Sign in to follow this  

Princess juliana airport crj700 landing

Hello

How do i land at princiess juliana airport in crj700? When i am lined up the copilot says to cut throttle. Thats when i disengage the autopilot and start gliding to the runeay with a speed of 130 knots and 3000 ft altitude. I then usually land before the runway or the side.  I am using a keyboard and when i approach for landing the copilot says to set flaps at 45 degrees and when i set flaps to 45 degrees an alarm like sounds. 
Thanks

J

I thought I just answered this??  Maybe on another forum site?:blink:  I take it you are flying the Caribbean Landing Mission?  My first recommendation is to get yourself a Joystick with throttle and twist rudder combination.  They are not expensive.  Maybe $39 at Amazon.  I almost tossed the FSX Demo into the trash because of trying to use a keyboard for control.

The co-pilot actually says cut the thrust back to idle but this is usually not such a great idea as you will need to add a little power just before touchdown.  The alarm you here is a gear warning sound  Your gear should be down already.

If you are flying the Mission, why are you using A/P and/or AT.  Best to practice your hand flying.😉

Can I safely assume your butt is firmly planted in the pilot's seat and you are not flying in an outside view?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

In the meantime are you using Mouse Yoke? Ctrl+Y toggles it and you can use the mouse for elevator/aileron control. Much better than keyboard flying if you don't have a yoke or joystick.

Try watching a few of the many YouTube videos showing examples of flying this mission, you might get some good tips. I agree with Charlie this is a good hand-flying approach.

Learn to use the PAPI lights to make sure you're on the glide path. Once on path and you are in landing configuration (gear down and full flaps), get your thrust around 45 to 50% to maintain final approach speed. Go to idle power (F1) at the runway threshold and flare a bit just above the runway and you'll have a smooth landing. With engines at idle use F2 to get reverse thrust, then F1 to idle again.

Landing on the center line mainly just takes practice. You can download Lord of the Landing from the Avsim Library to help with landing practice.

• Like 1

Barry Friedman

When you touch down, don't forget to hit / to engage the spoilers to go with the F2 reverse throttle.  I have been flying the default CRJ 700 quite a bit lately and I don't believe there is an autospoiler available.  Also be sure to kill all the autopilot speed hold before or after you hit the autopilot off switch.  I don't know if that is normal but the engines try to maintain approach power if you don't kill the speed hold (even with autopilot turned off).

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I am considering the logitech extreme 3d joystick it has accelerator and twist rudder control. Yes i am flying in cockpit view mode and i am seated when attempting landing.  I am trying hand flying.

I downloaded Lord of Landing and will try it.

Does the julianna airport in fsx have papi lights?

How do I engage spoilers?

i will turn off speed hold.

Yes Princess Juliana has PAPI lights.  You can engage spoilers after you land with the / key.  I don't believe the CRJ700 (default aircraft) has autospoilers.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I highly recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick.  I'm using one now.  Here is a minor suggestion to try.  Instead of an intermediate Mission,Caribbean Landing, try the Beginner Mission "Transitioning to Jets".  You will learn a lot about the CRJ-700 from a check-ride pilot who is sitting next to you as copilot.  You start off on the ground on a taxiway getting ready for takeoff.  The copilot will go through many of the steps in getting prepared.  He will tell you about changing the MFD displays and what they show.

You will be taking off from Glasgow, Scotland heading for Edinburgh airport.  After landing, you will be guided to your parking spot.

I just tried the Juliana landing and it still is pretty smooth!  I use 140 knots as opposed to 130.

You can see the 4 PAPI lights next to the runway and yes, I tend to approach fairly high.

Juliana.JPG

Juliana1.JPG

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: