Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Do you use a Download Accelerator?

Many downloads in Flight Sim are quite large....and I was wondering if you use a specific Download Accelerator for Flight Sim.  I was using IDM or Internet Download Manager, but I started having some issues with its performance so I'm now looking for one that is "automatic", in that when I click to download anything, it defaults to the accelerator. 

Just curious if you have a recommendation for a good, simple, fast, and intelligent accelerator.

Stan

On my previous computer (just replaced it last week) I was using "Free Download Manager" and activated the "browser integration" option for Chrome. All my downloads were managed within the browser without having to open a different window for that application. Worked very well. I don't know though if it is an "accelerator", but it can resume an interrupted download. There might be other solution out there, I haven't searched any further since it did the job for me.

I appreciated it the most during the years where I had to download my ORBX sceneries from the Flightsim Store.

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

I used them in former times .. But at least since two years I haven't. I never experienced any problem (neither speed nor quality) with FF.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) and find it very useful for speeding up most downloads because it opens several download streams.  Its only downside is that it intercepts and downloads pdfs also.  I'm too lazy to figure out a workaround for this slight annoyance because the rest of the package is worth it to me.  One upside of the downloaded pdfs is that you can then reproduce them when necessary.

Jim Driskell 

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I use JDownloader 2, it's free (donationware but doesn't nag), real flexible and can do stuff like match hashes to make sure the file is right.  Works nice for saving YouTube videos like tutorials, too.

• Like 1

I've never really felt the need to. With a download speed of over 300 mbps I can download really large files in a relatively short time.

Must be nice to have such a big pipe.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

11 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Must be nice to have such a big pipe.

I've been told that before.....😁

But seriously, on a good day I have hit 350 mbps. My ISP is Comcast, AKA XFinity,  East Coast USA, near Washington DC, but thankfully far enough away......😎

36 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I've been told that before.....😁

But seriously, on a good day I have hit 350 mbps. My ISP is Comcast, AKA XFinity,  East Coast USA, near Washington DC, but thankfully far enough away......😎

Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm on Gigabyte Fiber at 950 mbps lol

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

19 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm on Gigabyte Fiber at 950 mbps lol

I am humbled...😯

• Upvote 1

I am humbled too.  950 gigs!  INCREDIBLE.

Stan

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) and find it very useful for speeding up most downloads because it opens several download streams.  Its only downside is that it intercepts and downloads pdfs also.  I'm too lazy to figure out a workaround for this slight annoyance because the rest of the package is worth it to me.  One upside of the downloaded pdfs is that you can then reproduce them when necessary.

Jim Driskell 

That was my problem too.  Intercepted pdfs!  Why that happens, I have no idea.  For a few months, it didn't do that....now all of a sudden, it's back to those unnecessary downloads.

Stan

Buffy,

I D/Led "JDownloader 2" at your suggestion (64-bit).  Almost completed the installation, but when it requested I provide a Domain Name I was at a loss (fee is required to purchase a Name).  What gives with that since it's for personal use, not a business app?.  So I I abandoned this app for now.

I'm actually satisfied with my current download speeds anyway, but I try to take new approaches every now and then...   

domain name? for what? i never had to put one.

Unless its asking you if you want to set up accounts like to sign into youtube, etc  That's optional though.