Sign in to follow this  
eslader

good freeware v4 plane with a working tailhook?

I usually fly commercial/GA jets, but every once in awhile I feel like playing with something sporty. Got a carriers add-on last night that's pretty cool, but none of the default fighters is carrier capable. It's not something I want to spend money on because I do it so infrequently. There was a very good F14 for FSX, but it doesn't look like that dev has updated it for v4. What's a good option?

1 minute ago, eslader said:

Awesome. Thanks!

No worries, glad I could help.

Dino's stuff is top notch, I highly recommend them. FWIW, his freeware F-14 works fine in v4.4 as well.

Gonna try your hand at some carrier landings...?? 

11 minutes ago, Dave CBFS said:

The FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C Hornet is about the best you can get for free. 

Don't worry about the "FSX" in the title, there is a P3dv4 version. 

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.0.html

Ditto on freeware 2018 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET. It rivals the payware Superbug  F/A-18E Super Hornet. You can download it at http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=171t93t3djtk2304pt90944a22&topic=16514.0. 

Enjoy!

Roger

On the subject isn't there a freeware USS Nimitz carrier group addon? Or is that payware? What the download link if there is one available

5 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Gonna try your hand at some carrier landings...?? 

Yep! I was really good at it in Wings of Fury back in the 90's. 😉

Thanks everyone. This gives me lots to play with. Much appreciated.

Jii8gzB.gif

• Upvote 1

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

1 hour ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Jii8gzB.gif

LOLLLZZ. 

My oh my... How times have changed...😎

One thing I can tell you guys for sure, landing any of the planes I linked above, on an aircraft carrier in P3D v.4 is no easy task....

But I've been having a blast trying!

I can get it on the deck, but if I catch the #3 wire, it doesn't stop the plane before I fall off the edge. I've been aiming for the #1, which I know is poor form, but it lets me complete the landing. 😉

Oh, btw...

10 hours ago, eslader said:

But I've been having a blast trying!

I can get it on the deck, but if I catch the #3 wire, it doesn't stop the plane before I fall off the edge. I've been aiming for the #1, which I know is poor form, but it lets me complete the landing. 😉

It's definitely a challenge, and makes landing a tubeliner on a 200 foot wide by 10,000 foot long runway seem like child's play....😎

• Like 1

Well, that's not too bad for about 15 minutes of practice. My technique still sucks but that was only the first successful trap and then I stopped recording because recording was causing those black flashes.

Man that F18 has twitchy handling compared to a 747! 😉

I think the wiggle was because I neglected to put antiskid on. Oops. But you can probably tell that when I do catch the #3 wire, I go right off the edge. Maybe my approach speed is too high, though it tends to want to fall out of the sky if I approach lower than 145 or so.