This would be a sweet simming monitor! I would be worried about burn though.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

29 minutes ago, strider1 said:

I would be worried about burn though.

That's a valid worry if you aren't moving your view point at all or leaving it stationary for hours.  Also, OLED displays are very sensitive to direct sunlight.  Most OLED TV's have a "calibration" and/or "panel refresh" process that you can run manually to remove any "burn-in" that may have happened ... BUT, it reduces the life expectancy of the panel and is usually only recommend to be performed once a year.

So if you have long flight with not much happening, it would be best to turn the TV off and when you come back to the flight turn TV on again.  For most other games it's a non-issue since there is always some motion.

OLED image quality in a flight simulator has to be seen to be appreciated ... even more so if you like night flying.  They really are that good with color and black and no light bleed.  They also don't suffer from pixel refresh rates and can operate on upwards of the equivalent of 500hz refresh (not that any source can go that high and we have no connection specs or cabling that can operate 4K at 500Hz).

And don't forget LG's OLED 8K 88" "coming soon".

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Most OLED TV's have a "calibration" and/or "panel refresh" process that you can run manually to remove any "burn-in" that may have happened ... BUT, it reduces the life expectancy of the panel and is usually only recommend to be performed once a year.

Cheers, Rob.

That isn’t how my Loewe Bild 7 OLED TV works. I use it as a tv, not a computer monitor but the principle remains.

After it’s been on for more than 5 hours when it’s turned off (into standby) the LED turns blue and a screen clean takes place. It takes anything from 5 to 30 mins.

That is done by design to keep the screen in optimum condition. I dread to think what it would look like if that process was only carried out once a year.

Each TV manufacturer may have their own process but given all OLED panels are made by LG they are all basically the same and screen cleaning should be performed after each session if greater than a few hours.

I’ve had mine over two years and no sign of screen burn.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

42 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I dread to think what it would look like if that process was only carried out once a year.

My Sony OLED provides a big warning regarding how often the process should be run and that was once a year.  Since O in OLED is for organic they have a life expectancy.  The more often you run the process you reduce it's life span which is what I would expect for anything organic based.  Per Sony article ... the Red Warning.

LG make the panels but the electronics/computer driving the panel is Sony's design X1 Extreme processor and LG use the A9 processor ... not suggesting one or better or lesser than the other, just passing along Sony's warning.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I did get some "burn-in" but it was actually due to sunlight shining in thru one of our windows and directly on the TV ... we could clearly see the shadowed image and matched it up to our window ... ran the display refresh process (about 1 hour) and all back to normal ... now we "cover" the TV during the day when not in use.

Edited by Guest

It’s not my intention to shoot the messenger Rob. 😉 It’s odd that Sony’s advice should be so different to that of Loewe. If you haven’t heard of them they’re German and their TVs are expensive.

Given German’s reputation for engineering I can only assume their cleaning process is rather different than Sony’s.

So when you put yours into standby after several hours of flying does it not automatically start any form of cleaning process? Is it up to you to do it manually? So how do you know when to do it? Do you have to keep a record or does the TV advise when?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Probably why I've stayed with the last of Panasonic's 60" plasma TV's....I feel only now superceded by OLED tech but still working perfectly...and my wife leaves  it on for our dog so she won't feel home alone 🙂

"burn in by the sun" yikes!!!! Rob, do you use your OLED as a monitor? I was very tempted by DELL 8k monitor last year, but I thought we would be seeing a bunch of 8k monitors with HDR by now 😞

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

2019 we'll start to see more 8K, 2020 they'll be more mainstream, 2021 they'll be much more affordable ... based on how 4K adoption proceeded I'd imagine 8K will follow along the same lines ... connection and cable specs are now ratified.

I used my OLED for a little while on my SimPit mostly just to test it out, I'm back to my LED Samsung now for regular flight duties and the OLED is back in the TV room or is it living room or is it family room ... aaag, it's in room (sorry not good with room names since we seem to never use rooms in the traditional way) where my wife watches her TV shows.

I do want another OLED, but burn in is always a worry for me, mostly when I'm programming GoFlight modules for a specific aircraft I might be "static" for a few hours.

Cheers, Rob.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That isn’t how my Loewe Bild 7 OLED TV works. I use it as a tv, not a computer monitor but the principle remains.

After it’s been on for more than 5 hours when it’s turned off (into standby) the LED turns blue and a screen clean takes place. It takes anything from 5 to 30 mins.

That is done by design to keep the screen in optimum condition. I dread to think what it would look like if that process was only carried out once a year.

Each TV manufacturer may have their own process but given all OLED panels are made by LG they are all basically the same and screen cleaning should be performed after each session if greater than a few hours.

I’ve had mine over two years and no sign of screen burn.

Strikes me (but I can be a cynical sort at times) that for a manufacturer to design a set that automatically and often runs a process which is shortening the screen life is more than a little self serving. 😉

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Nope, technology limitation based on the nature of organic materials ... sorry no conspiracy here.

just like cigarettes are good at reducing the life span of certain or organic life forms ... slowly and painfully 🙂

Not a conspiracy, but are they running it more often than necessary ?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I don’t know about LG, but Sony don’t run it often.  I’ve done it manually once ... I heard a rumor Sony run it every 1000 hrs, but I can’t find any documentation to support that.

Cheers, Rob

5 hours ago, odourboy said:

Strikes me (but I can be a cynical sort at times) that for a manufacturer to design a set that automatically and often runs a process which is shortening the screen life is more than a little self serving. 😉

I watch TV most evenings so the process has been run more than 700 times without any visible change in PQ. If things were as bad as you allude to OLED TVs would have never made it into commercial production.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, strider1 said:

This would be a sweet simming monitor! I would be worried about burn though.

Unless you’re going to use it in a very dark room OLED is an expensive waste. Do you really need to see true black? A quality LCD TV is fine for flight simming. Save your money.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do you really need to see true black?

It's not just "True Black" is the lack of light bleed especially with bright colors and whites from bright lights will actually make me squint.  If one runs a product like AI Lights Reborn along with a nice dark shader product say ENVSHADE or PTA etc. one's night flights will look very realistic especially around a busy airport with lots of AI.  I definitely would NOT consider it a waste of money.  I'd be surprised if all panels aren't OLED within the next 2-3 years.

Cheers, Rob.