Sign in to follow this  
jimgem

Airline Parking Issue

Some time ago I posted a question regarding an idiosyncrasy that I am having with 7.41. When flying the iFly 737 I am directed to taxi to a "parking" spot rather than a gate.  This is very unrealistic for a scheduled airline.  This happens every time with the iFly aircraft but not with other airliners such as the Aerosoft CRJ 700/900.  The ATC Configuration is set to Airliner with co-pilot.  Departure is always from a gate.  Previously, I was told that at busy airports, I may be directed to parking if gates are not available.  This is not the case since I have the traffic density turned way down but with no effect.  For some reason, this problem seems to be  linked to a specific aircraft. 

My question is:  How does Vox ATC differentiate an airliner that should go to a gate from a GA aircraft or bizjet that would be directed to a parking spot?  Is there a modifiable configuration item in either VA or an aircraft config file that identifies the aircraft type?  Again, I have airline checked and run the Indexer frequently.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.  THX. 

It could be either the aircraft or the airport. Here's where to look:

If it's the aircraft, take a look at these entries in aircraft.cfg:

[fltsim.x] (x corresponding to the paint that you are using)
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_airline=ALASKA
[airplane_geometry]
wing_span = 113.1

Make sure that if you want the aircraft to park at a gate, that it is set only to GATE. The wingspan determines the size of the parking spot that will accomodate the aircraft. This value and the airline code is important for specific airports.

So then, the question is how to determine the gate sizes and airline codes for a specific airport? One can download the freeware flight planner Little NavMap and take a look at the specific airport's gates. But to change the gate size and airline, one needs to download the freeware Airport Design Editor and update the airport. One may also have to add more gates to accommodate AI traffic. That may be more work than you are willing to do. Most recent payware airports for P3d4 usually have the correct airline and size for each gate.

Edited by jabloomf1230

jabloomf1230:

Thank you for your response.  The problem was, in fact, a missing "atc_parking_types" entry in the aircraft.cfg file.  None of the iFly aircraft in either FSX or P3D have this entry.  Go figure.  I thought it had to be something relatively simple (or rather simple after you discover what the problem is).

Is there anywhere that lists all the possible entries that could be included in an aircraft.cfg file and the range of variables that the entry will accept?  It would be helpful to know what parameters can be configured for an aircraft and what data can be input into the sim.  I think I saw something like this years ago, but I forgot where I saw it.