Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Affinity Mask -> NEVER leave out Core 0!

22 hours ago, AnkH said:

I got perfectly fluid and smooth P3D as soon as I moved most of my addons off core0

How do you do this?

Jimmy Nestor

2 hours ago, Afterburner said:

My suggestion from my experience is plain and simple: Don't tweak the AF setting at all, and you will be fine!  Those who tweak the AF setting may be surprised about blurry textures or late autogen loading.

That's a good point to show how different our PC systems can be among us:

If I don't set a correct Affinity Mask (my preferred tool is PROCESS LASSO !!!!), if I don't tweak --> I get more microstutters, less smoothness, more time outs and higher core temperatures immediately.

After years of experience and tries and errors among various sims, I found something like a "sweet spot" - even on my aged but still performant system. 

Yea, it can be cumbersome ! 

The best would be to upgrade to a Monster Computer with loooooooots of performance :

77398777-illustration-of-a-monster-compu

Edited by KBUR

I thought p3dv4.4 already leveraged multiple cores...?

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Mischung said:

That's some kind of Voodoo to me and I can not understand that this is working good 😆

I once used Process Lasso to assign cores to P3D and it ended in stutters without end, because the primary rendering task had no 100% load anymore (with frame rate limited). Workload seemed to spread across all cores better, but it was not fluid anymore.

Setting the exact same AM in my P3D.cfg that I used with Process Lasso before resulted in a very fluid sim with core 0 at 100% load all the time (that's the way it is with a TFR) 

I used Process Lasso too but also had bad results with it. Check out the link below, that is where I found the method which I still use... 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129222

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

seeing it repeatedly is irritating. :wink:

Ray,  Are u an introvert?

Matt Wilson

30 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Ray,  Are u an introvert?

No, I'm a lover of the English language. Still using it I see. 🙄

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No, I'm a lover of the English language. Still using it I see. 🙄

Scientific studies have shown that "grammar bullies" have less agreeable personalities and have a constant need to feel superior to others.  If my writing offends your ego I suggest not reading my posts.

Matt Wilson

18 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Scientific studies have shown that "grammar bullies" have less agreeable personalities and have a constant need to feel superior to others.  If my writing offends your ego I suggest not reading my posts.

Matt, stop being a plonker and use you instead of u.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

I thought p3dv4.4 already leveraged multiple cores...?

Yes, by default P3D v4 uses all cores, and for CPU's with hyper threading, all threads, but it doesn't necessarily mean using all available cores/threads will give you the smoothest most stutter free performance, and if this discussion is any indication, it varies widely from one person and system to the next.

For me personally, I get the best overall performance with HT "on" and an affinity mask in the P3D cfg.

I didn't arrive at this conclusion casually either, it came after many months of careful and persistent experimentation. YMMV....😎

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ray,  With your superior knowledge of the English language it surprises me your resorting to petty insults. 

Matt Wilson

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

....ah, thanks for a new vocable!   That's what my dict.cc shows about " Plonker " 😉 :

cutting-branches-450w-185696357.jpg

• Like 2

Konrad, for one who claims "English and me don't love each other", you do quite well! 🍻

Greg

• Upvote 1