Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Certificate Exception

Same here.  Told me connection was not secure and I needed to change my date and time.  Now seems to be working OK.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

The certificate has been taken care of!  Not to worry!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

11 hours ago, odourboy said:

Calling web administrator: time to pay that invoice!

I hope nobody is paying for regular SSL certs anymore.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

If you are still seeing this warning,  log out clear your browser cache and log back in.  The cert has been renewed and all is clear. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Some Internet users need security.  They do not know where to go without it.  If you develop a browser, you better make it safe for me or I won't use a browser and never go on the Internet.  Understand?  LOL!  I am personally against Green Locks.  We (AVSIM) didn't have to get it but then the browsers would then be saying the site is unsafe and our members would believe them and go away (even though the warning would be a pure unadulterated lie to our membership and giving them fake news the site is unsafe.  This proves beyond all doubts that lying is profitable).  So AVSIM decided to get it and pay the big bucks to GoDaddy for the green lock as we were going to eventually be held hostage if we didn't pay up (same as Ransomware... probably where they got the idea).  Google went to GoDaddy and told them to get SSL certificates for all websites so their Google Chrome browser would work better and make owners believe they had something safe if they used it.  I think Google gets a portion of the billions collected by GoDaddy every year as Google came up with the idea.  AVSIM pays about $170 a year for the privilege of having the green lock.  Now GoDaddy can race at NASCAR with more cars and get the best drivers.

According to the Internet search engines, 49% of all phishing websites (the ones that are unsafe) now have the green lock showing they are safe. So the browser, like Chrome, are lying again to the owners.  I'm so happy this is working out for everyone! What is the next brain-dead idea for stealing money from sites like AVSIM's?  Should we start charging a yearly membership fee to pay for the Green Locks?  (I hope everyone could tell I do not like SSL certificates - it's like ID cards and social security cards - you have them for security and to get certain things in life and someone will figure out how to duplicate them and have them too even if they are not allowed to have them).

Be careful when surfing!  It's a cruel world out there!

Edited by Jim Young
Removed a demeaning term that upset a few who responded..

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

49 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

So AVSIM decided to get it and pay the big bucks to GoDaddy for the green lock as we were going to eventually be held hostage if we didn't pay up (same as Ransomware... probably where they got the idea).  Google went to GoDaddy and told them to get SSL certificates for all websites so their Google Chrome browser would work better and make owners believe they had something safe if they used it.  I think Google gets a portion of the billions collected by GoDaddy every year as Google came up with the idea.  AVSIM pays about $170 a year for the privilege of having the green lock.  Now GoDaddy can race at NASCAR with more cars and get the best drivers.

Why did you pay money for an SSL cert? I have certs for all of my sites via LetsEncrypt and they are all free. I run a basic shell script every 90 days that creates DNS entries for validation, renews the certs and updates my server certificates.

https://letsencrypt.org/

And SSL is absolutely needed, simply because without it you have no guarantee that you are actually connecting to the "real" AVSIM, or that the content hasn't been modified in the middle. While it's not strictly speaking required for AVSIM (you're not a bank or a brokerage) it's good practice in general.

Finally, if you don't support SSL HTTP/2 will not work.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Well, Luke, when I was writing my thesis above, my thoughts were only on you and I knew you would come up with something to make AVSIM look bad in how it does business.  At the time the Green Locks were mentioned for the first time ever by Google, we made a business decision to go along with Google and get the Green Lock.  We knew that people with other browsers would probably not get a security warning - just Chrome users, we knew that Chrome users would be getting the security warning and that would have been one member too many getting a warning.  At the time there were no other browsers mentioned that were requiring a Green Lock, just Chrome.  Now, over two years later, we now have it required by all browsers.  We may or may not look into letsencrypt.org.  We have already paid for another year so might as well continue with what we have already.  I would guess you did not get letsencrypt.org two years ago but even if you did, we were advised by experts to go with what we have right now.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

11 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Well, Luke, when I was writing my thesis above, my thoughts were only on you and I knew you would come up with something to make AVSIM look bad in how it does business.

With respect, I don't do that. Comparing HTTPS to ransomware and claiming that only "snowflakes" need security might.

Jim, security and transparency are good things. There's a reason that every major protocol bakes in encryption and we don't run on telnet or FTP anymore. It's why Google made the push and all of the browsers have followed. It is the right thing to do. SSL certificates shouldn't cost money, and thankfully, they don't, unless you need an extended validity certificate (which I don't see value in unless one is a financial institution or other group that requires more visible proof of site ownership).

I apologize for the tone in the previous note - you seem grumpy having paid a great deal for something you perceive to be of limited value. I don't disagree with that sentiment, but when your GoDaddy cert expires you should switch to a free provider, whether it is LetsEncrypt, AWS (if you run there) or something similar. SSL certs aren't a racket - if anything, companies who charge money for regular certs are going to be out of business in the next 24-36 months.

17 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I would guess you did not get letsencrypt.org two years ago but even if you did, we were advised by experts to go with what we have right now.

Fortunately, my certificate logs are transparent: https://transparencyreport.google.com/https/certificates?hl=en&cert_search_auth=&cert_search_cert=p:ZGVsdGF2YS5vcmc6dHJ1ZTp0cnVlOjpDQ2dRQVE9PQ&cert_search=include_expired:true;include_subdomains:true;domain:deltava.org&lu=cert_search_cert

Free certs have been around since 2014 or before.

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

My comments above are my own and do not represent AVSIM in any manner.  I just happened to be the Forum Admin here at AVSIM and handle many of the chores once done by the late owner.  I do not own the site.  We have a CEO and a Board of Directors that manages the site and a tech who handles all of the equipment and the site which was done by the late owner. He is also the expert on the SSL and he was the one who got it renewed.  Not me.  I'm not an expert on SSL this or that but I think you all failed to see that the thieves and hackers and people who are stealing your money have SSL certificates too and the Green Lock. That's all I wanted to impart.  My observations of the process and my dislike for the process and I stand proudly by every word. 

This topic has been discussed enough and has started to go south as I used "snowflake" in a demeaning way.  I have since removed that comment and removed the posts that were going South.  My apologies to those who were demeaned by my snowflake comment.

Submit News to AVSIM