Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Need help - KAP 140

Ever since I started logging hours in the 310R Redux I have had trouble with the KAP 140 autopilot disengaging at what appeared to be at random.  For several flights early on a year or so ago, it appeared to occur about two hours into flights.  This past week I closely watched some Youtube KAP 140 video tutorials and noted that changing some avionics settings or applying some control inputs can cause the KAP 140 to first enunciate an issue, providing time to react. Then if not overridden, to disengage. That raised my curiosity, so I logged some hours in the Redux to observe.

On a relatively short flight from Bloomington, Indiana (kBMG), to Aurora, Illinois (KARR), I experienced two times when the KAP 140 disengaged.  I did not catch it until after the fact in both instances. So I will ask for help for that issue.

The next day I completed my return flight. During the return flight I did near a turn notice the KAP 140 begin a flashing annunciation, then disconnect.  I had made no changes to my flight plan or autopilot button selections, but I noted that I had bumped the yoke with my left hand.  Upon that I started to experiment and belive I found my issue.

I am using a Saitek Pro Cessna Yoke.  The yoke has a 4 way hat switch on the left under the left thumb location.  I use the L to R function of that switch to pan views in and out, mostly in the virtual cockpit.  I use the fore/aft function of that switch in the 301C Redux to apply pitch-trim. That hat switch is not super tight and does not separate the functions of its two axis, especially when at rest at the mid point position for both axis. 

What I found was that unless I was very very careful when using the L to R function of that four way rocker  switch to pan in and out on my VC, I could inadvertently signal the other axis: elevator trim. It appears that even the shortest signal to the trim axis causes the KAP 140 to initiate a disengage. I understand that applying trim in the real world will cause this from a KAP 140, but I would think it should take more than an inadvertent micro-second bump.

There is no way I can find to adjust the sensitivity or null zone of the hat switch.  I need the trim rocker to be functional during maneuvering flight and during landing.  So what I would like to inquire about is if there is some other method within the KAP 140 coding to reduce the sensitivity there; require a longer signal; or for lack of that, a user-configurable lock out of trim switch as an influence to the KAP 140?

Finally, on the issue of not catching these disengage annunciations as they occur, another issue I noted is that in the Redux the audible warning from the KAP 140 that it is encountering an exception is very low volume compared to engine and environmental sound thresholds.  I spent about an hour flying around, adjusting my various FSX sound levels, trying to get a more significant disengage warning from the KAP 140.  I was able to gain some, but I do not believe enough.  Are you able to provide an increase in the warning's sound level?  The current warning level is a fraction of that for your BE55 and original 310R.

If you wish for me to post this instead in the support area at your website please advise and I will comply,

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank, I have the same Saitek yoke, but I use the hat switch strictly for panning up/down, left/right.

I've assigned the vertical rocker switch just below the hat for the elevator trim.

Yes the KAP140 doesn't seem to tolerate quick changes and will disconnect even in mild turbulence. The programmer for the KAP140 provides support in the official product forum on the Milviz website.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

Frank, I have the same Saitek yoke, but I use the hat switch strictly for panning up/down, left/right.

I've assigned the vertical rocker switch just below the hat for the elevator trim.

Yes the KAP140 doesn't seem to tolerate quick changes and will disconnect even in mild turbulence. The programmer for the KAP140 provides support in the official product forum on the Milviz website.

Who do I contact there, Bill?  Even an amp'd up warning tone would help.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Taguilo

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Frank, is there a reason you don't use the up/down rocker that's just below the hat switch?  That switch is positioned much the same as RW GA yokes' electric elevator trim and I'd bet you find that most of us have it set up that way.  Seems to me that's by far the best solution to your issue, as the chances of moving into another axis with the hat switch will always be high.

BTW, I think the hat switch is really an 8 way (4 axis) controller (up/down, left/right, upper left/lower right, upper right/lower left).

Scott

1 hour ago, tttocs said:

Frank, is there a reason you don't use the up/down rocker that's just below the hat switch? 

On 1/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, n4gix said:

On 1/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, fppilot said:

I use the fore/aft function of that switch in the 301C Redux to apply pitch-trim.

I should have said 4 way rocker instead of 4 way hat.  I believe we are all doing the same. The Pro Cessna yoke I use is depicted below.  There is some sloppiness in the center of that rocker, so as I use the L to R it can inadvertently signal the vertical.  I am having to be wayyyy to careful in the Redux to keep from alerting it's KAP 140 AP of an event.  I would like to see a higher threshold for event detection, and would also like an amped up alarm tone.  The alarm tone I am getting in the Redux is a fraction of the tone in for instance the Milviz Baron, and virtually all of my other add-on aircraft.

46731411661_e6765efc76.jpg

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks for the direction.  I have posted over at the Milviz Redux Support forum for Taguilo .

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Oh I see the your yoke is slightly different than mine. I have a clock in the center, and only an 8-way hat and a single horizontal rocker switch below it. The right side of mine is identical to yours.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Oh I see the your yoke is slightly different than mine. I have a clock in the center, and only an 8-way hat and a single horizontal rocker switch below it. The right side of mine is identical to yours.

That is Saitek, but not the Pro Cessna model.  I had to get a timer and velcro stem mount from Sporty's! LOL!  You have a solid fore/aft two way rocker! No sloppy middle like my four way rocker!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Ahhh... Now I understand your issue.  Sorry Frank, I didn't realize the Cessna model was so different from the standard one.

Scott

On 1/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, tttocs said:

Ahhh... Now I understand your issue.  Sorry Frank, I didn't realize the Cessna model was so different from the standard one.

Scott

Got help on their support site to overcome the sloppy center in the Saitek 4-way rocker switch . Much improved.  Also an improved autopilot disconnect alert tone was made available in my topic there.

Frank Patton
ASUS