Sign in to follow this  
RustyFlyer

Compressed textures: Windows 10 & nVidia conflict

Hi there, for those using Windows 10 [Pro] along with nVidia [current drivers], I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems (white aircraft) with certain [compressed] formats of aircraft textures as a consequence of the corporate dynamic that exists between Microsoft and nVidia as described by this post from the nVidia forum:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/905976/geforce-drivers/fsx-fligh

No, this is not a problem of the DirectX 10 Preview feature being selected or not selected, and it is not a problem of excessive texture file resolution. This is a system problem. I.e.: Windows 10 OS, itself, cannot open and/or read these certain few .bmp or .dds files when dtx compression is involved. Sure, I can use tools like DXTBmp and ImageTool to open, convert and edit/work with such files, and Photoshop can as well to some degree; but I was simply wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue with their system & OS in general. Apparently, this is a more significant and external dynamic than simply a case of having to select different app preferences, etc.

I can work with it all, but I'm Just curious really; thanks!

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

How's about a picture to show what you are talking about?  If you are unsure about how to post a screenshot, there is a sticky posted in this forum explaining the procedure.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thank you, Charlie. Sure I could post a screenshot, but it would simply show a completely white exterior for the respective aircraft. The interior is fine, and I know why that is- the creator is noit using compressed texture files for those elements. I know exactly which texture files from the respective aircrafts' texture folders in the SimObjects directory which are not displaying. I know what is happening; I was simply curious if anyone else was experiencing this. Thanks much for your reply! 🙂

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Hey Charlie,

Here's a screenshot (by another) of *exactly* what I see in my FSX startup screen when I am selecting an aircraft. The externally white aircraft (panel & interior look just fine) is also what appears when actually flying the plane and looking at it with an external view. Note that this only happens with certain aircraft [when compressed textures are utilized by the aircraft creator].:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-1511-update-results-in-unable-to/13ff1678-5567-442d-8496-e528edca72a3

And here's an interesting post by another whom experiences the exact same issue that I describe:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?314767-Compressed-textures-Windows-10-amp-nVidia-conflict&p=2069065#post2069065

As I had indicated, this is not specifically an FSX thing, rather it is an OS thing as my relatively new Alienware (and most other imaging programs) cannot open the bmp and does not recognize it as a "supported file format". I can open the texture files though with DXTbmp or ImageTool (and, to some degree, Photoshop).

Thanks again! Russ

Edited by RustyFlyer

Simply batch-converted the DXT-1, compressed .bmp texture files to uncompressed .bmp, and all's good, all works just fine. Sure, it consumes a bit more storage space in the respective texture folders, and there is a 1 - 2 fps hit as a consequence of the larger texture files but, hey, the solution works and it allows me to choose the livery of my choice. Oh well...................... lol.