Sign in to follow this  
rjornd

MD-11 Gone Forever?

Life gets in the way sometimes. I'm sure many people can understand this when it comes to our hobby passion for flying.

Such is the case with me. I had purchased the PMDG MD-11 when it was first released. I was even one of the voices for FS2Crew's add-on for the aircraft. Sadly, I never took the time to dive into this beautiful example of aviation history.

Now that I'm getting to the point in my life where I have more time to get back in the virtual skies, I would love to be able to use what I purchased. Unfortunately, I see it is no longer offered on the website and 

I understand that it doesn't make business sense to keep a product on the shelves if there's no demand for it. However, let's keep the legacy products going and support those who still have them in their order history. I had reached out to PMDG support in mid-August about the "License Not Found" issue and was informed by Chris Makris that "The MD11 activator is currently not working, We are aware of this and investigating but any solution will not be provided before the release of the 747-8 I am afraid."

Well, it seems that the Queen's upgrade to the -8 has been completed. Should I have hopes of being able to fly the MD-11 in FSX?

Edited by rjornd

Keeping my eyes skyward,

Raymond Jornd

Sr. Captain

American Airlines Virtual

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

13 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Thanks for the apparent attempt to assist, Dave. I should have clarified the platform I'm using is FSX.

Keeping my eyes skyward,

Raymond Jornd

Sr. Captain

2 minutes ago, rjornd said:

Thanks for the apparent attempt to assist, Dave. I should have clarified the platform I'm using is FSX.

Ah!  Understand.

PMDG has made it clear a few times that they will not be able to upgrade the MD-11 for P3D, so I'd say little to no hope for a PMDG MD-11.  GIven their past statements, I doubt you could even get someone at PMDG to even respond to an inquiry.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

59 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

PMDG has made it clear a few times that they will not be able to upgrade the MD-11 for P3D, so I'd say little to no hope for a PMDG MD-11.  GIven their past statements, I doubt you could even get someone at PMDG to even respond to an inquiry.

I still think something's getting lost in the translation here. He's asking to be able to use the MD-11 that he purchased for use in FSX. Not really sure where P3D came into the mix. In any event, probably better to submit a support ticket on this if you want to make sure they actually see it.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

MD-11 is a thrilling aircraft. Its a pitty that such complex simulation is being thrown in the garbage.

• Like 1

It's surprising to me that they wouldn't at least keep activation services alive for existing customers... I'm glad I have the Aerosoft-published DVD version which has no online activation limitations. I'm sure they have valid reasons for not pursuing a P3D update for the MD-11 (not the least of which could be legal concerns regarding IP, for example) but I feel like activations need to be kept alive at bare minimum.

Anyway, the MD-11 in FSX can still be a really enjoyable way to sim, and with its light performance impact you can pretty much get around FSX's poor optimization and enjoy some of the latest sceneries and addons with it, while avoiding OOMs (remember those?):

Efy7TUW.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Interesting that PMDG not only has removed the MD-11 from their website (along with any remnants of it) but also have removed it from the customers account and disabled the ability to install it? 🙂

If the idea behind this move, is make sure that there'll be as few support inquiries from customers as possible (since they've killed the support for their legacy products), why don't they just release the MD-11 as a free product, without license checks - and without any support etc... a little like Radar Contact did a few weeks back... after all, the aircraft is 12½ years old.

I know, I know... it's most likely a dream (and an impossible dream at that), since there's probably licensing issues, which is making the suggestion complicated and difficult.

I mean no disrespect or offense towards anyone! I was merely - well - thinking out loud, I guess... 🙂

@molleh 
Beautiful picture, man! Such a magnificent and amazing bird. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Anders Bermann
Corrected on the information from OP
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

36 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interesting that PMDG not only has removed the MD-11 from their website (along with any remnants of it) but also have removed it from the customers account and/or disabled the ability to install it? (<-- am I missing something here?) 🙂

The installer is still in my orders list and I can still download the file. However, without a way to activate my product the file is useless. 😢

• Like 1

Keeping my eyes skyward,

Raymond Jornd

Sr. Captain

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I still think something's getting lost in the translation here. He's asking to be able to use the MD-11 that he purchased for use in FSX. Not really sure where P3D came into the mix. In any event, probably better to submit a support ticket on this if you want to make sure they actually see it.

You are correct that I'm wanting to use what I've purchased. The P3D came into the mix from my oversight of mentioning originally which platform I'm flying it on. My OP was edited to reflect which platform.

In my original post, I did mention and quote the reply from PMDG support.

Keeping my eyes skyward,

Raymond Jornd

Sr. Captain

15 minutes ago, rjornd said:

The installer is still in my orders list and I can still download the file. However, without a way to activate my product the file is useless. 😢

Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, rjornd said:

In my original post, I did mention and quote the reply from PMDG support.

Yes, I saw that, and it might be worth it to re-open said support ticket since it's possible they might have forgotten about it by now. The 747-8 was released in September, and it's now January, so I guess it wouldn't hurt at this point.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I have the FSX MD11 still working great, but this Aerosoft-published DVD version where I do not need the PMDG activation. For some reason, PMDG seem to be hoping their FSX MD11 disappears. 

• Upvote 1

Geoff Bryce

I doin't know about problems activating the MD-11.i just installed it yesterday and it activated fine , you mite want to try it again.

Regards Ted Kiser

P.S. i am flying in vr right now and what a bird in  vr

10 hours ago, molleh said:

It's surprising to me that they wouldn't at least keep activation services alive for existing customers... I'm glad I have the Aerosoft-published DVD version which has no online activation limitations. I'm sure they have valid reasons for not pursuing a P3D update for the MD-11 (not the least of which could be legal concerns regarding IP, for example) but I feel like activations need to be kept alive at bare minimum.

Anyway, the MD-11 in FSX can still be a really enjoyable way to sim, and with its light performance impact you can pretty much get around FSX's poor optimization and enjoy some of the latest sceneries and addons with it, while avoiding OOMs (remember those?):

Efy7TUW.jpg

This beautiful shot is perhaps the only reason why I still have FSX-SE around and with only the PMDG MD-11 in it.  This bird is amazing which makes you forget about the FSX autogen pop-up annoyance etc and enjoy the beautiful sky and cargo run.  I am glad I bought the Box MD-11 version which works just fine.

• Like 2

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020