Sign in to follow this  
Petermuc3

Vertex DA62 and strong winds

Yesterday I was flying LSZR-EDDM with strong winds reported especially around MUC. The aircraft was

nicely controllable in the air but taxiing in MUC with a 32 kts tailwind was nearly impossible. I was pushed

off the taxiway right and left. Is this a bit oversensitive or would you have to leave the DA52 in the hanger

in the rw?

Peter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

36 minutes ago, Petermuc3 said:

Yesterday I was flying LSZR-EDDM with strong winds reported especially around MUC. The aircraft was

nicely controllable in the air but taxiing in MUC with a 32 kts tailwind was nearly impossible. I was pushed

off the taxiway right and left. Is this a bit oversensitive or would you have to leave the DA52 in the hanger

in the rw?

Peter

The maximum demonstrated cross wind for the DA-62 is 25 Kts:

EFhrBqV.png

Source: https://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/da62/

Regards,
Simbol

Thanks Simbol, but this was on the ground and tailwind, no problems in the air.

Peter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

A 32 knot tailwimd would get a bit tricky if it got on the side of the tail fin.

David Porrett

Noticed the same, quite tricky to taxi at strong winds...

• Upvote 1

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Had the same experience with tailwinds while taxing. Very unpredictable and twitchy.

Johan Pienaar

Keeping the ground speed below 10 knots should help a lot. P3D aircraft realism settings play a big part.

I personally keep away from exceeding limitations, and I would have stayed on the ground (flew PMDG commercial 😁).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petermuc3 said:

Thanks Simbol, but this was on the ground and tailwind, no problems in the air.

Peter

Sure Peter, it's while on the ground that the wind speed is the problem, not in the air.

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You guys should try to taxi a light airplane with heavy winds IRL! 😉

EDIT: In fact, I used to fly a Metroliner. Taxiing with a 30kt tail you had to grab the controls (yoke and pedals) very very hard, or you could severe a limb! Better be the two pilots grabbing the controls at full force.

Edited by Guevorkyan
  • Like 1

Santiago de Larminat

Ground ops in high winds are tricky in light aircraft.  IRL, if there's a 32kt wind blowing, I'm leaving a plane like the DA-62 tucked safely in the hangar.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Guevorkyan said:

You guys should try to taxi a light airplane with heavy winds IRL! 😉

EDIT: In fact, I used to fly a Metroliner. Taxiing with a 30kt tail you had to grab the controls (yoke and pedals) very very hard, or you could severe a limb! Better be the two pilots grabbing the controls at full force.

Not to mention the risk of damaging the control surfaces. I haven't flown a real DA62 but my real experience suggests the OP's experience may be reasonably accurate.

David Porrett

Also, to add, in the Real World you use the ailerons and elevator to keep the airplane firmly on the ground.  When the wind is coming from in front of you, you "descend into the wind".  When it's coming from behind you, you "climb away from it."  For example, if the wind is coming from your left front you turn your ailerons to the left and push the stick forward.  If it's coming from your left rear you turn your ailerons to the right and pull the stick back.  The idea is that you keep the nose firmly planted on the ground and, by doing so, enhance your ability to steer.  You have to be careful to be aware of this when making a turn on the ground.  Not sure how well all this works in the sim.

Gregg

• Like 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

1 minute ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Also, to add, in the Real World you use the ailerons and elevator to keep the airplane firmly on the ground.  When the wind is coming from in front of you, you "descend into the wind".  When it's coming from behind you, you "climb away from it."  For example, if the wind is coming from your left front you turn your ailerons to the left and push the stick forward.  If it's coming from your left rear you turn your ailerons to the right and pull the stick back.  The idea is that you keep the nose firmly planted on the ground and, by doing so, enhance your ability to steer.  You have to be careful to be aware of this when making a turn on the ground.  Not sure how well all this works in the sim.

Gregg

Taildraggers with straight front or tail winds work the other way around though!

• Like 1

Santiago de Larminat

Most GA aircraft would be heading for a tie down, or already there, in a wind that strong.  You have to in effect, fly the aircraft on the ground.

Bill

Bill  N7IBG