Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Freeware map program to stop me getting lost?

Hi

Am after some advice and hope someone can help.

I have a little HP Notebook which doesn't get much use, it doesn't pack much of a punch as it has a intel core duo running at a mighty 1.86ghz. I would like to put it to good use by using it as a moving map when i am flying and also for it to show me the airport and gates when i land. I don't really want to use the progressive taxi option and hopefully it might stop me from getting lost 😀

Can anyone recommend any good freeware programs that do this, have heard of little nav map but don't know if it will show a zoomed in map of the airport complete with gates when i land

kind regards

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Yes, give Little Nav Map (LNM) a try (link).  It is a free, but incredibly powerful utility that will do the things you've mentioned.  Gate numbers and taxiway layouts are completely visible when you zoom in to the airport on the map.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 2

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

AVSIM hosts their support forums in the Freeware Forum!  Great tool!

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Little Navmap is an amazing piece of software for flight simmers. I don't fly without it anymore.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, dmiannay said:

Yes, give Little Nav Map (LNM) a try (link).  It is a free, but incredibly powerful utility that will do the things you've mentioned.  Gate numbers and taxiway layouts are completely visible when you zoom in to the airport on the map.

There is an option that you need to change after install remove the big white blob that overlays the whole Airport. I'm not at my computer right now but I believe it was show 'airport boundaries' or something similar that needs to be unchecked. After you do that, you'll be able to see all of the gates and taxiways that were underneath of it.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

5 hours ago, MDFlier said:

There is an option that you need to change after install remove the big white blob that overlays the whole Airport. I'm not at my computer right now but I believe it was show 'airport boundaries' or something similar that needs to be unchecked. After you do that, you'll be able to see all of the gates and taxiways that were underneath of it.

Go to Tools --> Options --> Map Display --> Airports Section (near top) and un-check "Diagram Boundary".  Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks for the input guys

I thought after using Little Nav Map i would report back. What an awesome program!, it has so many features and still finding my way around but i love it really like the fact it shows me the gates of the airport and my AI planes, have no excuse now getting lost on landing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer