Running FSX:SE on a laptop using FS Global Real Weather since my full setup, which uses Acrive Sky is still pending a move south.

Since there isn't a specific option for LNM to display FSGRW results similar to Active Sky, would the FSGRW weather be contained in the FSX information?

Or, is the FSX weather read directly from the server and therefore can be different than what FSGRW is generating?

Thanks,
Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

FSGRW provides its own weather. Not sure what you mean by asking if it is contained in the FSX weather....  If you are asking about ATIS/AWOS then yes.  If you start FSGRW and see from its banner that it has injected weather into the simulator, if you then tune ATIS you should find a very close match to the current or most recent METAR report for the airport.  If you are flying with a quality GPS, such as a Reality XP GNS or GTN, and you have one of the variable fields on the map set to display winds, you should find a close match to any winds aloft forecast for your flight level.

I fly with a side-companion ipad where I run FltPlan Go, which ties live into the real-world, real-time FltPlan.com aviation support system.  FltPlan.com sources its own weather and it's live moving maps have the ability to display winds aloft, also for confirmation against the GPS window indicator in the sim.  FltPlan Go allows you to easily look up the current weather at any USA airport, including for instance current altimeter. Again for comparison to what the sim is using via what altimeter is provided to you by ATC.  So there are a lot of cross checks available.

I have recently moved from FSGRW to Active Sky 16.  My reason for doing that was strictly based on initial startup time, which had slowed recently for FSGRW.  I always got spot on weather from FSGRW, and you can see from my signature footnote below, that is of great importance to me.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

Sorry, my question was somewhat confusing, but I was referring to how weather is displayed in the LNM airport information panel and tooltip. 

There is a 'Weather' tab in Tools -> Options where the user can specify which weather source(s) to display.  Active Sky is listed, but not FSGRW.

So, I was wondering if selecting Flight Simulator would reflect the FSGRW weather since FSGRW injects it's weather into FSX:SE.

Thanks.

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ernie,

On 1/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, airernie said:

Since there isn't a specific option for LNM to display FSGRW results similar to Active Sky, would the FSGRW weather be contained in the FSX information? 

Yes. But this will only work for airports close to the user aircraft. Far away airports only show interpolated weather which is often not correct. Apart from that limitation you will see what FSGRW injected into the simulator.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, airernie said:

Or, is the FSX weather read directly from the server and therefore can be different than what FSGRW is generating?

Not from any server. Weather from the simulator (options -> weather) is probably the most accurate setting.

Alex

FSGRW can also create a weather file(current_weather.txt), for example, it does this for pfpx, maybe in the future you will add support for this weather engine😊

1 hour ago, niksan29 said:

FSGRW can also create a weather file(current_weather.txt), for example, it does this for pfpx, maybe in the future you will add support for this weather engine😊

https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/issues/123

No idea when, sorry. Too much to do so far.

Alex