Sign in to follow this  
Juergen

Rudder Sensetivity

Hi,

Is there a way that I can adjust the rudder sensetivity in FSX-SE? For axis adjustments there is only "Aileron Axis", "Elevator Axis" and "Throttle Axis" in the controls setting menu.

If I deflect my rudder (Saitek X52) a minute amount, the rudder deflects fully left or right. Makes taxing very difficult.

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Did you try selecting your rudder controller in the pull-down list menu right above the sensitivity sliders?  After I selected my rudder I see Brakes (left axis and right axis) and Rudder.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Hi BF Bullpup,

I did not see, that I had to scroll further down (past the Throttle axis) to see the Rudder Axis. There I can adjust the Sensitivity and Null Zone.

But what do you mean by: " After I selected my rudder I see Brakes (left axis and right axis) and Rudder"

BTW, I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS and rotating the joystick is the rudder. But I can't seem to get the rudder adjusted properly, so it's more of a linear deflection. As soon as I twist the joystick a very small amount, the rudder fully deflects.

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

55 minutes ago, Juergen said:

But what do you mean by: " After I selected my rudder I see Brakes (left axis and right axis) and Rudder"

Sorry I saw three sensitivity sliders for 

Brakes - Left Axis

Brakes - Right Axis

Rudder

I used to own a twist joystick.  Try calibrating the twist axis.  After that, for the rudder in FSX, lower the null zone and increasing the sensitivity to get a proper range of motion (not full on/off deflection).  That is to the best of my memory as I use foot pedals now when simming.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I tried this, but if I lower the nullzone, the rudder pedals just react later.

The problem is that the rudder pedals are NOT linear - if I move them a small amount, I don't get a small deflection on the rudder pedals. It's like digital - ON/OFF or Nothing/Full.

It should be more analog - small deflection of the joystick, small deflection of the rudder pedals. I don't know if there is a way to set this in the config file.

Are your rudder pedals better for simming?

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

It sounds to me like your joystick needs calibrating (in the Windows game controllers calibration dialogue).

36 minutes ago, Juergen said:

Are your rudder pedals better for simming?

I would say pedals are definitely far superior to a twist joystick. The control available is much finer and you are able to get the proper sense of coordinating hands and feet.

Also requires far less contortion to achieve any manoeuvre where crossed controls are necessary (crosswind takeoffs/landings, sideslips, engine-out manoeuvres etc) unless you have very flexible wrists!

Try what Simon said, Juergen.  See if calibrating the twist joystick will help you.  The twist joystick I had before broke by itself so I decided to upgrade to more realistic foot pedals.  I love them and would never go back to twist joysticks.

EDIT - I personally use CH Pro Pedals.

Edited by BF Bullpup

I guess I could still use my HOTAS (Saitek X52) set up, just have the pedals control the rudder and brake - correct?

Thanks

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Strange thing:

If I calibrate/check the rudder axis/z-rotation, I get exactly what I need - a small deflection is a small red area in Windows calibration screen.

However, if I look in the sim at the pedals, there are only full deflections.

Brgds

Juergen Mader

1 hour ago, Juergen said:

I guess I could still use my HOTAS (Saitek X52) set up, just have the pedals control the rudder and brake - correct?

Yes just make sure you don't have the same axes assigned for both controllers (the HOTAS and the foot pedals).