Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Saitek/Logitech Switch Panel not recognized by P3Dv4

I just bought & installed the switch panel. I also have Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, throttle quad and rudders. I’m pretty good with IT in general and FSUIPC and Lua scripts. So i’m very happy with my FSUIPC profiles  I have been playing with a trial version of SPAD.neXt but I’d really rather just use FSUIPC. I don’t have the radio panels. 

I downloaded the Logitech plug in (P3Dv4) and panel test software but I can’t get P3D to recognize the switch panel. When I run the test software the LEDs and all switches work so I know Windows is recognizing the panel. I’ve looked at the Device Manager and initially there was an unrecognized USB entry which I think I’ve resolved. In the HID section there is the yoke and rudder entries but just a USB entry that I believe is the panel. Is there a trick to getting P3Dv4 to see the panel without using SPAD?  Any help appreciated. 

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Unfortunately, the Saitek software is a flawed product that just does not mesh well with P3D. I believe you will have no choice but to bite the bullet and use SPAD.neXt. I went through the exact same, painful process a year ago.

Mario Di Lauro

2 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Unfortunately, the Saitek software is a flawed product that just does not mesh well with P3D. I believe you will have no choice but to bite the bullet and use SPAD.neXt. I went through the exact same, painful process a year ago.

I use the radio panels with P3Dv4 and the Saitek plugin. This suggests the Saitek plugin is compatible with P3Dv4 and hence I would expect the switch panel to work too. In the situation you describe, what seems most likely is you are not actually running the plugin. It is supposed to launch from exe.xml but sometimes the appropriate entry doesn't get installed. You can test by running the plugin manually after starting P3D. It should be in the same directory as the test program. If that works, you will need to manually add the appropriate section to exe,xml.

You can't use FSUIPC to program the switch panel because it is not a HID.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

SpadNext is the only way to go with the Saitek panels. Its really easy to use and much more powerful than the generic Saitek plugin. As the poster above said FSUIPC wont see the panels so you have no other choice but to use spad next. There are plenty of profiles for different airplanes that you can download or share if you want. you can even program your controllers there too. I actually find it easier to use than FSUIPC but I do use them both.   Josh

• Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Thanks all. I’ll start learning SPAD.neXt. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 PM, bbuckley said:

Thanks all. I’ll start learning SPAD.neXt. 

Spad.Next is a good choice. It is complicated and will require a learning curve.  In the meantime, go back into Control Panel, Device Settings, HIDS's and check each of your Saitek USB devices's properties.  Look for Advanced Power Management and if set for any  of the devices then unselect it.  Then also do a web search for "SaitekUSBFix.zip" or an equivalent app.  It will remove Windows Advanced Power Management from the Registry for each Saitek device it finds.

Windows Advanced Power Management started with Windows 7 and it and Saitek devices have never liked each other.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

All I would say is, save yourself undue hassle by making sure you are fixing the right problem. For me that starts with establishing definitively that the official Saitek plugin doesn't work for the switch panel. Look here for someone who appears to have established that it does work.

However, if you feel you have done this there is reportedly a third-party increment (v0.7) of the original SPAD (which is nothing to do with SPAD.neXt) that makes it compatible with P3Dv4. I have not tried it, but you can get it here and try it for yourself. I wouldn't spend time fiddling with the USB power management until you have symptoms that are consistent with this being a problem.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

@fppilot  Thanks, I have done all the USB and power management procedures.  I'm a longtime Saitek yoke pro, throttles and rudder user.  No joy.  But no worries. Thanks.

@MarkDH Thanks also. For all my worries it only took me a few hours to become proficient in SPAD.neXt since I was already fluent in FSUIPC, LVARS and Lua Scripts.  After playing just a bit, it was pretty easy to create 3 or 4 profiles for different aircraft types and everything is up & running like a charm. I don't mind purchasing SPAD.neXt (or any good product), and I will shortly (I still have 10 days of my free trial).