Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Addon Organizer support for native Autogen

Hi Oliver:

As you know, with P3Dv4.4 you'll be able to have native support for merging autogen definitions from different developers. As I undertand it implies the creation of a xml file telling P3D the location of the different definitions. I'm pretty sure you know already about this.

Do you have any plans in mind to include or develop support for this with the Addon Organizer or a similar tool?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hello Ed,

P4AO can already create any type of content assignment that is described in the spec, including the category "Autogen". You can create the add-on.xml file for this (and any other type of content) on the "Other addons" tab.

What the spec doesn't say is what P3D is expecting to find there… This option has existed from the start, so I suppose that the only change that 4.4 brings is that you can have a definition file in that place too, not only .agn files.

Best regards 

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

On 1/13/2019 at 4:46 PM, Lorby_SI said:

Hello Ed,

P4AO can already create any type of content assignment that is described in the spec, including the category "Autogen". You can create the add-on.xml file for this (and any other type of content) on the "Other addons" tab.

What the spec doesn't say is what P3D is expecting to find there… This option has existed from the start, so I suppose that the only change that 4.4 brings is that you can have a definition file in that place too, not only .agn files.

Best regards 

Hi Oliver:

Yes, in that case I think you can drop your specific autogen descriptions folder from any developer inside the main P3D folder, and "tell" P3D where to locate them by creating an addon-xml file (using your tool of course) pointing to that specific folder. Thus, if the native P3D support works as intended, it should merge these autogen definitions with the P3D default and voila!.

An example of this (as taken from FSDevelopers.com) follows:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">

<AddOn.Name>Autogen Descriptions from Ed</AddOn.Name>

<AddOn.Description>Files Common to all Ed Products</AddOn.Description>

<AddOn.Component>

<Category>Autogen</Category>

<Path>Ed Autogen\Autogen</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

Where Ed Autogen is a folder inside the main P3D directory, containing an Autogen folder and inside the respective autogen descriptions.

So, what do you think?. I haven't tried this yet, since I'm still with P3Dv4.3, but planning to do my upgrade of Client and Content to v4.4 this week.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

23 minutes ago, edpatino said:

what do you think?

I wouldn't put them into the P3D folder. But otherwise, yes, that's what it should look like. But the Component category "Autogen" has always been there, and I really don't know what it did since P3D V3.x - and I never saw any scenery that made use of it.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I wouldn't put them into the P3D folder

Yes, I agree. Probably in the add-on or third-party scenery directory created outside the main P3D directory. As I remember, the P3D autogen native support was only included in the changelog when LM released v4.4.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed