Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

i7-3770K 3.5GHz upgrade?

Well, maybe you have to manage yourself a way thru the BIOS for a overclock and save yourself a lot of money. Why? I have a much older i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K running steady for several years now on 4,5 GHz with watercooling and originally collected in 2011 with 8Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM and a Geforce 580GTX and was a flagship in that time. 3 months ago I changed the 580 for a second hand Geforce 1060 and a RAM upgrade to 16Gb and running P3DV4 with all settings very dense or extreme high full at 30fps. The good old FSX all to the max in 3d vision with a steady 30fps both wirh all the ORBX stuff. I'm waiting for the Samsung Oddysey+ to come available in Europe for a good price and already know that the system is doing fine with these hardware according to the Steam VR test app. 

Water cooling is Corsair CWCH80 - soft tubing. I did not build this PC but I have built at least a dozen before and since. None of them used water cooling. I am nervous about spills when the cooler is removed. I know it is a sealed system - until it is unsealed...

H80 isn't top-notch. I would upgrade it if you intend to overclock. And if its 6 years old the pump will have had plenty of wear.

The cooler wont leak when removed unless it's defective.  They aren't as delicate as you think. Personally I'm an air cooler fan. Noctua in particular. 

• Like 1

According to msinfo32 the 3770K is running at the default speed of 3.5GHz.

No, that's the non turbo speed. It wont be. Turbo will be boosting one of the cores to 3.9 GHz. The way to tell is to run a stress test and monitor the cores with HWMonitor. 

On 1/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, martin-w said:

H80 isn't top-notch. I would upgrade it if you intend to overclock. And if its 6 years old the pump will have had plenty of wear.

The cooler wont leak when removed unless it's defective.  They aren't as delicate as you think. Personally I'm an air cooler fan. Noctua in particular.

Yes, I would upgrade this - 6 years of heavy use behind it.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:30 PM, martin-w said:

No, that's the non turbo speed. It wont be. Turbo will be boosting one of the cores to 3.9 GHz. The way to tell is to run a stress test and monitor the cores with HWMonitor. 

Hm..I'll investigate. I've heard a bit about torture-testing. I'm not sure my old 3770K was designed to stand up to modern testing. Might blow its head off!

I remember using OCCT a long time ago without problems on a machine. Prime95 seems to be used a lot. Any recommendation? 

Supporter.png

John

5 hours ago, betelgeuse said:

Yes, I would upgrade this - 6 years of heavy use behind it.

Hm..I'll investigate. I've heard a bit about torture-testing. I'm not sure my old 3770K was designed to stand up to modern testing. Might blow its head off!

I remember using OCCT a long time ago without problems on a machine. Prime95 seems to be used a lot. Any recommendation? 

3770K is perfectly capable of running OCCT, Prime 95 or any of the stress tests. All of the aforementioned existed well before the 3770K was released. The only thing to watch out for is AVX instruction sets. The latest version of Prime runs AVX, as does OCCT etc. AVX stresses the CPU to the extreme and more heat is generated. Not an issue with no overclock, but if you overclock and run AVX, especially with a less than top-notch cooler, you could generate very high temps. AVX can be disabled in Prime (or use the older version that didn't run AVX), Aida 64, and I believe in OCCT. 

I wasn't saying you should stress your CPU to the max to determine if it's running with MCE on or off, you just need to put it under load. A stress test will do that. I would say just run CineBench. And monitor the cores with HWMonitor. You will be able to see what frequency it's running at, the voltage and temps. Plus a myriad of other useful data. Or just run the sim, or any other application that puts it under load. 

For overclocking, I run Cinebench for a quick stability test after each nudge up in frequency and when I'm at the max my CPU seems to be capable of, I run Asus ROG RealBench for an hour or so. That's all I usually need. The best test of stability is the apps you usually run daily. 

Aida64 I sometimes run, with FPU off it doesn't run AVX, with FPU on it does run AVX so temps will be higher. 

• Like 1

The CPU was tested with OCCT as I had used it before, it is free, and it has built-in temp etc monitoring.  It also has a warning cut out.

The program stopped testing at around 13min. and I've attached a pic which may or may not be of use in making a diagnosis!  The message on the OCCT panel was that there was a fault in Core #2.  The temps on all cores had crept up continuously and showed no signs of stablising.

I guess the CPU has a fault, and this would fit in with the general behaviour of the system over the past year - occasional screen dumps and poor performance generally. With FSX it just could not handle the ORBX scenery, even though I never had the sliders maxed out, or even near, and I ran weather off a networked laptop. 

It seems I need to consider building or buying a new system. The PS (800W Corsair Gold) is less than 3 years old.  I have a 500GB SDD and I will keep this. The HDDs are either old or very old!

Thanks to martin-w, and all for your help and interest. 

414116763.jpg

Edited by betelgeuse

Supporter.png

John

I also tested with Cinebench. All cores were rock solid at 3.9GHz, temps around 57C on all cores during rendering. CPU score 638 cb.

GTX770 did well too at 88.77 fps. CPU temps during this also around 57C on all cores.

Seems according to Cinebench there is no problem with my CPU or GPU at a clock of 3.9GHz.  Whereas OCCT stopped testing to prevent damage after 13 mins - error in core 2.

Which to believe? 

Supporter.png

John

Try RealBench. And Aida 64, trail version. And Prime 95 version 26.6, non AVX version. You can disable  AVX in the new version, but the old version will save you the trouble. 

RealBench is very good. 

May have been just a glitch in OCCT.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Hi,

my I7-3770 runs for over 6 Years with 4,8 Ghz with BeQuiet Cooler Dark Rock3, no Problems at all.

I will wait what V5 from LM will need and then I will buy a new one. In the meantime I be happy with my 3770 in all areas.

• Like 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

Thanks again, guys. I ran the sim (FSX) again this afternoon - Orbx Southern Germany, decent amount of AI, no weather program, flying an old MAAM FSX DC3 with RXP navigation module.

There was an awful lot of stuttering right from 'brakes off'.

This is a pic of the HW monitor after about one hour - just before I turned finals to land. I was surprised that CPU#2 bore the brunt of the work, and surprised that it was 8-10C cooler than the other cores.

414120030.jpg

I will check again with RealBench and the others mentioned by martin-w. 

If the 3770K makes the 3.9 GHz grade, then I will have to change the mobo so I can o/c (see OP!). Socket 1155 boards new are impossible to find or outrageously expensive, and I am nervous of secondhand. I hate the idea of scrapping a perfectly good i7-3770K but it might come to that in the end. 😪

Edited by betelgeuse

Supporter.png

John

The stress test I mentioned will tell you better, as there will be no sim variables. Personally I'd say any stuttering you are seeing is a sim issue, not a hardware issue. Might be wrong. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Personally I'd say any stuttering you are seeing is a sim issue, not a hardware issue. Might be wrong.

If it was a sim issue, wouldn't everyone be getting it?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I ran RealBench for 3 hours = stress test passed. I ran Aida64 Extreme Trial version for 7 hours without any problems. Temps were as steady as a rock, between 74-78C.

I tested the GPU with RealBench also, again no problems. 

Unless anyone thinks I am off my head, I am going to try to source a good secondhand socket 1155 mobo and dispose of the difficult (?faulty) Gigabyte which won't let me open the BIOS/UEFI. If I manage to do that, I'll get a new cooling fan (although the old one seems to be working well), and replace the GTX770 with something has a bit more punch.

Thanks for all advice.

Supporter.png

John

As long as you get it for a good price. You may also want to look at a used computer with a 3770k as you may be able to pick up other worthwhile upgrades (like a CPU cooler and GPU) for not much more. I've seen used 3770k computers here in the US for less than a new Z390 motherboard. Keep in mind though, most simmers with 3770k systems are upgrading their entire systems.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

20 hours ago, vortex681 said:

If it was a sim issue, wouldn't everyone be getting it?

Nope, not necessarily. When I say sim issue I mean software, the sim conflicting with something. He has run stress tests with zero issues.

There are countless variables at play, thus potential for conflicts. Different software running in the background for example. Bios versions. Driver versions. Windows updates. As for the sim, we all have different add-on's installed, different sim settings. Monitor resolution's, refresh rates and on and on. 

Edited by martin-w