Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

How to uninstall KMIA (LVFR)?

Does anyone know how to uninstall it? While the installer allowed me to install it in the desired drive/directory, it kind of ruined the neatness of my add-on folder by randomly placing files without properly structuring them by itself. Another sloppy dev work *rolls eyes.* The uninstaller is MIA, literally. lol

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I used the uninstaller for KMIA and it deleted my whole addon folder, took me weeks to get it back to normal, and had to buy a program to undelete my files, what a mess, so be careful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

Does anyone know how to uninstall it? While the installer allowed me to install it in the desired drive/directory, it kind of ruined the neatness of my add-on folder by randomly placing files without properly structuring them by itself. Another sloppy dev work *rolls eyes.* The uninstaller is MIA, literally. lol

flytrumpet 67 beat me to it, but yeah.....

To the best of my knowledge the Latin VFR scenery's don't have "uninstallers" in the Windows control panel or the installed scenery folders.

AFAIK, they have to be uninstalled manually. For KMIA you would go to Documents/Prepar3D v4 add-ons/ then delete the "LatinVFR P3Dv4" folder.

Then go to {your drive}/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/LatinVFR/ and delete the "Miami_KMIAv4" folder.

I agree, the lack of a proper automated uninstaller sucks, but you can find more info at their support forums if you care to.....

FWIW, I have LatinVFR KMIA, KRSW, and KRDU, and they all installed correctly and work fine, but I had major issues with KBWI, the only one I have that uses SODE jetways. 

The jetways wouldn't show in the scenery, just a bunch of huge red X's where they should be, and the "fix file" the dev gave me was causing CTD's, so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and deleted it as outlined above, but the catch was, because it used SODE jetways you had to delete the LatinVFR entries from the SODE program folders as well, otherwise the big red X's would also show up in the default KBWI... lol 

The good news is Ricardo (the dev) does respond to support questions very promptly, but there is definitely room for improvement in some areas, like a reliable automated uninstaller IMHO.

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

like a reliable automated uninstaller IMHO.

or reliable installer that installs subdirectories properly 🙂

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

10 hours ago, Drumcode said:

or reliable installer that installs subdirectories properly 🙂

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. 

Jacek, could you please explain what you mean by...

"it kind of ruined the neatness of my add-on folder by randomly placing files without properly structuring them by itself."

In my Documents/P3D v4 Add-ons folder there is a single LatinVFR Miami P3Dv4 folder with just 2 files in it, and add on XML document, and an information cfg file, and that's it, nothing else, so I would be curious to know what the randomly placed files are...??

All of the Scenery, Texture, Doc, and Scripts etc. folders were automatically installed in the P3D root directory under LatinVFR/Miami_KMIAv4

It kind of sounds to me like you might have changed the default path the installer selects, which is {your drive}/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v4 if I remember correctly. If you did it differently than that, it might account for the "random placing of files" you are describing.

Most of the installers are smart enough to create their own subdirectories as long as you point them to the root folder in the directory. For example Flightbeam's installer will create Flightbeam folder subdirectory if you point it to D/: Add-on scenery directory, LVFR's didn't do that and placed all the installation files directly in the Add-on directory. That's all.  

Jacek G.

29 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Most of the installers are smart enough to create their own subdirectories as long as you point them to the root folder in the directory. For example Flightbeam's installer will create Flightbeam folder subdirectory if you point it to D/: Add-on scenery directory, LVFR's didn't do that and placed all the installation files directly in the Add-on directory. That's all.  

Understood.

Edited by SunDevil56

Btw, your suggestions worked and I reinstalled it all. I initially didn't want to delete anything manually so thanks for the help.

Jacek G.

7 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Further to this, since it's a mixed bag in terms of whether Devs create a clean folder named for their software or not I will usually run the installer to a phony folder first. After seeing the folder structures created I'll take a screen grab of the files added (ie .fx files added) in the event I ever want to hunt down all the various files that may not be grabbed by an uninstall utility. 

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

7 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Btw, your suggestions worked and I reinstalled it all. I initially didn't want to delete anything manually so thanks for the help.

No worries, and i'm glad it all worked out Jacek...😎

17 minutes ago, sddjd said:

Further to this, since it's a mixed bag in terms of whether Devs create a clean folder named for their software or not I will usually run the installer to a phony folder first. After seeing the folder structures created I'll take a screen grab of the files added (ie .fx files added) in the event I ever want to hunt down all the various files that may not be grabbed by an uninstall utility. 

I have done this as well. 

And taking it a step further...you can then use Lorby's Addon Organizer to KEEP those files out of your P3D folder structure.  The .fx files, for example can be set up in D:\SCENERY\KMIA\Effects, rather than hodgepodged into D:\P3D\Effects.  This way, all of your D:\P3D\Effects files are stock.  Also makes install-uninstall and upgrades to P3D a snap.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB