Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

What is Plan GS?

I been Googling but not making much progress. I am not a real pilot so I am not familiar with these terms.   

I need help on how to determine the correct planned Ground Speed.  I am not sure what this means? Should it be Ground Speed at Top of Cruise, Top of Decent or average GS for the duration of the entire flight? Or is it simply aircraft cruise speed at the FL?  

I am flying TBM 900 between PAOT and PANC which is 475 NM. 

Per POH PERFORMANCE (ISA conditions, MTOW, no wind,)

Maximum cruise speed at long-range settings 252 KTAS 467 km/h

Time-to climb to 31,000 ft. 18 min. 45 sec.

Certified ceiling 31,000 ft. 9,449 m

So at max FL310 what should be my planned GS to travel 475 NM?

thanks for the help

Sims

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

Ground Speed really makes no difference in aviation.  We are concerned with True Air Speed.  TAS is our speed through an through an air mass (its what the airfoils are actually feeling flow across them). The direction that the air is moving has an effect on Ground Speed (sometimes drastic, especially in the upper atmosphere where the winds can be very excessive at times). TAS is used for v1, vr and v2 as well as approach speeds, again because wind direction effects out lift etc.and cruse speed.

I suggest you go to Simbrief or any other online flight planning site and fill out your flight plan.  In the briefing you will receive it will show you the particulars for a flight and all of the predicted speeds, temps, way-points  etc.  

good flying!

Let me add that the FAA has some great e-books for free on aviation; stuff like this and many other parts of flying.  Just google it.

Edited by GKELLERMAN

Ground Speed = True Airspeed +/- the Wind Speed Component.

You can use the E6B Calculator HERE, or

For the Wind Speed Component, you can use the calculator HERE, just substitute wind heading for Runway Heading.

Additional Information at: https://www.ivao.aero/training/documentation/books/PP_ADC_Headwind_croswind_calc.pdf

There are a lot of Aviation Calculaors availble online and I think there is a small but great application here in the AVSIM Library. If you search in the future, use Calculator as part of your search phrase (Wind Speed Calculator, Descent Calculator, etc.).

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

3 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

So at max FL310 what should be my planned GS to travel 475 NM?

With the TBM900 your TAS (true airspeed) at FL310 with normal cruise settings will be around 310 knots. Now let's assume you excpect a 50 knot headwind, then you would plan with a GS of 260 knots. Got it? 😉

But in the end it doesn't really matter, Pilot2ATC uses this to pre-plan your ETA and TOD shown on the map. But all this is re-calculated during your flight so you don't have to worry about it much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GKELLERMAN said:

Ground Speed really makes no difference in aviation

tell that to the PF on QFA9 .......

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

5 hours ago, GKELLERMAN said:

TAS is used for v1, vr and v2 as well as approach speeds, again because wind direction effects out lift etc.and cruse speed.

that's IAS

for now, cheers

john martin

7 hours ago, RobW05 said:

With the TBM900 your TAS (true airspeed) at FL310 with normal cruise settings will be around 310 knots. Now let's assume you excpect a 50 knot headwind, then you would plan with a GS of 260 knots. Got it? 😉

But in the end it doesn't really matter, Pilot2ATC uses this to pre-plan your ETA and TOD shown on the map. But all this is re-calculated during your flight so you don't have to worry about it much. 

Thanks. This is much easier to understand

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2