eslader

good freeware v4 plane with a working tailhook?

Recommended Posts

I usually fly commercial/GA jets, but every once in awhile I feel like playing with something sporty. Got a carriers add-on last night that's pretty cool, but none of the default fighters is carrier capable. It's not something I want to spend money on because I do it so infrequently. There was a very good F14 for FSX, but it doesn't look like that dev has updated it for v4. What's a good option?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try the T-45 Goshawk or S-3 Viking by Dino Cattaneo,at http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

Scroll down the page a bit to the freeware downloads.

Both the Goshawk and the Viking work fine in v4.4 on my system. 

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, eslader said:

Awesome. Thanks!

No worries, glad I could help.

Dino's stuff is top notch, I highly recommend them. FWIW, his freeware F-14 works fine in v4.4 as well.

Gonna try your hand at some carrier landings...?? 

Share this post


Link to post

 

11 minutes ago, Dave CBFS said:

The FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C Hornet is about the best you can get for free. 

Don't worry about the "FSX" in the title, there is a P3dv4 version. 

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.0.html

Ditto on freeware 2018 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET. It rivals the payware Superbug  F/A-18E Super Hornet. You can download it at http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=171t93t3djtk2304pt90944a22&topic=16514.0. 

Enjoy!

Roger

 

Share this post


Link to post

On the subject isn't there a freeware USS Nimitz carrier group addon? Or is that payware? What the download link if there is one available

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Gonna try your hand at some carrier landings...?? 

Yep! I was really good at it in Wings of Fury back in the 90's. 😉

 

Thanks everyone. This gives me lots to play with. Much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Jii8gzB.gif

 

LOLLLZZ. 

My oh my... How times have changed...😎

One thing I can tell you guys for sure, landing any of the planes I linked above, on an aircraft carrier in P3D v.4 is no easy task....

Share this post


Link to post

But I've been having a blast trying!

 

I can get it on the deck, but if I catch the #3 wire, it doesn't stop the plane before I fall off the edge. I've been aiming for the #1, which I know is poor form, but it lets me complete the landing. 😉

 

Oh, btw...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, eslader said:

But I've been having a blast trying!

 

I can get it on the deck, but if I catch the #3 wire, it doesn't stop the plane before I fall off the edge. I've been aiming for the #1, which I know is poor form, but it lets me complete the landing. 😉

 

It's definitely a challenge, and makes landing a tubeliner on a 200 foot wide by 10,000 foot long runway seem like child's play....😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

Well, that's not too bad for about 15 minutes of practice. My technique still sucks but that was only the first successful trap and then I stopped recording because recording was causing those black flashes.

Man that F18 has twitchy handling compared to a 747! 😉

 

I think the wiggle was because I neglected to put antiskid on. Oops. But you can probably tell that when I do catch the #3 wire, I go right off the edge. Maybe my approach speed is too high, though it tends to want to fall out of the sky if I approach lower than 145 or so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@eslader What carrier add-on did you get? I'm wondering which commercial package people would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gabshall

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, didn't realise it was the same one referred to by SunDevil. Thanks for posting the link. Will give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, eslader said:

Well, that's not too bad for about 15 minutes of practice. My technique still sucks but that was only the first successful trap and then I stopped recording because recording was causing those black flashes.

Man that F18 has twitchy handling compared to a 747! 😉

I think the wiggle was because I neglected to put antiskid on. Oops. But you can probably tell that when I do catch the #3 wire, I go right off the edge. Maybe my approach speed is too high, though it tends to want to fall out of the sky if I approach lower than 145 or so.

Try the T-45 Goshawk or the S-3 Viking I linked earlier in the thread, they are a little less of a handful to trap with than the F-18.

For anyone who wants a more detailed carrier here's a payware package that's not too expensive...

https://www.fspilotshop.com/team-sdb-enterprise-for-fsx-and-p3d-p-5576.html

I have this installed in v4.4 and it works just fine.... Here's a couple of pics of the S-3 Viking about to trap onboard the Enterprise...

 

rirJ4t2.jpg

X3Hc4la.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Yep, grabbed both of those. Got the F14 too, but while its tailhook works, its nose bar does not. I'm guessing that's a "this shouldn't be in p3d" thing.

I notice you're approaching more properly than I am. Any time I come down at that angle I get a crash into the deck. I do fly with aircraft stress enabled, and all the realism sliders up full, so I figure the sim doesnt' realize what kind of a pounding carrier birds can take.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, eslader said:

Yep, grabbed both of those. Got the F14 too, but while its tailhook works, its nose bar does not. I'm guessing that's a "this shouldn't be in p3d" thing.

I notice you're approaching more properly than I am. Any time I come down at that angle I get a crash into the deck. I do fly with aircraft stress enabled, and all the realism sliders up full, so I figure the sim doesnt' realize what kind of a pounding carrier birds can take.

Charles, I've forgotten what the approach angle in degrees is for a typical carrier landing, but suffice to say it's much steeper than for civilian aircraft. You might want to just disable crash detection until you hone your skills a bit more. The freeware carrier does have a working FLOLS, so if you "fly the ball", you should (in theory) be ok, and not crash, even with crash detection on. In your video you got an "emergency" wave off as you approached the landing deck, and the "ball" was well below the datum lines, which means (in real life) you were danger close to hitting the stern of the ship...OUCH! No big deal, this is all good fun, and it's a real challenge to your piloting skills....😎 The F-14 you referenced, and the F-4 Phantom are both very tricky to land properly on the carrier...

In the pic below i've overshot the wires, but note the "meatball", i'm just a notch high for making a perfect 3 wire grab. Anyway, the pic gives you an idea of the level of detail the payware CVN-65 has. It also has a lot of advanced features the freebie carrier doesn't have. It has pre made scenarios you can load where your carrier is stationed at different locations throughout the world, choice of early 80's or late 80's deck configurations, and it also steams along (ie. moves ahead) and the free carriers are all static as best that I can recall....

eFWiNHc.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Download the Nimitz and Eisenhower and the F-18.

Hard to believe the F-18 is a Mod of the original FSX F-18?

What a super freeware addon. Two Super freeware addons.

Had a couple off goes of landing in the Nimitz.

First attempt looked solid until I hit the deck wheels up! Haha.

I've done that in real life!:ph34r:

Anyway, Everything is far more realistic in VR. Can't recommend the Samsung Odyssey + enough. It is wild!

You definitely need a tone of CPU juice though in XP11 and Prepar3D V4. Not so much GPU which I was't expecting.

I see in the screen shoots above the carrier group was underway.

Mine was stationary! I did see an option under addons to set a course or speed?

Edited by Avidean
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I see in the screen shoots above the carrier group was underway.

Mine was stationary! I did see an option under addons to set a course or speed?

Yep, the payware carrier steams ahead, if you fly low and slow over it you can actually see it moving thru through the water, pretty cool..

I have virtually every freeware carrier and/or "carrier group" that's out there, and to the best of my knowledge they are all static, ie. they sit in the same spot all the time. Any wake you might see behind the carrier is just for show and to add some "realism", at least for the freeware carriers I have....

Share this post


Link to post

After you spawn the carrier, hit shift-J again and you'll see a "forward" option, which makes the ship get underway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now