Rob,

It's all a matter of taste and budget. Oh, and size. You chaps over there must have huge rooms if you can fit a 55" OLED into your flight sim setup. I appreciate the benefits OLED brings and if it's affordable then sure, it's an alternative with the potential for screen burn taken into account.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Unless you’re going to use it in a very dark room OLED is an expensive waste. Do you really need to see true black? A quality LCD TV is fine for flight simming. Save your money.

Sounds like this monitor is not going to be released anytime soon anyways. At that size, it would definitely need to be a living room pc setup, and I don't think I would use as my everyday pc monitor. Content consumption and light gaming is probably ideal.  

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

7 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Sounds like this monitor is not going to be released anytime soon anyways. At that size, it would definitely need to be a living room pc setup, and I don't think I would use as my everyday pc monitor. Content consumption and light gaming is probably ideal.  

It’s not a monitor, it’s a TV. It’s an entirely personal thing but I couldn’t conceive using P3D on such a huge display. My 32” from 2ft is great... for me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

2 hours ago, strider1 said:

Very informative! After watching, I've concluded that an OLED is not for me. My viewing patterns would ruin the screen for sure.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Have an (older) 55" LG OLED tv could use for FS2020. Any reason for or against it?  Would otherwise be buying a new monitor as trying to upgrade from 1080p to 4k HDR for this thing...

Thanks!

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

@Flyfaster, unless it supports chroma 4:4:4 text will not be sharp. Check the manual. Bear in mind you still need to perform Windows operations and 55” is enormous.

You'll need a powerful CPU and GPU as 4K is 4 times the resolution of FullHD. 1080Ti absolute minimum.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Flyfaster, unless it supports chroma 4:4:4 text will not be sharp. Check the manual. Bear in mind you still need to perform Windows operations and 55” is enormous.

You'll need a powerful CPU and GPU as 4K is 4 times the resolution of FullHD. 1080Ti absolute minimum.

Thanks will be buying new top of line PC (alienware or similar) for this with an Ampere card and plan was to use another monitor for day-to-day work etc likely existing 27".

57 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Thanks will be buying new top of line PC (alienware or similar) for this with an Ampere card and plan was to use another monitor for day-to-day work etc likely existing 27".

Very sensible. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/26/2020 at 7:53 PM, Flyfaster said:

Have an (older) 55" LG OLED tv could use for FS2020. Any reason for or against it?  Would otherwise be buying a new monitor as trying to upgrade from 1080p to 4k HDR for this thing...

Thanks!

I've lugged my PC and peripherals across the house last weekend to plug it on my LG C7 55" OLED instead of my 1080p Dell 27" monitor. It blew my mind. It's been hard going back to 27" after that... I do however agree with Ray that and OLED for flightsimming is probably a bit of a waste of money. I'm considering instead going for a value priced (LCL, Hisense, etc.) 43" or 50" TV. My only concern is about PQ at wider viewing angles, which won't be at the level of an OLED: you naturally sit close to the screen when flightsimming, which I guess means that PQ on the sides of the screen will be degraded.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

I've lugged my PC and peripherals across the house last weekend to plug it on my LG C7 55" OLED instead of my 1080p Dell 27" monitor. It blew my mind. It's been hard going back to 27" after that... I do however agree with Ray that and OLED for flightsimming is probably a bit of a waste of money. I'm considering instead going for a value priced (LCL, Hisense, etc.) 43" or 50" TV. My only concern is about PQ at wider viewing angles, which won't be at the level of an OLED: you naturally sit close to the screen when flightsimming, which I guess means that PQ on the sides of the screen will be degraded.

Have identical setup(s). No idea what the TV is worth used, but rather than deal with the hassle of selling and buying something else, just re-purpose it 🙂

13 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

I do however agree with Ray that and OLED for flightsimming is probably a bit of a waste of money. I'm considering instead going for a value priced (LCL, Hisense, etc.) 43" or 50" TV. My only concern is about PQ at wider viewing angles, which won't be at the level of an OLED: you naturally sit close to the screen when flightsimming, which I guess means that PQ on the sides of the screen will be degraded.

The deep blacks of OLED make it perfect for TV viewing. For simming it is a bit of an extravagance. LCD TV will be fine but be aware of going for the budget market. A decent TV with chroma 4:4:4 will be very suitable.

Samsung make some excellent TVs so I would tend to start there rather than the budget end. Remember a display is a long term investment so if a decent display costs you another 150-200 USD over 5 years the difference is minimal.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Have identical setup(s). No idea what the TV is worth used, but rather than deal with the hassle of selling and buying something else, just re-purpose it 🙂

Nah, it would be an addition, I still need my OLED for movies 😉

35 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Nah, it would be an addition, I still need my OLED for movies 😉

You are missing the point it is an opportunity to buy a *new LARGER* TV..... duh 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Samsung make some excellent TVs so I would tend to start there rather than the budget end. Remember a display is a long term investment so if a decent display costs you another 150-200 USD over 5 years the difference is minimal.

I have been thinking to buy an OLED but this burn-in issue holds me back. I looked for Samsung TVs but looks like non of them support G-sync and VRR. Also refresh rate is 60Hz if you go with TV smaller than 65".  I wonder how critical it is not having those options for flight simming but paying more than $1000 for such TVs.    

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”