Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Ethernet switch advice

Hi,

Looking for advice for an ethernet switch to keep my speed up.

Im in UK and use cable for broadband. My router shows me getting a download speed of 165mb/s and at each ethernet point in my house im still getting 165mb.

My router only has 4 connections and at at least 1 point i need more hence the need for a switch.

Can anyone offer any advice on a good switch make, that will maintain my speed, and has up to 8 connection points 

Minimum points required is 5

Many thanks

Edited by mazelda

Pete Little

Any Gigabit Ethernet unmanaged switch will do, they're all much of a muchness. Gigabit supports 1000 Mbps (125 MB/s) over Cat5E cable (which most cable is)

We use dLink in my office for smaller sizes (up to about 8 ports) and for the big switches we have Zyxel and Netgear fanless.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi Mazelda,

Networking brands are a lot about personal preference, but the following 8-port smart switches are affordable and should do just fine.  Links are to Newegg.  I'm sure others will chime in also.

- NETGEAR ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Switch (GS108T) (link)
 - Linksys 8-Port Business Desktop Gigabit Switch (LGS108) (link)
 - TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch (link)

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

What benefit would a Smart Switch give over an unmanaged switch in this application @dmiannay?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Just now, ckyliu said:

What benefit would a Smart Switch give over an unmanaged switch in this application @dmiannay?

Only the ability to manage your ports, VLAN, etc. via web interface, otherwise unmaneged will do.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

In that case I suggest the OP stick with unmanaged switch as they could cause more harm than good messing with the settings, best to leave all that configuration to the primary fibre router

support1.jpg

3 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

In that case I suggest the OP stick with unmanaged switch as they could cause more harm than good messing with the settings, best to leave all that configuration to the primary fibre router

But... some of us LIKE to tinker 🙂

• Like 1

Doug Miannay

5 hours ago, dmiannay said:

But... some of us LIKE to tinker 🙂

Doug!... then you really should get into Flight Simming! :biggrin:

FWIW, I have a few 4 and 8 port Linksys Unmanaged Gigabit Switches around here that have worked without a glitch for years.  Solid as a rock!

Greg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lownslo said:

Doug!... then you really should get into Flight Simming! :biggrin:

Funny you should say that... started some early spring cleaning the basement on Saturday and found my original boxes of FS98, FS2000, and FLY!  Brought back some memories, and also helped me realize just how fortunate we are with flight simming these days.

Doug Miannay

Ahh, yes... and the Flight Unlimited Series (gotta say III was my fav) as well as Falcon 4.0, USAF, Apache etc.  Those were the days! 

7 hours ago, dmiannay said:

... just how fortunate we are with flight simming these days.

Indeed we are!  Who'da thunk we'd be flight simming the way we are now?!  And we still get to tinker, too! 😉

Greg

• Like 1