Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Drones back but now at Heathrow!

5 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I just thought as a long term member of Avsim, some may be interested in my efforts as a CAA commercially licenced operator.

Finally had a chance to view this at home, and I am DEFINITELY impressed.  Some very nice work there Howard, thanks for sharing!

Scott

6 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Drones are also banned in all Florida State Parks. I'm not sure about National Parks but I've heard they are banned there too except by special permit.

As I've been researching, I've found a morass of conflicting and overlapping laws between state, federal and local governments here in the US.  Here in Colorado, for example, some cities have extremely restrictive rules effectively banning drone flight, national parks pretty much completely ban flight (there are exceptions, but for all intents and purposes, they're banned), national forests are OK, but not near campgrounds or over roads and trails or over any designated wilderness areas.  Similar rules exist for BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land.  Also banned in Colorado state parks other than in a couple of small designated areas.

Claims that restrictions are few simply don't, well, fly based on the research I've been doing as part of my pre-buy decision making.  The real issue - as shown with the situations at Gatwick and Heathrow - relate to enforcement more than actual legal restrictions being in place.  In practice, law-abiding pilots have to be pretty careful to keep things legal.  It's the scoff-laws that cause the problems.

Scott

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, Boomer said:

Totally don't see the point to having a drone.

I use one to examine antennas and cables on towers on which I have equipment installed. It's a darn sight less expensive than hiring a professional tower climber! If there's a problem, I can at least tell the climber where the problem is located, and be fairly sure he's got the part(s) he'll need once he gets there! :gaul:

Edited by n4gix
speeling erroars!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's a great use,  Bill.  

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

8 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Bizarre 😣 

Howard nothing wrong with your demo reel but consider you are using a thread about people using drones to shut down Heathrow/Gatwick for your self promotion. Not really the time or place

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

So, what ever became of the Gatwick drone incident? Two people were initially detained then released. Some tabloids have even claimed that the sitings were an example of "mass hysteria". In any case, it seems that more information is needed before any conclusions can be made.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

So, what ever became of the Gatwick drone incident? Two people were initially detained then released. Some tabloids have even claimed that the sitings were an example of "mass hysteria". In any case, it seems that more information is needed before any conclusions can be made.

Last I heard it was possible there was never even a drone. One theory is construction visible through the airport from the other side may have looked like a drone in certain visibility. I don't live there so I can't confirm. As for those two arrested (husband and wife) the neighbours reported them to the police because he used to fly drones as a hobby, but he no longer owned one and was in no way connected. Just a witch hunt from the looks of it. 

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

5 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Howard nothing wrong with your demo reel but consider you are using a thread about people using drones to shut down Heathrow/Gatwick for your self promotion. Not really the time or place

Hi Matt, sure, I hear what you're saying. It wasn't self promotion, although now that you mention it I can see how it can be seen as that. I really didn't think about it that way, I just thought it would be of interest. I guess not, but anyway, thanks for the observation. All the best. 😉

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

In these cases Jay, it's always difficult to assess what is fact and what is perception, especially when the media get their teeth into things. There was a statement after the incident from the police, saying that some of the sightings may have been of the police drones that were used to survey the area!! It was 'reported' that 119 sightings were seen!  "MAY have been police drones" I think that was a fairly high probability!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

4 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Matt, sure, I hear what you're saying. It wasn't self promotion, although now that you mention it I can see how it can be seen as that. I really didn't think about it that way, I just thought it would be of interest. I guess not, but anyway, thanks for the observation. All the best. 😉

A classy response, Howard.

For the record, it was of interest to me as noted earlier and I thought completely relevant to the discussion at hand given the direction some of the conversation had taken.

Scott

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tttocs said:

A classy response, Howard.

For the record, it was of interest to me as noted earlier and I thought completely relevant to the discussion at hand given the direction some of the conversation had taken.

Scott

Thanks Scott, appreciated.

Howard

People being stupid has nothing to do with it. It's the lack of morality in demonstrable psychopathic behavior. Could either be would be terrorists just seeing what they can get away with or some attention seeker who couldn't get enough likes on his Facebook page just by posting moronic memes. Hey like THIS ************s! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

11 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Howard,

I've seen the video before, I do like it, and I have commented on it positively in the past as you already know. My comment was meant as a friend as I have known you for many years.

I got a message from a moderator saying that the comment was rude and issued a warning. All my years on AVSIM I Have never had a warning so this is a first. Howard if that was offensive to you I do apologize to you as a friend.

With that I am giving AVSIM a long term break as I find this warning quite bizarre. Later Skaters... 

Matthew Kane

11 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Hi Howard,

I've seen the video before, I do like it, and I have commented on it positively in the past as you already know. My comment was meant as a friend as I have known you for many years.

I got a message from a moderator saying that the comment was rude and issued a warning. All my years on AVSIM I Have never had a warning so this is a first. Howard if that was offensive to you I do apologize to you as a friend.

With that I am giving AVSIM a long term break as I find this warning quite bizarre. Later Skaters... 

Blimey Matt, yes we have known each other for a long time, around Orbx in particular. A warning? Like you say that is not only bizarre, but rediculous. I never saw the comment as rude and to issue a warning is OTT. Please don't take a 'break' that is OTT too 😉  It's nice to see familiar faces around both Avsim and Orbx your presence around the forums would be missed 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

37 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Hi Howard,

I do not understand the warning too.  I have revoked. 

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10