Sign in to follow this  
tset

X-Plane RXP GTN VNAV VCDI / LCDI

Hello all,  I'm looking for a basic example to get vnav to drive a vertical display indicator.  For the XP C172, what should the RXP plugin settings be to get the CDI vdi working.  It works fine for vertically guided approaches.  I am ok on setting up the GTN flight plan for vnav, I think.  At least vnav is working pretty well for me in the Laminar G1000.  Or is vnav vdi not going to work until we have the G600?

I guess for enroute vnav autopilot coupling we have to wait for XP 11.30 autoconfigured autopilots(anyone seen these?), and use the GFC700 autopilot model that has vnav?  

Regards, TS

Hi,

is the C172 instrument showing up a VDI is:

• HSI: then connect GPS to HSI
  • VOR: then connect GPS to VOR

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

hey, thanks, but still (xp 11.21r2) not working.  I have the GTN in 2D on top of the Laminar 530 and 430, do I need to somehow disable them?

Posted in the FlightSim area (FSX/P3d) but is about xPlane.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

hi,

I am having a problem since 11.30 came out.
Without RXP guage initialised the default 530 and subsequently aircraft operate normally.
As soon as I add the GTN750 in, the default GPS reverts Speed and DTK to 0, CDI remains centered, default 530 looses all map icons and possibly its location but the distance is correct, meanwhile the course bar completely disappears from the CDI.
The aircraft dev has said in a previous post that the aircraft just takes the native 530 outputs, I can only assume the RXP is doing odd stuff now.

Slightly lost, tried deleting and reinitialising the rxp.ini file in the aircraft folder. Setting the 750 to not be the master device brings back all the info, but the CDI then reverts to the 530 indications and the auto update GPS waypoints option is not pushing the plan across to the 530.

Version 2.5.11

Any suggestions?

Edited by big_nick

@tset Hi,

this is most likely a limitation of their G1000. The GTN and GNS V2 have to override X-Plane datarefs so that other instruments could display the data (LCDI, VCDI, TO/FR flag for example). This works with X-Plane 'override' datarefs and the 'Panel Instruments' settings tell which 'set' of datarefs to override (nav_needle, gps, etc...).

However, it is possible their G1000, as opposed to a 3rd party G1000, feeds data directly from the internal source instead of from their own public datarefs. If this is the case there is nothing we can do unfortunately.

Mind you, the G1000 is supposed to be its own GPS system too.

@big_nick The reasons are the same as for the G1000 explained above: it uses internal sources directly and the X-Plane SDK only allow 3rd parties to override all or nothing. In other words, when using the RXP GTN or GNS V2 you wouldn't need using the default 530.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I see.
It was working fine before 11.30, had the GTN embedded in the VC in place of the 530. It just randomly stopped picking up the Nav inputs on me, try to engage it and the plane just goes off on some random direction. Just noticed the nav indications on the EHSI matched the 530 when I brought it back. Must be the EHSI dragging direct numbers or something then.

I suspect with their introduction of new autopilots and the GNSS mode, they might have broken (or at least not documented enough the changes) old-time SDK approved 'override' methods?! Do you confirm this is working fine though, in 11.30, with any aircraft not using their G1000?

I have it in the Aerobask EA50 and its working ok. The problem child is the LES SF34. 
The Saab it seems to be completely ignoring the RXP data now, have had it in the 530 frame without issue up until now. Their support forum had another case of similar GPS lack of position problems with the default, response was "The 530 in the Saab is stock/default.  If you truly believe something has changed in 11.30 you should file a bug with Laminar." Obviously using the RXP gauge I came here with it.

The best I've worked out playing with all the settings is connecting it to the VOR1 indication, in which case it will track it but oscillates pretty bad. I did notice the same settings in the EA50 the PFD was solid, but the standby CDI was constantly flickering like it was fighting to be the dominant source. I can grab a video of it but won't be home till the weekend. 

Edited by big_nick

It looks like being aircraft-related to some degree. Was there any update to this aircraft 'made for', or concomitant to the release of X-Plane 11.30? Should you have kept a copy of the previous X-Plane release version (11.26) you might want to try their latest aircraft version and our latest GTN in the previous X-Plane to compare?

No update, only XP itself, and being steam based no reversion available.
I'll keep playing around with it and see what happens.

Still playing around with settings etc trying to get a desired result, think something is fighting the RXP data.
Would editing out the 530_Screen gauge from the panel have any impact or is it happy sitting in the background of the GTN doing nothing?

I don't think removing the 530_Screen gauge will do anything. but you never know. What is certain though is XPlane override granularity is small: you override all or nothing of GPS, NAV, Autopilot. I don't know what could make these aircraft LCDI 'fighting' between 2 values because when the RXP GPS overrides, there is no other data to display for the gauge unless they do their own 'clever' implementation instead of just reading and displaying the available dataref.

Now you might want to try something different: what about re-installing the previous GTN v2.5.10 and compare? Previous installers are here: http://files.100megabyte.com/realityxp/rxpGTN-XPL(2.5.10).zip

Just delete the rxpGTN plugin folder, then reinstall over.

Edited by RXP