Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Drones back but now at Heathrow!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yeah, one can track a frequency source with some degree of accuracy these days, just need to get the equipment and training to the Heathrow police department.

Cheers, Rob.

word not allowed, stupid people can never be less dumb. They always surpass themselves with their idiotic doings it seems. 

• Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

18 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yeah, one can track a frequency source with some degree of accuracy these days, just need to get the equipment and training to the Heathrow police department.

Problem is, many drones can be preprogrammed to fly a preset flight profile without need for the control transmitter to be active, and the newer generations often use spread-spectrum RF control links, which make it very difficult to get a DF track, especially if there are other signals interspersed on the channels.

I considered getting myself a new Phantom 4 drone for Christmas, but did not, because I'm getting that hinky feeling that major restrictions or bans may soon be coming in the wake of the kind of misbehavior we're seeing from the enviro-terrorists in the UK, and with the many other as-yet unrealized nefarious possibilities for misuse.  All it's gonna take is one successful deployment of an explosive or poison-delivery weapon with a drone, and the doo-doo is gonna hit the fan.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yep, just takes a few to spoil it for everyone and they know that ... rebel without a cause.  I seem to recall an incident in UK (Brands Hatch) where 3 kids drove their street VW onto the track while a race was in progress ... they did it for "laughs" ... race had to be red flagged.  Their "laugh" has since cost everyone involved in the sport of auto racing to fork out more cash to hold and attend a race event as more security is now required and more regulations ... etc. etc.

It's why a society without regulations could never exist successfully ... someone will always (without exception) screw it up for everyone else ... like someone building a nuclear reactor next to one's home and then dumping the radioactive rods into your local favorite fishing spot.  I guess it's built into human DNA, we must be regulated because we apparently are unable to employ common sense, courtesy, and compromises.

I might be flying in Heathrow next month, so I hope they can come up with something quickly to resolve this issue.

Cheers, Rob. 

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

I considered getting myself a new Phantom 4 drone for Christmas, but did not, because I'm getting that hinky feeling that major restrictions or bans may soon be coming in the wake of the kind of misbehavior we're seeing from the enviro-terrorists in the UK, and with the many other as-yet unrealized nefarious possibilities for misuse.

My wife bought me a cheap drone for a fun Christmas "toy" this year which has definitely caused the drone bug to bite.  The Phantom 4 is one I've also been drooling over the last few weeks.  Like you, however, I'm hesitant to invest in more serious hardware given recent activities and increasing regulation, with a strong possibility of far more to come.

Scott

What the people (or person) doing this does not know, is that there has been some pretty serious (R.A.F.) experimental equipment deployed to track down this sort of thing down now, as a direct result of the other incident a few weeks back in the UK. Someone who is in the know about this operation (at my works) told me a little bit about it, although obviously not in great detail. It sounded to me all very sci-fi in terms of its capabilities.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

What the people (or person) doing this does not know, is that there has been some pretty serious (R.A.F.) experimental equipment deployed to track down this sort of thing down now, as a direct result of the other incident a few weeks back in the UK. Someone who is in the know about this operation (at my works) told me a little bit about it, although obviously not in great detail. It sounded to me all very sci-fi in terms of its capabilities.

We will need it, otherwise our world will become like the future shown in the Terminator movies, where robots and drones menace humans under control of terrorist organizations or repressive governments.  It is the government's use of drones I am worried about, I guess the birds flying around are worried about them too.  The Wright Brothers were so PO'd when the government started to turn their invention into an instrument of terror, but they sold out to the military.  Santos Dumont was the first real champion of general aviation with his cute little ultralight Demosille. Some say he preceded the Wrights in the invention of flying, since I was not around at that time I could not say.  It really comes down to successful, controlled flight, especially when shown overseas.  The Wright's tried to patent flying, just like someone whose name I will not say, the Tom Riddle of flight simulation, tried to patent our hobby as his own idea.  I prefer flight simulation to RC flying, because it has become so realistic with the two dominate sim makers and their competitors, it is just preferable to be in the cockpit, in control, guiding an aircraft rather than letting it fly you, as my CFI's used to say.  I only use autopilot for cruise flight, once I get within 20 miles of an airport I switch to manual flight, no automated approaches for me since there is no challenge there.  Drones that follow preprogrammed flight paths are not the fun that my RC Motorized Glider flying was, which brought out my neighbors in awe of flight since my glider was a park flyer, but just barely since it had a 30 knot speed on approach and no spoilers to slow it down,  like real gliders have.  So I quit RC park flying until they create a prebuilt glider that can be slowed for landing.

John

• Like 1

Totally don't see the point to having a drone.

spacer.png

If you were a queen bee you wouldn't be asking that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Many do it for aerial photography, they want to see their house by the air, but Google Earth has that really covered well, I have used it to see all my old residences, places I've stayed for an extended time, like on business trips, and where my ex wife and I live now.  If I see weeds in her yard, I come over to trim the verge for her, something we enjoy doing together....

John

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

Leaving aside the fact that flying one is just plain (plane 🙂 ) fun - in a word - photography, both still and video.  Take a look at the Phantom 4 that Bob and I both reference.  The opportunities for incredible aerial photography are endless. 

A shame that a few bad actors spoil the show.

Scott

It seems to me like this was a DJI Drone. I think DJI needs to extend the No Fly Circle over Heathrow. Right now it's really small and you could fly your drone on the approach path

HAPPY FLYING
~G "Heavy1216" Edge

Intel Core i9 10850k 5.0ghz, GeFore RTX 3080 , ASUSTek Prime Z490-V, 32GB DDR4 3600

I also thought about buying a drone, just for fun and interest in all things which fly... But when I think about all the stupid things happened over the last years since drones are a hype, I dont want to be recognized as 'one of this drone idiots' when flying in public. 

Humans are too dumb for drones. Sad but true. 

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

6 hours ago, Boomer said:

Drones have certainly made aerial shots in movies a much more affordable proposition for directors and they are useful for making inspections of tall or inaccessible structures and such. Both of these endeavours used to be prohibitively expensive for anyone who couldn't afford to hire a helicopter and probably also a steadicam or other gimbled camera rig of some sort too. But all of those things are the sort of stuff businesses would do professionally and that's a very different proposition from some toerag with no idea of what he or she is playing at flying a drone in some restricted airspace, although having said that, even someone at home could use one to inspect the roof of their house, which might actually be a useful thing to do.

So I've no wish to spoil people's fun if they like flying them, but in my opinion, the things should be licensed and they should have transponder or some other sort of easily trackable system on them too. Nobody who wants to use a drone sensibly can really have an objection to taking a basic competency test which covers knowledge of airspace restrictions to ideally result in the user acquiring a license. So so long as it isn't stupidly expensive or needlessly bureaucratic to achieve this, which I can't imagine it would be, then I don't see how anyone with a degree of responsibility could object to this.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here