Sign in to follow this  
jt8d9a

X-ROTORS AW139

I really love this bird! The Devs did an awesome job.

46737950891_58183036d2_h.jpg

46737949001_aa4e67a88b_h.jpg

39772789663_e237e1bad7_h.jpg

46737944821_e7c87fcb8a_h.jpg

• Like 2

nice shots nils.

Is it better than the 412 ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

How can it be better when it's two different kind of helicopters, Zul? 😄

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 hours ago, jt8d9a said:

Oh, it's THAT outfit. Now I remember! Thanks for the link.

They (or he) had an earlier AW 139 available at the .org a while back. Then it was discovered that it used "borrowed assets" and not just a texture from other projects. it was removed from sale with the developer blackballed from the site. Lots of bad blood over in the helicopter forums at the time (and possibly still, I don't hang out there much).

I guess that's why it isn't being sold at the .org store. Sim users have long memories, and IIRC the issue wasn't handled well by the developer at the time.

Let's just say there is an interesting history on this one. I might still give it a shot, although my main criteria for helicopter purchase is whether it will work well in the FSEconomy game. Compared to the Bell 412 (only talking FSE internal specs here, not the actual models), it has only one more passenger seat and burns quite a bit more fuel per hour. It'll be expensive in FSE virtual dollars to run, but I still might try it after the initial bugs are worked out. I want to see how the developer handles himself this time around too.

*Edited to remove mention of support forum at .org, I was confusing myself with the new xAmbience product. 

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

nice shots nils.

Is it better than the 412 ?

Without flying it yet, I can say that one of the big differences is whether you like a glass cockpit like this one, or steam gauges like the 412. There is a glass cockpit 412 in real life, but the X-Trident model is the earlier gauge panel version. 

Personally I'm more of a steam gauge fan, but I do like flying the glass cockpit (free) Bell 429 too. The thing with glass cockpit, especially helicopters, is that it takes a while to get familiar with the individual displays.

It looks like one other difference is the Bell 412 uses the Garmin 530 while the AW 139 uses an airliner style FMC (maybe the popup Garmin still works?). If you're more familiar with one or the other type, that might be a factor.

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Without flying it yet, I can say that one of the big differences is whether you like a glass cockpit like this one, or steam gauges like the 412. There is a glass cockpit 412 in real life, but the X-Trident model is the earlier gauge panel version. 

Personally I'm more of a steam gauge fan, but I do like flying the glass cockpit (free) Bell 429 too. The thing with glass cockpit, especially helicopters, is that it takes a while to get familiar with the individual displays.

It looks like one other difference is the Bell 412 uses the Garmin 530 while the AW 139 uses an airliner style FMC (maybe the popup Garmin still works?). If you're more familiar with one or the other type, that might be a factor.

Def steam gauges, i find the digital gauges very confusing. 

Prefer simming using the normal nav.  would not know how to use the Garmin 😀 

Nils: super screenshots as usual!

Paraffin: thanks for the story about "borrowed assets", I was not aware.

DumptyHumpty: you are not alone mate 😉 Me too I prefer steam gauges, that's why my preferred helo is the Dreamfoil 407. And I hope Dreamfoil will update the Bell 206 for XP11. Also I'm waiting for the Huey.

- TONY -

6 hours ago, Simicro said:

Nils: super screenshots as usual!

Paraffin: thanks for the story about "borrowed assets", I was not aware.

DumptyHumpty: you are not alone mate 😉 Me too I prefer steam gauges, that's why my preferred helo is the Dreamfoil 407. And I hope Dreamfoil will update the Bell 206 for XP11. Also I'm waiting for the Huey.

That's why i love the 412,  don't have the 407 , did try the 429 but those digits just move too fast to understand.

The Nimbus huey looks and sounds good.

Maybe at a later date will think about the 139. 

Zul, you would love the AW139 too 🙂 The modeling is really nice and performance is also great.

45832717425_cc735788fb_h.jpg

Edited by jt8d9a
  • Like 1

Nils, it must be nice , but when i hear FMC i tend to run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

😉

18 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Oh, it's THAT outfit. Now I remember! Thanks for the link.

They (or he) had an earlier AW 139 available at the .org a while back. Then it was discovered that it used "borrowed assets" and not just a texture from other projects. it was removed from sale with the developer blackballed from the site. Lots of bad blood over in the helicopter forums at the time (and possibly still, I don't hang out there much).

I guess that's why it isn't being sold at the .org store. Sim users have long memories, and IIRC the issue wasn't handled well by the developer at the time.

Let's just say there is an interesting history on this one. I might still give it a shot, although my main criteria for helicopter purchase is whether it will work well in the FSEconomy game. Compared to the Bell 412 (only talking FSE internal specs here, not the actual models), it has only one more passenger seat and burns quite a bit more fuel per hour. It'll be expensive in FSE virtual dollars to run, but I still might try it after the initial bugs are worked out. I want to see how the developer handles himself this time around too.

*Edited to remove mention of support forum at .org, I was confusing myself with the new xAmbience product. 

Hello, this is Xavier from the dev team. You may better get informed before posting such things, Paraffin. The presumed issue you are talking about is something happened in 2006 - yes, twelve years ago - and did NOT involve anyone from the X-Rotors team nor ANY of the current products. Everything should still be readable on the .org website and was also discussed at Helisimmer’s Facebook page. Instead, the AW139 you are talking about here is the proud result of over three years of development and loving dedication to bring the community a competitive product which, by the way, is in use at Leonardo itself, together with some of the biggest helicopters company of the real world. For your information, we’re finishing a brand new website which will be soon available where you can get further informations, videos, pics and keep your add-ons always available. For every other informations, please use the Contact link on x-rotors.com. Again, get informed before throwing stones around.

*Edited. By the way, we’re not on the .org because we’re running a commercial strategy which won’t support websites other than ours, especially one where, beside its fame, a few haters are left ruining a community without any control.

Edited by x-rotors
Extend the answer
  • Like 4

@x-rotors

Yep it was long back during XP10, tbh i didn't like Sergio's (Helisimmer) previous post about that , but glad it's all sorted out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I know how to use one, but I like using a Garmin unit better, because I can leave the pop-up window visible on the side of the main cockpit view, tracking the time to next waypoint while still seeing the forward view (and avoid smacking into a mountain). Seeing the FMC requires a custom camera viewpoint where I have to switch back and forth.

Of course it does need to be the correct nav gear for the aircraft, and many of the larger helicopters like this do use an FMC. So there's that.

BTW, does anyone know if the default Garmin 530 pop-up still works in this helicopter as a sort of hidden mode in conjunction with the FMC? I've seen some models that work this way. It wouldn't be completely realistic to navigate like that, but it might be an option for the FMC-averse.

10 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I know how to use one, but I like using a Garmin unit better, because I can leave the pop-up window visible on the side of the main cockpit view, tracking the time to next waypoint while still seeing the forward view (and avoid smacking into a mountain). Seeing the FMC requires a custom camera viewpoint where I have to switch back and forth.

Of course it does need to be the correct nav gear for the aircraft, and many of the larger helicopters like this do use an FMC. So there's that.

BTW, does anyone know if the default Garmin 530 pop-up still works in this helicopter as a sort of hidden mode in conjunction with the FMC? I've seen some models that work this way. It wouldn't be completely realistic to navigate like that, but it might be an option for the FMC-averse.