Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Drones back but now at Heathrow!

I got my daughter a radio control 4X4 truck for Christmas this year, she loves it. I agree no need for drones, that 4x4 in the mud in the backyard is awesome

Matthew Kane

The US enacted drone laws last year. They are somewhat weak in my opinion, but regulation is in place to cover airport intrusion. I'm not sure at this point how much scrutiny is given to them but all it takes is one idiot to violate a major airspace and all heck will break loose on drone owners. Seems like that's how we do things over here.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-united-states-of-america/

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I guess this is somewhat related. My showreel... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

6 hours ago, 188AHC said:

The US enacted drone laws last year. They are somewhat weak in my opinion, but regulation is in place to cover airport intrusion. I'm not sure at this point how much scrutiny is given to them but all it takes is one word not allowed to violate a major airspace and all heck will break loose on drone owners. Seems like that's how we do things over here.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-united-states-of-america/

Here is the new Canadian law by comparison, they are more regulated compared to the USA:

• Registered owners of drones must be at least 14 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada. Corporations and federal, municipal or provincial governments can also own drones.
  • If you want to fly a drone in conditions where it's not in visual line of sight at all times, you'll need a special certificate (among situations where a certificate is needed). The operator of a drone also won't be allowed to fly it too close to airports or heliports or in controlled airspace, and will have to give way to aircraft, airships, gliders and balloons.
  • With the exception of police, rescue and firefighting operations, nobody will be allowed to fly a drone over or within a security perimeter set up by officials in response to an emergency. That could prohibit news organizations from using drones equipped with cameras to get aerial footage of crimes, disasters or terrorist attacks.
  • Drinking alcohol within 12 hours of being on a drone flight crew is prohibited, as is being "under the influence of alcohol" or "any drug that impairs the person's faculties to the extent that aviation safety or the safety of any person is endangered or likely to be endangered."
  • Anyone who is tired or otherwise unable to properly perform their duties is prohibited from operating a drone or taking part in a drone flight crew.
  • No one will be allowed to fly a drone when the weather conditions prevent seeing it at all times, or when frost, ice or snow are stuck to it. Anyone wanting to fly a drone at night will need special lights.
  • To fly a drone over a concert or sporting event, the operator will need a special flight operations certificate. It will also take a special flight operations certificate for a drone to transport things like explosives, weapons, ammunition, or flammable or biohazardous material.
  • There will be two levels of pilot certificates to operate a drone. Those with a basic certificate will have to be at least 14 years old and pass a test. However, the regulations also provide for someone under 14 to operate a drone if supervised by someone 14 or older who has a certificate.
  • Those with advanced operations certificates will get to fly closer to airports and controlled airspace. They will have to be at least 16 years old and pass an exam and a flight review.
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

I guess this is somewhat related. My showreel... 

Not impressed with the video Howard.  I guess it's something you can do with a $900 gadget but visit to websites does much of the same with tons of images inside and out.  I use Google if I want to walk down the streets of Miami or look at an aerial view.  I still see no reason for private citizens to own except for some voyeurism and most of that is illegal.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Drones are also banned in all Florida State Parks. I'm not sure about National Parks but I've heard they are banned there too except by special permit.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

21 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Not impressed with the video Howard.  I guess it's something you can do with a $900 gadget but visit to websites does much of the same with tons of images inside and out.  I use Google if I want to walk down the streets of Miami or look at an aerial view.  I still see no reason for private citizens to own except for some voyeurism and most of that is illegal.

Interesting response Jim. I'm perplexed you're not impressed, not that I'm bothered, I guess my 25 years as a cameraman have been in vain! Silly me, I just thought as a long term member of Avsim, some may be interested in my efforts as a CAA commercially licenced operator. Next time I'm asked to capture material for a TV documentary I'll point them in your direction and get them to ask you to log into Google Earth!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Drones can provide some very useful features for Military, Police, Fire & Rescue ... from locating people stranded and finding the best route to rescue or to enter a building that is on fire and looking for people that might need to be rescued, or scanning a suspicious package (aka bomb) without putting someone else in danger.  There are many other practical uses for drones including providing imagery at a fraction of the cost for scenery developers to use in a flight simulator.

Oddly drones do have more restriction than guns and I see no reason why "unqualified" private citizens should have guns either (and gun users have caused far more deaths than drone users) ... maybe drone users need to start an DRA 😉 

There are valid reasons for both guns/drones, it's the qualification process and poor choices on how to regulate which is often controlled by special interest which is really another word for "sales" (aka money).  I got more of a qualification/challenge process when "applying" to own a pet from our local Pet adoption center, than walking into a gun store in Florida where I just need to fork over the cash cause I clearly look over 18 ... in fact I could have bought every gun in the store and there is no law to prevent, same with drones and now that some DIYer's have modified "personal use" drones with weapons can't wait for that abuse to ramp up and the trouble it's going to cause.  It's a world where common sense and consistency doesn't seem to apply ... we accept that humans are flawed but don't seem to put in place the necessary "effective" restrictions to minimize the impact of our flaws. 

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I got more of a qualification/challenge process when "applying" to own a pet from our local Pet adoption center, than walking into a gun store in Florida

Bizarre 😣 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

57 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Interesting response Jim. I'm perplexed you're not impressed, not that I'm bothered, I guess my 25 years as a cameraman have been in vain! Silly me, I just thought as a long term member of Avsim, some may be interested in my efforts as a CAA commercially licenced operator. Next time I'm asked to capture material for a TV documentary I'll point them in your direction and get them to ask you to log into Google Earth!

You did not indicate you made the video (you did indicate "my showreel" which, in the USA could mean you were referencing a video to show the capabilities of the drone).  If so impressive.  I thought you were showing something commercially made to show why we should buy drones.  After 25 years, I cannot be right every time.  I get some things wrong once in a while. 

I do know they are also used to help video and photograph weddings and funerals. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

You did not indicate you made the video (you did indicate "my showreel" which, in the USA could mean you were referencing a video to show the capabilities of the drone).  If so impressive.  I thought you were showing something commercially made to show why we should buy drones.  After 25 years, I cannot be right every time.  I get some things wrong once in a while. 

I do know they are also used to help video and photograph weddings and funerals. 

No probs Jim, I'm usually the first to get my words tied up! 😉

Howard

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

In addition to a wide range of other completely legitimate fun and creative uses. 

Believe me, I have no desire to play voyeur or interfere with other's lives.  My own personal desire to own a quality video drone is due to my love for all things that fly, coupled with my years as an avid amateur photographer.  Combining those two would, I believe, be a great deal of fun.  I'm afraid, however, that the regulatory atmosphere is going to change almost as rapidly as the increasing number of places where flight will be banned outright due to those who always seem to pop up and spoil a good thing for the majority of conscientious users.

Scott

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

You can photograph and film almost everything with drones, Jim. A thousand times cheaper, quieter and safer than with helicopters.
Adding countless other uses, there is no way back from drones. And there shouldn't be.

It's not drones that are dangerous. It's people who misuse them, just like they misuse guns, cars, money or whatever else.

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Rafal said:

You can photograph and film almost everything with drones, Jim. A thousand times cheaper, quieter and safer than with helicopters.
Adding countless other uses, there is no way back from drones. And there shouldn't be.

It's not drones that are dangerous. It's people who misuse them, just like they misuse guns, cars, money or whatever else.

That is true economically but drones aren't nearly as much fun as helicopters.😁

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Drone photography, as with other types of aerial photography, can be very cool.  I mounted a camera to my Radian Glider, then flew it high until I could get the perfect picture of my daughter's grammar school, which was just behind our house across a park our house backed into, about a quarter mile or so away.  I emailed the picture to the school principal, who was a good man that everyone adored until he got promoted to another school district.  My daughter, my wife and I were proud supporters of him because of the way he supported his kids and my daughter, finally giving her the principal's award for he high grades.  He said he would mount the picture my camera took on his office wall.  It was not the highest res, but good enough in those days.  Sadly my Radian died because of radio interference from Luke AFB, even though it was five miles away their jamming equipment could "shoot down" (not on purpose), even the newest spread spectrum fighters.  The glider company gave me a replacement which I never flew.  My glider crashed in a nosedive, without radio control, on a full recharge, from 1000 feet straight down into the street, just missing a car.  The impact was so violent that the glider broke into several pieces, and destroyed the camera, even though I found the SD card it contained nothing because the file could not be written due to the crash.  I decided that so called "Park Flyers" were too unsafe to fly in a metro area like Phoenix, and the desert being full of rattlesnakes was no place to fly them either, so I gave my replacement glider to a good friend and told him where and how to fly it, in a bigger park, much bigger, than the one I flew it in, away from airports and possible RF interference, even on Spread Spectrum.  

John