Sign in to follow this  
Perry333

TV vs Ultra Wide screen appreciate opinions

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on which way I should go TV or Ultra wide monitor. I will be getting a Jetline systems with i9-9900K o/c to 5GHZ,  2080ti,  and moving over to P3D v4. I am leaning towards the samsung 43" UHD 4K NU7100 tv(can't go bigger because of space) mostly because of the extra height so I can get a bigger view of the cockpit. But the 34" ultra wide monitor look pretty nice too with G-sync, although about twice the cost. Anyways appreciate your experience you have either way, Thanks Perry.

The NU7100 at 43" is likely to be an IPS panel, the 50" is a guaranteed VA (I have an NU7400)

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

TV all the way. That ultrawide is actually narrower than the TV and  will look tiny!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

54 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

The NU7100 at 43" is likely to be an IPS panel, the 50" is a guaranteed VA (I have an NU7400)

NU7100 is a VA panel.

Matt Wilson

I would look for a display with a wide color gamut - 95%+ DCI P3 support. It's going to probably triple the price though 😞 You are not going to find a quality display in the size range or price. But ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Stay away from VA panels!

Edited by strider1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

It's a mixture, the first generation were VA and rest were IPS at that size, at least in Europe. This is a common trait to all of Samsung's cheaper models, it's pot luck if you get VA or IPS (except at 50", all 50" has to be VA).

The NU7400 has WCG support but will obviously only display a subset of that as it's an 8+2 bit panel iirc. The HDR is rubbish, no such thing as budget HDR sadly.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, Perry333 said:

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on which way I should go TV or Ultra wide monitor. I will be getting a Jetline systems with i9-9900K o/c to 5GHZ,  2080ti,  and moving over to P3D v4. I am leaning towards the samsung 43" UHD 4K NU7100 tv(can't go bigger because of space) mostly because of the extra height so I can get a bigger view of the cockpit. But the 34" ultra wide monitor look pretty nice too with G-sync, although about twice the cost. Anyways appreciate your experience you have either way, Thanks Perry.

Go for the 43 inch TV for sure if your looking for a better cockpit view.  I went from a 38 inch ultra wide to a 43 inch TV and it was well worth it.  The NU7100 makes an excellent PC monitor.  Just be aware TV's in that price range don't have the brightest screens.  Something to be aware of if using in a bright lit room. 

Matt Wilson

10 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Stay away from VA panels!

Why?

Matt Wilson

11 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

The HDR is rubbish, no such thing as budget HDR sadly.

I couldn't agree more.  It is a serious case of false advertising. 

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

Why?

IPS has better color when it comes to monitors. I guess most tvs are VA. Ive tested a few a VA panels and the color just looked washed out compared to even my cheap IPS panels ive had in the past. 

Eric Escobar

3 minutes ago, strider1 said:

IPS has better color when it comes to monitors. I guess most tvs are VA. Ive tested a few a VA panels and the color just looked washed out compared to even my cheap IPS panels ive had in the past. 

IMO VA panels have much better contrast ratios.  Much better blacks in a dark room.  Each to there own it is all a trade off.  I haven't noticed any washed out colors on any of my VA panels though.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

IMO VA panels have much better contrast ratios.  Much better blacks in a dark room.  Each to there own it is all a trade off.  I haven't noticed any washed out colors on any of my VA panels though.

Yes they do have better contrast ratios but whats the point if the color is awful? You are just used to it and you have nothing to compare it too.  I bought this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1430352-REG/philips_436m6vbpab_43_mva_panel_4k.html   and I returned a few days later after comparing it to my cheap IPS panel. I am into photography so color accuracy is very important! We spend thousands of dollars on our PCs but skimp on the cheapest monitors! 

Eric Escobar

Basically if you are doing night flying in dark room you will want VA because of increased contrast and better black level. VA also works better for fast gaming because it responds quicker than IPS, although VA can ghost and blur.

IPS has better colours but suffers from IPS glow. viewing angle is better but that's not really a consideration on monitors. And a good VA will do reasonable colours anyway, providing you're not doing professional graphics editing; my AOC Q2778VQE (TN panel) was tested as covering 98.9% of sRGB.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

hey guys thanks for the input, I think I will go for the 43" nu7100 just because of the price as I'm already spending a bit on new computer and upgrading other things to P3D. Maybe down the road I can look at newer versions of Samsung tv when prices come down again. Thanks again