Sign in to follow this  
Langyboy63

Air Hauler 2 released out of Beta £29.99 ,$37.95

From Justflight.

I am looking at this, anyone use it and recommend it to me. and is it worth the bucks.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

Been running the early access version for a long time now.

To be honest, it’s been release ready for quite a few versions imho.

i think it’s great. Well worth it. So much to do and discover. 

Recommended.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks GH.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

Been using it since Beta release it has gotten better over time and I feel it is well worth it also.

Well it just gives you a reason for flying GA aircraft, but if you start hardcore it can take a while to move to diff aircraft starting at the bottom.

What I've noticed is that you will fly allot of small aircraft heavy.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Just now, FPStewy said:

Well it just gives you a reason for flying GA aircraft, but if you start hardcore it can take a while to move to diff aircraft starting at the bottom.

What I've noticed is that you will fly allot of small aircraft heavy.

Errmmmm.......just start on easy and buy a cargo jet instead? 

It's good fun and as others have said it has actually been ready for release for absolutely ages, not sure why they held it in early access for all that time.

Here's my tip for it: Buy (or lease) something like a regional turboprop, hire about six pilots who can fly it, and set up a daily scheduled passenger route with something like ten daily flights back and forth between two bases a few hundred miles apart (say, something like Heathrow to Paris). Copy and paste the schedule to have it repeating for every day of the week and then just leave them to it (this will effectively manage itself without you having to do much). Doing that will provide a steady income in the background which helps to pay for stuff whilst you can get on with exploring everything else AH does.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for the feedback.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, Chock said:

It's good fun and as others have said it has actually been ready for release for absolutely ages, not sure why they held it in early access for all that time.

Here's my tip for it: Buy (or lease) something like a regional turboprop, hire about six pilots who can fly it, and set up a daily scheduled passenger route with something like ten daily flights back and forth between two bases a few hundred miles apart (say, something like Heathrow to Paris). Copy and paste the schedule to have it repeating for every day of the week and then just leave them to it (this will effectively manage itself without you having to do much). Doing that will provide a steady income in the background which helps to pay for stuff whilst you can get on with exploring everything else AH does.

Interesting! Are these routes something that you will be able to see in-game as AI as well, or is it limited to the UI of AH2?

I've been interested in AH2 as, like others said, it would give me more reason to fly my smaller aircraft. But, here's another question: would you say AH2 is specifically intended for a particular type of transport, or is it meant to simulate both cargo and pax equally? I'd love to have a small company that ferries cargo and pax around OrbX PNW, and up to CYVR, for example, as one branch of operations. Perhaps another one in the middle east. AH2 seems like a gigantic sandbox, but some input from those that have it and use it would be appreciated with regards to its limits?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

I've been interested in AH2 as, like others said, it would give me more reason to fly my smaller aircraft. But, here's another question: would you say AH2 is specifically intended for a particular type of transport, or is it meant to simulate both cargo and pax equally? I'd love to have a small company that ferries cargo and pax around OrbX PNW, and up to CYVR, for example, as one branch of operations. Perhaps another one in the middle east. AH2 seems like a gigantic sandbox, but some input from those that have it and use it would be appreciated with regards to its limits?

It could be whatever you want it to be, think of it like a strategy type of game.

You can manage stuff on easy mode and not even do one actual flight and rake up $millions or you can make it hardcore starting with a cessna C172 or A35 ect... and do the Cargo/Pax flights yourself and without any "virtual pilots" nickel and dimming it and take forever to move up the ladder.

The difficulties are:

pVBHFqe.jpg

I started with Nomad which is the hardest and been at it for about 6 months (off and on) and now have 2 virtual pilots doing to pax routes for some basic income, just enough to pay the monthly overhead of about $35k and I have PA-31 for myself doing cargo runs and my total now is about $230K saved up. My next goal is to get about $700K to buy a used C208 FedEx Cargomaster 🙂

qTaw8Q1.jpg

You input the aircraft that you have and can buy then new or used but with a lower condition if they are available, for example for me the C208B FedEx Cargo is $710K but it will come and go depending on the "market". I could buy it new at any time but it's $1.2M

This is an example of the Cargo run available for me at this time and my Base Airport is KPWT

YpXY498.jpg

If your flying a C172 you are limited by the Quantity so the lower the quantity the lower the pay. In my PA-31 at the moment I can AirHaul between 1500 and 2100 depending on distance.

I think I did about 40 flights in the C172/A35 before getting my PA-31 so if you don't like flying GA then this is not for you.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Some great information right there Stewy, thanks!! It all sounds very intriguing. Personally I fly any and all types of aircraft, it all depends what I'm in the mood for. You mention your base is KPWT, yet there's many jobs not starting at KPWT. Does that mean you have to fly to the origin airport first, or...? For example, the first entry is CAV3-CYDQ. Does that simply mean there's no way you can fulfill that job? Or is it all not so rigid?

it also seems like AH2 makes a persistent environment, so that even if I don't have time to fly for three weeks, the simulation keeps running in the background. I'm guessing that means that you have to check in every so often to make your company doesn't go off a cliff? How much time do you generally put in to keep things going?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

9 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Interesting! Are these routes something that you will be able to see in-game as AI as well, or is it limited to the UI of AH2?

Air Hauler 2 can simulate very many things and it's very much up to you how you use it. At its most basic level, you can simply use it to generate jobs for you to fly to new places with a purpose, but if you choose to, it can be an entire passenger and/or cargo airline simulation, with everything that entails, or, you can go for something in between those two extremes.

So if you like, you can just use it purely as a management sim and literally never fly a flight yourself nor even crank up your flight sim, instead having the AI do it all for you, in which case your management role would be to hire and fire people, train them and assign them to various aircraft as crew etc, develop operations, manage bases, handle routes, supply chains etc and it would never actually need to connect up to your flight sim if you used it that way.

But of course we don't want to let the AI have all the flying fun, so, like most users, what I do is a bit of both, i.e. I'll have many AI pilots flying both passenger and cargo flights, some of which are regular scheduled ones, some of which are ad-hoc ones  requiring a bit more hands-on management by me.

Then, with the month's income safely secured from those AI-handled flights, I indulge myself with whatever I fancy flying actually in the sim; so I have private jets in which which can do ad-hoc passenger charters, but I also have a 747-8 available (that one is leased) for when I want to do big cargo jobs, then I have a C-119 Flying Boxcar for some old-school cargo hauling. I can do this safe in the knowledge that my 787s, MD11s, CJ4s, Dash 8s etc, are merrily keeping me in the financial black courtesy of those AI pilots at the controls.

My AH2 company (Atlantic Bridge) employs 62 pilots (they are all women too - hey, it's my company and I can do what I like, Atlantic Bridge is an Unequal Opportunities Employer lol). It has numerous bases of operation, in Europe, South America and Africa, some of which are main hubs, others are simply places where storage, staging, repairs and fuel will be cheaper. So you can see that Air Hauler 2 can be made to suit pretty much anything you want to do; it's just as practical to be a one-man owner/operator in a little Cessna out in the bush if you prefer to do that kind of thing as it is to try and go for world domination with a massive fleet of jumbos or whatever.

If you do indulge in having AI fly a larger fleet, your company aircraft do appear as AI in the sim, since whether you play AH2 or not, it nevertheless runs 24/7 without you. So, if you have your sim running and you are positioned where your fleet are, at appropriate times you will see them crank up and taxy out to fly the passenger routes or cargo flights they have assigned to them, or come in for a landing, taxy in and load or unload in real time, unless you intervene and assist with the loading yourself (it'd be a cold day in hell when the management at my real job would do that lol).

For example, I have several aircraft in my fleet which fly routes to and from EGGP to various European destinations on a daily schedule, they are operated by a large number of AI pilots, since you need multiple crew members to fly them owing to pilot hours restrictions as per the real world. I fly my fleet aircraft pretty hard because aircraft don't make money when sat on the ground doing nothing, but obviously they do not fly constantly, since they need maintenance every once in a while, which they can receive when on the ramp overnight at any of my bases.

Among these are a Majestic Dash 8 Q400 and three NextGen Cessna CJ4X 525 Citations, which fly routes between EGGP, LFPB, LEAM, EDDK and ULAA. Since my Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar also happened to be parked at EGGP, from me having flown some cargo there in it, I was able to load it up in Air Hauler 2 and P3D, very early in the morning, to see what happened to be on the EGGP ramp at that time. Thus I saw two of my CJ4 fleet stopped there, awaiting their next scheduled departure slots:

STKLZ1k.png

Below is a screengrab of some AI-controlled passenger flights at the time of the above P3D V4.4 screenshot. You can see some completed flights (highlighted in green), one of which was operated with one of those CJ4s you can see on the ramp (G-ABAB). You can also see that it will be departing from Liverpool at 6am to fly a scheduled passenger flight to Paris Le Bourget, and for this it will be piloted by Andrea Savage. The other CJ4 which you can see parked up (G-ABAD), will be departing shortly (at 2.15am) for a flight to Archangelsk and will be piloted by Diane Sheaf. This is one of the good things about the CJ4: It can be flown by a single pilot, whereas you can see that the B787-900 Dreamliner inbound to Le Bourget, Paris from Bogota, Columbia on another scheduled flight, needs three pilots on board since it is a long transatlantic crossing. Likewise, the Dash 8 which set off for Paris from Liverpool at just after midnight is obviously being piloted by two people, as would be the case with a real one. Note that both those flights are in progress, and so they are highlighted in yellow. Thre ones yet to be highlighted are of course pending their scheduled time:

kBbAoYH.jpg

It's worth noting that this, and some other utility screens in AH2, are in fact remarkably similar to the Chroma Flight Information System which we use at Manchester Airport for real. The real Chroma system screens are updated automatically by NATS, so we see what any aircraft listed is carrying (pax and bags), what is their ETA, which stand they have been provisionally assigned, when they've been cleared for an approach and whether there is anything unusual aboard which requires special handling (pets, firearms, wheelchairs etc). The screens in AH2 do all that stuff as well, so if you like emulating real world operations, this is pretty similar to what we use on the real aeroplanes.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thank you Chock! I’ve had AH2 for a while now but I learned some things from your post thank you. 

12 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

You mention your base is KPWT, yet there's many jobs not starting at KPWT. Does that mean you have to fly to the origin airport first, or...? For example, the first entry is CAV3-CYDQ. Does that simply mean there's no way you can fulfill that job? Or is it all not so rigid?

it also seems like AH2 makes a persistent environment, so that even if I don't have time to fly for three weeks, the simulation keeps running in the background. I'm guessing that means that you have to check in every so often to make your company doesn't go off a cliff? How much time do you generally put in to keep things going?

The jobs will show up only near your bases, bases are rented monthly, the bigger the base the more expensive it will be, I choose KPWT because it has an RNAV/ILS and I have all the Orbx PNW/SC regions so I  just go up/down the NW coast.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1oMki4fAslLZKQiCQIn2fNSvvzG0&ll=45.86493492546209%2C-108.5242161914062&z=5

If the job is CAV3-CYDQ, you have to go to CAV3 to load the cargo, so you would have make sure you have enough cargo space, then "Fly this Aircraft" via AH2 first to CAV3, then if CYDQ is a 700ft grass strip I'm not landing there heavy with a PA-31, third if I only have 20 minutes left to complete the job, forget it I won't accept that job. 🙂

During the summer I left it alone for a month without touching it and my 2 virtual pilots kept doing their pax routes from/to KPWT/CYYJ twice per day with a PA-31. This is my ledger for the past 3 days and I did two cargo jobs. It's a mess setting up the Pax routes but after a cpl of hours I got the hang of it. The more experience you virtual pilots become the more expensive they will become.

aGaxXwA.jpg

This is my overhead, I just did $31K with my two cargo runs but as long as I make $34K/month with my 2 VP's I will slowly make some gains, once I get about $750K I can buy my C208B FedEx and hire a third VP to then do another pax route with my PA-31 ect.... but I'm taking it very slow.

WdHSvqE.jpg