Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

What kind of CPU do you have, and do you plan on upgrading?

What kind of CPU do you use and do you plan on upgrading?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of CPU do you have?

• Core i3 7th generation
    • Core i3 8th generation
    • Core i5 older than 6th generation
    • Core i5 6th generation
    • Core i5 7th generation
    • Core i5 8th generation
    • Core i5 9th generation
    • Core i7 older than 6th generation
    • Core i7 6th generation
    • Core i7 7th generation
    • Core i7 8th generation
    • Core i7 9th generation
    • Core i9 7th generation
    • Core i9 8th generation
    • Core i9 9th generation
    • Pentium/Xeon/Celeron
    • None
  2. 2. (Ryzen) What kind of CPU do you have?

• Ryzen 3 1200
    • Ryzen 3 Pro 1200
    • Ryzen 3 1300X
    • Ryzen 3 Pro 1300
    • Ryzen 5 1400
    • Ryzen 5 1500X
    • Ryzen 5 Pro 1500
    • Ryzen 5 1600
    • Ryzen 5 Pro 1600
    • Ryzen 5 1600X
    • Ryzen 7 1700
    • Ryzen 7 Pro 1700
    • Ryzen 7 1700X
    • Ryzen 7 Pro 1700X
    • Ryzen 7 1800
    • Ryzen Threadripper 1900X
    • Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
    • Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
    • None
  3. 3. What are your thoughts with your current CPU?

• I'm happy with my current CPU.
    • I would like to upgrade to a newer generation Intel CPU.
    • I would like to upgrade to a newer generation Ryzen CPU.

Wow!  Available only to system builders through an auction, so prices will be high.  Couple that with no warranty from Intel means truly maximum profit for Intel, system builders could be left holding a bunch of dead chips and those computers that get built and sold are going to be quite pricey.  Intel, in their quest for more money, has cut out the DIY and small builder market.  This is just the sort of thing that can drive people to AMD.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

3 hours ago, stans said:

Wow!  Available only to system builders through an auction, so prices will be high.  Couple that with no warranty from Intel means truly maximum profit for Intel, system builders could be left holding a bunch of dead chips and those computers that get built and sold are going to be quite pricey.  Intel, in their quest for more money, has cut out the DIY and small builder market.  This is just the sort of thing that can drive people to AMD.

I don't think it's a big deal. First it's not 100% confirmed, and secondly it's not new. 

Don't think it's unusual for Intel or AMD to create a non retail chip. Sometimes chips intended for speciality markets or limited editions are made only for OEM's. OEM's would buy them for "boutique" systems. Basically you and I would just ignore it. Don't think it's anything new. Plenty more chips to go around for you and I. 

Who knows, if the system builders cant sell there highly priced systems with fancy CPU's Intel might switch it to retail. 

I currently have the Ryzen 2700x (not in the Poll option list). Very happy with it so far. I might upgrade to the Ryzen 3700x when its released, rumours are it will be as easy as change the CPU and flashing the bios.

I have a 6700K @ 4.7 with 32gb RAM and a 1080Ti. Have had it (apart from the 1080TI) since the end of december 2015 and it keeps up really well. I have thought about upgrading but am unsure as to how much of a performance bump going ftom 4.7 in my 6700K to, say 5,0 ghz in a 9900K would give me...? A boost of five percent? To really benefit I would have to swap the 1080Ti to a 2080Ti as well.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

i7 Sandy Bridge running since 2011 on watercooling with 4,5Ghz and still very, very well... The GPU upgraded from 580GTX to 1060GTX and 8Mb ram to 16Mb ram and running FSX, P3dV4.4 at 30fps steady. (by the way... last week I tried a 1080TI in it and gives only minor + performance compared to the 1060GTX

I got an 8086k just before the holidays, and have no intention of upgrading for a while.  This chip is a beast, and easiest I have had since the Celeron 300 MHz to get a good overclock.  I de-lidded, and applied liquid metal, and with a CoolerMaster M360R AIO cooler got it to 5.3 GHz with 1.4v.  Stress test with P95, OCCT, AIDA, Cinebench, Realbench never peaked above 80C.  Under P3D 4.4, I rarely get to 70 C and my sim is running the smoothest I have seen in a long time.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I have an i5 3570k that I've had overclocked to 4.6ghz since I bought it in 2012 (!). Unfortunately it's starting to require more and more voltage to keep it stable. I'm sure it still has some life left in it before the temperatures get out of control, but I still had to look at replacing it. Intel is still king when it comes to single thread performance which FSX/P3D and X-plane desire the most. I wanted to wait until Intel made the move to the new die process but I guess I won't be able to wait that long.

Just seen a video from Linus with a Motherboard from china that supports Intel 7th 8th and 9TH CPUs something the AIB partners are forbidden to do by Intel. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

13 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Sunny Cove is where it's at.  Can't wait till later this year.  

Yes but Icy cave cove is coming six months after that. 😀 Just kidding max.

• Like 1

Still running an i5-2500k @4.5Ghz. It definitely does a good job, but looking at going with the latest 9700k with a new Mobo and SSD setup. Not anytime soon unfortunately... 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

have 4 systems for P3D v4.4  have 2licences uninstall client to change pc , 

4790k @4.8ghz  2x8gb 2666 c10 dominator act as my base system keep it only to have a clue how much better the new cpus is( only test it when a new versoin or patch of P3D is realeased)  , have one X99 I7 5960 but its weaker then the 4790k my personal thought.

AMD Ryzen 1800X @4.1ghz 2x8gb trident 3400 c14, most have a AMD lot of things happen good cpu work well with 4k and 30hz

Intel I7 8700k @5.5ghz 2x8gb dominator 4600 c19 at 4400mhz c17 very nice system fps maker but not my first choice.

Intel I9 7920X @5.1ghz 4x8 dominator 4000 c17 , my main P3DV4.4 and XP11.30 system

cant vote with only one choice , happy with the 2 last cpus , have not find a goodr 9900k yet most do 5.6ghz probly very hard to find until that i not uppgrade the main P3D PC.

Edited by westman

On 1/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, Nagmaal said:

I currently have the Ryzen 2700x (not in the Poll option list). Very happy with it so far. I might upgrade to the Ryzen 3700x when its released, rumours are it will be as easy as change the CPU and flashing the bios.

Same here, definitely going 3700x - 5.0GHz turbo stock with no O/C with 12 cores for about $329 at 105W, the bang for the buck will be hard to beat. Yes there will always be faster but at what cost.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I am still running the Core i7 970-based machine with Nvidia GTX580 that I built around 2010 / 11 or thereabouts. Yes, oh the humanity. After realising that my machine really can't handle most payware scenery and aircraft add-ons to my satisfaction, I had been planning to upgrade to something like the i7 9900X. But I have decided to hold off until the next generation after that, since Intel are claiming there will be an emphasis on further improvements in single core performance on these next generation processors over the next two years.

It was quite sobering when I looked up CPU comparison tables and noted that a state of art Intel CPU of today is "only" around 70% faster than my decade old CPU in single core performance. Whilst the actual improvement in FSX might be a bit different than that (maybe a bit better, maybe a bit worse), I well remember the days when a 70% improvement in performance could easily happen within twelve months and often less than that.

So I am holding off. I want good value for money for my next build and I want it to run for the best part of a decade like my current machine has. For me, a 70% performance boost isn't quite enough to warrant the upgrade, but something more akin to 90% is. Especially given I have held off this long for an upgrade - I might as well get the best value out of it. So I guess I am hoping that the Intel CPUs on the market come 2021 are at least 90% faster in single core applications than my ancient Core i7 970 is and possibly even double the speed with some mild over-clocking.