Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

Can auto step climb work for lower steps?

Occasionally I get some lower flight levels and I was wondering if the auto step climb would work with that or is it strictly for climbing?

also if my initial is at FL380 and I have go down to FL370 do I still type it as 37000S even though it's lower?

-Angelo Busato

I do not believe it will auto step down. As far as I know step down are very rarely done, I know of real world pilot who has never performed a step down 

EDIT. With the above comment about real pilot, meant stepdonws that are in a FP route. Step downs for Fuel temps or better winds yes these will happen more often

Edited by Olympic260

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I've performed numerous step downs over the Pacific heading west into some pretty crazy winds.  Also have stepped down due to fuel temps over Siberia a couple times.  Programming the CDU is as you say /370S.  Whether PMDGs will auto step for you I have no idea. Never bothered to try it out in the Sim.  Give it a shot and let us know.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

As far as I know step down are very rarely done

I've only ever experienced it once. Flying from Orlando to Cleveland, we were initially at flight level 350 when I felt the plane descend much earlier than I expected to. I looked at FlightAware and discovered that we had descended to flight level 340 and stayed there for the rest of the flight until we started our descent into Cleveland.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.