Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Name the movie...

Did a quick repaint of the GAS Boeing Stearman depicting one of the aircraft which features in what is perhaps my favourite flying sequence from a movie. The real thing was piloted for the filming of that sequence, by legendary movie stunt flyer, Frank Tallman.

Well done if you recognised the aeroplane and were able to identify the movie. For some extra kudos points, name the year the movie came out and name as many actors who appear in the movie as you can. For some extra-extra aviation kudos points, how many other aircraft types, which also feature in that same movie, can you name?

y7OXe90.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It's a Mad, Mad Mad Mad World.....no real idea.

Edited by YMMB

10 minutes ago, YMMB said:

It's a Mad, Mad Mad Mad World.....no real idea.

Good try, and in fact one of the aircraft types which features heavily in that movie also (very briefly) appears in this one too, but guess again 🙂

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Capricorn One! Great movie. Actors... Brolin... Reynolds? And I don't remember the name of the journalist. I only remember the belly landing of a (probably early model) Learjet.

Nice idea for the screenshot forum... Movie quizzes starring aircrafts. ☺️

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

39 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Capricorn One! Great movie. Actors... Brolin... Reynolds? And I don't remember the name of the journalist. I only remember the belly landing of a (probably early model) Learjet.

Nice idea for the screenshot forum... Movie quizzes starring aircrafts. ☺️

Yup, correct. Plus two bonus cool points for getting James Brolin as mission commander Charles Brubaker and the LearJet 24 making the belly landing.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

oh man that goes back.

Without looking at the copy on the shelf, I want to say a very young Sam Waterson, OJ Simpson?. Elliot Gould was the reporter. Hal Halbrook?

Who played Brolin's wife, the one with the husk voice?

Yup, all correct. Brolin's wife was played by 60/70s icon, Brenda Vaccaro.

Actually, when you look at the full cast list, it is pretty stellar. Lots of 70's mega-stars, and all of that for a budget of 5 million Dollars. You'd be hard pressed to make any sort of movie for that kind of money today, let alone one which turned out to be the most commercially successful independent movie of that year.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Don't forget Telly Savalas (pilot).  The lollypop man if you know what I mean!    Elliott Gould was the reporter.

The aircraft didn't have a front seat since it was a cropduster in this scene.

Edited by TuFun

Great pointer, Alan, sounds better than a James Bond. Must see this one!

Fun.

What was the aircraft that Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney ended up flying after Jim Backus got knocked out? Man, I love that movie. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

The Lear 24 was N464CL, from Clay Lacy Aviation in Van Nuys, where I used to work early in my aviation career.  It could be forgiven of people if they noticed that the interior scenes in the Lear were very accurate, as though they had really been filmed onboard. In reality, Clay paid to have an exact replica of that aircraft cabin made, with a removable side panel to allow filming. It was a perfect replica, down to each switch in the cockpit. Even the murals that had ben painted on the interior panels of the real aircraft were reproduced. I remember climbing around that mockup specifically looking for 'errors' that I could then look for in subsequent movies that it was used with, and I had a very hard time finding any. 

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

After watching the movie for the first time in years on Youtube I loved they camera angle they used to make the Lear look like it was landing wheels up. Obviously in reality it was wells down but it looked the part.

And then when it cut to the seen where the three astronauts where getting out the Lear was on its belly on the dirt but there wasn't a scratch on it! I figure they must have buried  to just the right dept,stands that would be used for the aircraft that allowed the gear to be retracted on the ground.

I swear my mind was on the aircraft until I remembered Brenda Vaccaro. Mmmm that voice...

Edited by Holdit