Sign in to follow this  
fsusem36

Airport advice

So after patiently waiting for Flightbeam to come out with PDX, only to find that it's in P3v4 only kinda sucks, because I still am using FSX and yes I know it's 13+ years old and everyone is jumping on the Prepar band wagon but I'm still waiting.  Mostly because of not wanting to fork out $1500 to 3,000 for a new system, and because I have a ton of add-on's that finally make FSX enjoyable, and because I can still run Win 7 (I hate Win 10).  Tried some other 3rd party versions of PDX but was not impressed.  Does any know of a 32 bit PDX version that doesn't suck?

Thanks

CPU 3.5/ 1080TI  FSX+ACCEL  Megascenry earth/ any many more add-on's

You're probably referring to the FSXcenery (sp?) version of KPDX...

Flightzone02 made a really nice version for FS9 with a "port-over" available in the Avsim library for FSX (you need to follow the instructions exactly!)...at the time, that scenery was really well done. I used it both in FS9 and FSX.

I noticed that Flight1 still sells that scenery...pretty pricey though in my opinion compared to the current P3D KPDX by FB.

Blue sky scenery makes good scenery … http://www.blueskyscenery.com/JAC_North3West16.html

This package covers area around Portland including Portland International Airport (KPDX) and a whopping 39 other airports! It covers a total of 3625 sq km. For FSX and Prepar3D. The resolution of 1 m/pix brings you razor-sharp images even near the ground. Best enjoyed in low and slow operations! Also contains a 10 m high resolution elevation mesh.

I just installed Flightzone02 KPDX in FS2004 yesterday.  Quite well done.

I needed some static military aircraft for an FS2004 project I am working on and there aren't many available in the static objects llibraries.  But I discovered SAAM2.  A wonderful tool that converts flyable aircraft into static aircraft in minutes..  I think it works in FSX and P3D also.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

This topic should be moved to the FSX forums.

It is okay to enjoy FSX and I wish you many good flights with your sim.

However more and more developers will continue to bring new Add-on's and they will not be compatible with FSX, it is a fact that needs to be accepted.

The reason is simple, everyone wants more eye candy and realistic products, these cannot be developed using old unsupported technology as the FSX SDK, just as an example, if you find a bug with the FSX SDK  there is nobody from Microsoft to help you as it is a product that reached its end of live, so the bug stays there unresolved forever.

KPDX for P3D 4.4 is a perfect example of how P3D SDK material scripting can be used to create amazing results.

Expecting these same results for FSX / FSX-SE, it is just just being on denial, it cannot be done.

Soon or later Lockheed Martin will also drop compatibility for FSX, and that day we will see Prepar3d moving forward even faster with new technology, graphics engine, etc. So FSX developers will just disappear, it is just a matter of time.

Best wishes,

Simbol 

4 hours ago, simbol said:

So FSX developers will just disappear, it is just a matter of time.

I do agree with most of your comments regarding payware, but the above statement hasn't proven to be true with freeware for FS2004, CFS and a few others.

There will always be a developer who likes to create stuff just because they can.

Heck, stuff is still being written for 40 year old home computers. :-)

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

14 hours ago, airernie said:

Heck, stuff is still being written for 40 year old home computers. :-)

I am sure from time to time staff at the museum create new perforated cards to fire this baby up..

95151821_04d76893d8_b.jpg

:wink:

S.

5 hours ago, simbol said:

I am sure from time to time staff at the museum create new perforated cards to fire this baby up..

I don't see how they could resist. :biggrin:

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

It always make me laugh when some folks think that new is the end all be all.  Most of p3vd customers are 13 years old and they have the problem of short attention span.  So yeah it's the new shinny thing, but it comes with all the old problems, you have more memory access but it is still CPU hungry and defaults to using only one core (sound familiar?).  So you will see a drop off in interest as all the teens grow up.  Then your left with old guys with money with no where to spend because everyone thought the new shinny thing would last.  Sounds penny wise but pound foolish to me.  That being said thanks for the suggestions guys for now I will just use Portland -Hillsboro until someone mabey FS dream team will do it 🙂

If Flightbeam’s Portland is the one jointly developed with Bill Womack (iblue yonder), Bill was ‘testing the market’ for interest in a FSX version when the P3D version was released - so it is/was being considered. Might pay to contact him.

Thanks Portia911, but he has no plans to implement to FSX.  He believes the FSX format is all but dead, and he can make more money with P3dv4

On 1/11/2019 at 10:22 PM, fsusem36 said:

So after patiently waiting for Flightbeam to come out with PDX, only to find that it's in P3v4 only kinda sucks, because I still am using FSX and yes I know it's 13+ years old and everyone is jumping on the Prepar band wagon but I'm still waiting.  Mostly because of not wanting to fork out $1500 to 3,000 for a new system, and because I have a ton of add-on's that finally make FSX enjoyable, and because I can still run Win 7 (I hate Win 10).  Tried some other 3rd party versions of PDX but was not impressed.  Does any know of a 32 bit PDX version that doesn't suck?

Thanks

CPU 3.5/ 1080TI  FSX+ACCEL  Megascenry earth/ any many more add-on's

Bit off topic, but if you can run FSX smoothly with all those (and more) addons, you won't need to fork out nearly as much money as you think.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I mean, you're talking about not wanting to fork out $1500 to $3000 for a new system. I'm telling you that you shouldn't need to fork out that much. P3Dv4 should run pretty smoothly on your current rig. You might just need a CPU upgrade, at worst.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough