Sign in to follow this  
vidha

Lorby Live traffic question on models

Hi

I testet your program yesterdary, and I think it is very cool and fun to watch real life AI live. I didn't know this existed.

After testing a few hours, I have a question since a lot of models don't appear, but they do have model in the OpenSky Explorer:

They show up as default models, and lack ICAO code, but is it possible for your program to choose fallback model on the model field in the data feed?

Example from OpenSky Explorer:

HB-JXM (0x4b1a26)

ICAO ClassificationN/A N/A (N/A)

Category DescriptionN/A

ManufacturerAirbus

Model A320-214

Even if the field ICAO is empty, the first four letters og the model seem to be enough to choose the right model?

Hi,

the OpenSky Explorer and the OpenSky API for remote access are not the same thing. The REST API doesn't have the aircraft type in any state vector field, nor does it have departure or arrival airports.

https://opensky-network.org/apidoc/rest.html

Additional data requests are necessary to get that information, and since the aircraft type is not available anywhere in the OpenSky API, a call to ADS-B Exchange is made. If that flight is available in that second database, and whatever data quality is presented, is beyond my control.

If you can manage to persuade OpenSky to add at least the ICAO aircraft type from their database to the API state vectors, things would probably look different. But for now this is what it is.

I regularly go through the available datasources, but this has been the only solutiuon for two years now that you don't have to pay for. But when I was on OpenSky today to check on the state of the API I saw something else that I would like to try, provided that I find the time. Please don't hold your breath though,,.

Using RealTraffic as datasource is much better, and if you want to see ground/parked traffic too, there always is the PSXSeeCon solution.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thank you for your detailed answer and explaination. I understand then that It's only to hope that this ac type data also will be made available in the future then, and it's always the possibility for those who want to pay for the data.

I will keep testing your program, and explore how this adds value to the simulation. I tried a flight from KSFO-KPHX yesterday with your program running on my secondary PC, and it was really cool to see all those ac around you knowing they are actually there in real life at the same moment.

Anyways, I appreciate your efforts and thanks for sharing your FS-tools  to the community. Keep ut the good work.

Edited by vhaaland

One more question if you don't mind. 

Would it be possible to make the program read an additional custom user edited xml file where you could match those missing ICAO24 codes with ICAO AC type? When you choose to replace a model in the list, it could sort of remember that particular ICAO24 code for the future, accumulating your own list? 

Edited by vhaaland

40 minutes ago, vhaaland said:

One more question if you don't mind. 

Would it be possible to make the program read an additional custom user edited xml file where you could match those missing ICAO24 codes with ICAO AC type? When you choose to replace a model in the list, it could sort of remember that particular ICAO24 code for the future, accumulating your own list? 

Hi,

I have thought about that too today. There already is a similar feature in LLTX with the flights database, but I suspect that hardly anyone is using that. This database remembers flights, by their flight number. All I would have to do is add an additional key (so it works for both).

I will look into it right now.

Meanwhile I have uploaded a new version to the website that fixes a few bugs.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

That sounds great. Think that will be a really neat addition, which makes a great difference, at least with the most common airframes in that particular area where you fly most. It should not be to much work to make a quick list for the airlines who fly most in your area.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, vhaaland said:

match those missing ICAO24 codes with ICAO AC type

Hi,

it took me a while, but this has been implemented now in version 1.16. I have removed the flights database completely, instead, when you replace a model in the list with another one from your AI collection, the app will remember this choice using the ICAO 24bit transponder address. So when this aircraft pops up again, it should be of the correct type.

This took so long because I tried a few things WRT ground traffic. But due to the poor transponder coverage (they are often disabled when the aircraft taxi around) I had to give up on that (again). There may be a way to make aircraft taxi in to a (any) gate, but that involves a lot of code and time. More than I have currently. It also seems pointless, because I can't do the same for aircraft taxiing out (for obvious reasons - in most cases I only get the transponder signal when they are already in the air, especially when using OpenSky Network). But the app will teleport aircraft to a gate after they have landed, so it won't look so empty anymore.

I also tried to improve the Simulator AI coverage when using OpenSky Network.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks alot for implementing this feature. I'v now tested it, and i works very well. Actually I made a quick access database of two complete airlines with different ac and livereies, and I already got a quite complete icao24 database I've found on the net. Then I exported in xml format, and make som dirty editing to match your format. 

Actually I had to add one more field to the xml database, <reg></reg>, just in order to make things organized, as the icao24 in itself does not give enough info. Your program seemed able to read the xml anyways. I thought of the possibility for additional model-matching based on reg-code in itself additionaly in those cases your data does not contain the icao24. Of course this is a laborous approach if you would increase coverage, but it works and gives exact matches.

Hi,

if you could specify what exactly is required for matching, I can check if that information is included in the online datasets as well.

I am currently working on a  new interesting feature in Simulator AI mode of LLTX. If you are interested in checking this out, please send me an email. Address is on the last page of the manual. Then we can also discuss other matching techniques.

Best regards

LORBY-SI