Sign in to follow this  
Tony747-400

Navigation Display Question.

Hi.

Wondering if this is a problem with my panel states or Possible bug. I’ve tried with Cold & Dark and Short and a custom panel I have made. Flying on the 747-400 British Airways, and Virgin Atlantic liveries. 

I’m on the RWY 08R at EGKK. The normal Map display is showing the correct heading of 079. When I switch to PLN mode to review my Flight Plan the the HDG is showing 002 MAG and the compass rose display is showing the RWY at about 130 degrees. If I go back to MAP and then press CTR to get the full compass rose then back to PLN the RWY 08L is showing it’s on a heading of 150 degrees and the heading indicator is still showing 002MAG. Making the aircraft move and in flight makes the compass rose move but not the heading indicator. Am I missing something and reading the display wrong or could someone please check if they are seeing the same thing and is indeed incorrect.

Thanks 

PLN mode depicts up as true north, so that’s why your heading shows 002. I’m having a hard time picturing the rest of what you are describing.

The purpose of this feature is to look ahead and review the flight plan as it would appear on a chart or map. It’s not a moving display and isn’t really intended to use as a primary display while in flight. 

Edited by Jetlinker

Perhaps I’m reading the display incorrectly. If I am it seems very confusing having headings that don’t move, compass rose headings that  do and both  showing them as incorrect. 

BAW uses heading up, everyone else in the world uses track up and I suspect the PLN mode is track up.  Don't compare apples and oranges, the PLN mode is not used for navigation but as Jeffery said it is to validate the entry of segments to make sure you don't have discontinuities or a segment that is 6000 nm due to a misspelled fix.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I did in the options try changing heading from heading up to track up but made no difference. I can’t understand though how the heading indicator doesn’t move when the aircraft is and the compass rose that is showing in PLN mode is completely wrong. Would be appreciated if you could have alook on your sim.

There is no compass rose in PLN mode, it is a depiction of the path with North up.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok fair enough, I don’t really understand it though so won’t use it, just don’t understand how a heading indicator stays at 002MAG when the plane is turning through 180 degrees turn 

21 minutes ago, Tony747-400 said:

Ok fair enough, I don’t really understand it though so won’t use it, just don’t understand how a heading indicator stays at 002MAG when the plane is turning through 180 degrees turn 

In the real world we use PLN only to verify fixes are correct, which is typically done preflight unless there’s a reroute. Once you go into PLN, a STEP button appears on the FMC which you press continuously to progress through all of the fixes in the flight plan, verifying that they fit into the route correctly. Aside from this function that mode is rarely ever used. 

Edited by Jetlinker
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, downscc said:

There is no compass rose in PLN mode, it is a depiction of the path with North up.

There’s half of one at the top in PLN mode, the same as Map mode.

38 minutes ago, Tony747-400 said:

There’s half of one at the top in PLN mode, the same as Map mode.

You must be using the old CRT displays.  Look in FCOM pg 10.10.67, which should clear thing up for you.  As a gentle reminder, every symbol on every display is explained in the FCOM.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 hours ago, downscc said:

everyone else in the world uses track up

Unless they're flying an Airbus 😛

Ticket sent to PMDG.

PMDG have said airport depiction is correct of the airport on ND in PLN MODE as it is a North Up display but the MAG HDG being incorrect is a bug and being looked at to be fixed.