Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Portlandia

This week we're going to take advantage of the new KPDX Portland International Airport by Bill Womack/Flightbeam with a sightseeing flight around the Portland area.   We'll start at Goheen (W52) and fly down to Pearson (KVUO). When we take off from Pearson we'll fly up the Columbia River to the I-205 bridge (WP1) giving us an aerial view of  KPDX as we go past.  We then turn southwest to WP2, just south of downtown Portland. Turn north and enjoy the cityscape of downtown Portland on the way to WP3. What you do with the bridges is up to you (but we'll all be watching....). At WP3 turn east and land on KPDX 10R to see the south side of the airport close up. We depart from KPDX and take the scenic flight up the Columbia Gorge (low is best), past the Bonneville Dam up to Hood River (4S2).  Leave Hood River and head up the hill to WP4, the summit of Mt Hood, before turning west across the southern suburbs of Portland to Starks Twin Oaks (7S3).  Next a quick run out to Siletz Bay(S45) on the Oregon coast, then back inland to cut the grass at Vernonia (05S).  Departure from Vernonia direct to KPDX sends you straight down the centreline of 10L for a good look at the north side of the airport.  If you don't slow down too quickly, the GA centre will be in front of you as you turn off the runway.

Flight plan download here

Aircraft

The route is 308nm and should be a good distance for an aircraft capable of 160-170kts, nicely in the range for either a Bonanza or a DA62. As always, fly what you like though.

Scenery

Although based around the new KPDX, the flight will work perfectly well with the KPDX in Orbx PNW.  The Orbx airports Goheen, Pearson, Starks Twin Oaks, Siletz Bay and Vernonia are on the route but again, the Orbx PNW versions will work fine if you don't have these.  Remember to have the free Orbx Portland cityscape installed though!

Particulars

Date and time: Saturday, 12th January, 2019. 1900 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

For educational purposes only, this is one iconic scene Colin the Chicken from that famously quirky television series Portlandia. Nick should comment.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I think you may have had a brain fart Nick. You uploaded a 'Do it yourself' flight plan. :unsure: Unless that was the cunning plan.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Sorry Ron, I'm not with you.  I just downloaded the linked file and checked it in LNM, it's a PLN with the whole route.  What do you see? If you're looking at it in the P3D Flight Planner, you've remembered to load it twice?

Just downloaded the flight plan and viewed it in LittleNavMap. All good on my end...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

The download opened in Plan-G

EDIT: OK. What threw me was the download landed on my desktop with a Plan-G icon rather thas as a .txt file. Odd eh.

19 hours ago, MM said:

For educational purposes only, this is one iconic scene Colin the Chicken from that famously quirky television series Portlandia. Nick should comment.

It's just possible that I may have known some people in Portland who are a little bit like that..... :rolleyes:

For GTN users, here is Nick's Portlandia flightplan in *.gfp format.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

6 minutes ago, MM said:

For GTN users, here is Nick's Portlandia flightplan in *.gfp format.

I thought about converting it to GTN but after looking at the plan in Little Nav Map I decided that I might be better off with the automation off.  😉

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

NOTAM: An update to the iBlueYonder/Flightbeam KPDX was released a couple of hours ago.  It includes a new model of the I-205 bridge, which is our WP1.

1 hour ago, jt_williams said:

I thought about converting it to GTN but after looking at the plan in Little Nav Map I decided that I might be better off with the automation off.  😉

Yep, the first half of the route you'll definitely want to be hand-flying!

23 minutes ago, CavalierDuck said:

Yep, the first half of the route you'll definitely want to be hand-flying!

Tough night for Jeff then! :ohmy:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the elevation problems at KPDX?

I did run the troubleshooter in the Flightbeam Manager (all files show deactivated), did run the ORBX Vector tool, set the mesh to max and still the runway is in a deep ditch...?? 

I also deactivated Vector, but nothing seems to work...

Found it... The flightbeam manager does only do half the work, the rest you have to do yourself...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Gunter,

Run  the Flightbeam Manager program. Click the Troubleshooting tab. You will see some files under KPDX that you want to have Deactivated. Click the red "bars" and they will become green. Done. (These are Orbx Pacific Northwest files for the Orbx KPDX, including the elevation adjustment, scattered about in several places.) The Flightbeam manager does this quickly and easily.
Hope this helps.

M

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks Mike, exactly that did not work. I had to check Bill's forum and delete 4 more files from various places to get the elevation straight. Now it seems to be ok...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider