Sign in to follow this  
LeifApex

FMC Approach Setup

Hello,

When i try to set up the approach to my destination (in this example i'm gonna use route EKCH-LKPR), the STAR won't link to the rest of the route, and i don't get a discontinuity (see attached picture), i choose the appropriate STAR transaction in the DEP/APR page of the FMC, and it doesn't link up. In this case it doesn't look that bad, but what happens in the linked video sometimes happens to me. Its like it duplicates the STAR and inserts the entry waypoint after the STAR fixes or something. I end up having to mess around until i magically get it fixed. Any tips on how to avoid this or am i seting it up incorrectly? (As you can see in the picture, after the DEP/APR STAR is selected, it generates a "VECTOR" FIX og point, which i don't know what is?

https://gyazo.com/66e95e288c3bfb331e2e12f415c0815d

Also, i wanna ask when you guys usually do the approach setup. I've seen posts from real world pilots who set it up mid-flight, but i tried to check, and the T/D moves further along the route when connecting the full route to the STAR and airport, so when is it usually done?

Thanks in advance, Nikolai.

56 minutes ago, LeifApex said:

or am i seting it up incorrectly?

This.

Either find a route planning program that is aware of SIDs/STARs (SimBrief.com is an excellent, and free, planner that will do all of this for you), or make sure to learn as much as you can about route planning.

57 minutes ago, LeifApex said:

(As you can see in the picture, after the DEP/APR STAR is selected, it generates a "VECTOR" FIX og point, which i don't know what is?

I'm not seeing a vector on the legs page. If the legs page says "(VECTOR)" this means that this is a segment at which you will receive a vector from ATC.

58 minutes ago, LeifApex said:

Also, i wanna ask when you guys usually do the approach setup. I've seen posts from real world pilots who set it up mid-flight, but i tried to check, and the T/D moves further along the route when connecting the full route to the STAR and airport, so when is it usually done?

Depends on the crew. I usually set up SID and STAR before even leaving the departure field. I add the approach in whenever it is assigned (on first contact with approach, usually). If I'm not flying on VATSIM, I add it somewhere around FL200 and 10,000.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

23 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This.

Either find a route planning program that is aware of SIDs/STARs (SimBrief.com is an excellent, and free, planner that will do all of this for you), or make sure to learn as much as you can about route planning.

I'm not seeing a vector on the legs page. If the legs page says "(VECTOR)" this means that this is a segment at which you will receive a vector from ATC.

Depends on the crew. I usually set up SID and STAR before even leaving the departure field. I add the approach in whenever it is assigned (on first contact with approach, usually). If I'm not flying on VATSIM, I add it somewhere around FL200 and 10,000.

One of the most important points in this post was that as seen in the video linked, when I choose an appropriate star matching my last waypoint, something like that will happen to my route and i’ll Have to guess my way into cutting some waypoints and in the end by a lucky guess fix the route. Any ideas on how to avoid what happens in the video?

6 minutes ago, LeifApex said:

One of the most important points in this post was that as seen in the video linked, when I choose an appropriate star matching my last waypoint, something like that will happen to my route and i’ll Have to guess my way into cutting some waypoints and in the end by a lucky guess fix the route. Any ideas on how to avoid what happens in the video?

Didn't even realize it was a video.

Couple things:

1. You'll definitely want to fly our tutorials. Both of the tutorials for the NGX. These explain how to properly alter your flight plan. You're stuffing the STAR at the end of the flight plan. In this case, you should've line selected VEVAR up to the top of the LEGS page.
  2. It looks like you didn't use the flight plan listed in your paperwork, and, instead, loaded a flight plan that had the wrong waypoints in it - if you had hand-entered what was in the paperwork, you wouldn't have run into this issue.
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

20 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Didn't even realize it was a video.

Couple things:

1. You'll definitely want to fly our tutorials. Both of the tutorials for the NGX. These explain how to properly alter your flight plan. You're stuffing the STAR at the end of the flight plan. In this case, you should've line selected VEVAR up to the top of the LEGS page.
  2. It looks like you didn't use the flight plan listed in your paperwork, and, instead, loaded a flight plan that had the wrong waypoints in it - if you had hand-entered what was in the paperwork, you wouldn't have run into this issue.

I just want to note that it is not my video, but similar has happened to me even when using a flightplan from SimBrief, and as the screenshot (which is mine) shows that the star didn’t connect to the final ILS “route” with runway heading.

And how exactly do I fly these tutorials? I’ve checked my FSX:SE “load flights” page, and they aren’t there?

7 minutes ago, LeifApex said:

And how exactly do I fly these tutorials?

<sim root>\PMDG\NGX\Flight Manuals\ - Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2 will be in there. Just follow along.

Kyle Rodgers

12 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

<sim root>\PMDG\NGX\Flight Manuals\ - Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2 will be in there. Just follow along.

Ok - i’ll Try it when I get home