Sign in to follow this  
mikevio

Complete Newbie looking for advice

55 minutes ago, charliearon said:

OK, has anyone one else noticed that the OP hasn't posted since the first page??  Ya think he got his answer or does everyone want to continue the "Mine is bigger and better than yours" discussion?:wacko:

Unfortunately that's the sandbox we're in. This discussion was never going to happen without the basis of it being sim comparisons. 

Just one more opinion here, but I don't think FSX is a good recommendation, if the idea is to "try out" flight simming for the first time, and then move on to one of the current major 64-bit sims. Because it's not just about software, but about the hardware needed on the current major platforms.

That means plenty of system memory, a big hard drive or SSD if you want to get into orthophoto-based scenery, a CPU with good multithreaded performance, and a fast video card with plenty of VRAM.

Running FSX won't tell you what you need for the current generation of sims, unless you stress the system by loading it to the gills with add-ons. And even then, out-of-memory errors will give a misleading picture of how the current 64-bit generation of sims has gone past those limitations. 

Instead, try the free (and repeatable) 30 minute X-Plane 11 demo, or the P3D trial, and that will tell you whether your computer system is ready for the current generation of flight sims.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

51 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Unfortunately that's the sandbox we're in. This discussion was never going to happen without the basis of it being sim comparisons. 

Nothing wrong with a good debate.  It’s good people are passionate about this hobby.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

On 1/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, mpw8679 said:

I don’t know what everyone’s beef with Rob is about.  Most everything he has mentioned is accurate.

I don't know either especially when I suggested try XP11 for best "out of box" experience.  Is it because I mentioned P3D as another alternative?  I presented my experience with both and I don't see any inaccuracy, maybe some opinion here and there on both sides.  

Anyway, the OP seems to be not interested as they haven't responded or added any content ... or the thread was bait from the get go.  I think it would foolish to expect such a thread to not compare product strengths and weaknesses as that is core to the OP's original question.  I'll agree with Tony in some aspects it's "opinion" in others it's not ... maybe some users do like the brown haze 24/7 from XP11 or maybe some users do like the rather simple (circa 2000) Autogen buildings in P3D?  Their choice, but they are worth pointing out.

Honestly, I've come to the point where I'll just stop posting/visiting as who needs?  Not me, I have other priorities in life ... it seems unless the only words to come out of someone's mouth regarding XP11 are "XP11 is the best thing ever and everyone should buy it because it's perfect", then it turns into a "on the defensive" reality show ... the reality is there are about 230,000 semi-active flight simmers globally across all platforms including multi-platform simmers (no I'm not going to tell you how I know or qualify it).  That's simply NOT enough to check all the boxes nor enough to engage massive development teams.  We're all living with compromises driven by small market of users and small development teams.  The products are not perfect, can require some work, need to be improved ... and that is happening very slowly but it's NOT happening with FSX/FSX-SE.   P3D has had to suffer years of operating under limitations of "if it doesn't work in FSX it's not going to be done" for "P3D supported" products.

May you all enjoy your platform(s) of choice no matter what they be or how you like to use them ... flight has always been and should always be something that makes you feel good and that can only come from within.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Guest

LOL. I just saw a person ask over at the Org the difference between Xplane and P3D. Be like walking into the Boeing showroom and asking the difference between a Boeing and Airbus aircraft. May just get a biased opinion. 🙂

7 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

LOL. I just saw a person ask over at the Org the difference between Xplane and P3D. Be like walking into the Boeing showroom and asking the difference between a Boeing and Airbus aircraft. May just get a biased opinion. 🙂

Well of course he will 😁, but you will get exactly the same here at Avsim where the majority of users are on P3D and FSX. It's always good to do your own research

• Like 5

On 1/15/2019 at 3:06 AM, tonywob said:

Well of course he will 😁, but you will get exactly the same here at Avsim where the majority of users are on P3D and FSX. It's always good to do your own research

Precisely.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 1/15/2019 at 2:06 AM, tonywob said:

Also remember that Xplane11 has a limited demo, one can get a feel for the sim and its performance.  P3DV4.4 will outperform Xplane11 at max settings or be its equal if one configures Xplane11 just right.  Nvidia Inspector is also a help, although I have only one setting tweaked there which I referenced in another thread.  One main goal is not to "hypertweak" the sims and also to avoid overclocking unless one has an environment cooled like a big mainframe computer.  I tried overclocking my Nvidia card on my old system just once and it was the only blue screen I ever had, fortunately only in FSX so I was able to undo the curiosity that almost killed the cat....  At 3.6 GHZ and my Nvidia card bundled with my MSI Vortex I have had no quibbles or complaints, other than envy of those with faster cpu's--to a point, I do not envy what they paid for them, I preferred my budget decision, lol, and used the difference to invest in add-ons.

John