Sign in to follow this  
fsusem36

FSX upgrade

22 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But, as nikaslan has already pointed out, FSX:SE is a different beast as far as tweaking is concerned. After years of trying to optimize the boxed version of FSX, I now have a completely un-tweaked config file and use Orbx scenery, Active Sky weather, Night Environment night lighting and mainly A2A and RealAir aircraft. I use Steve's DX10 Scenery fixer and Cloud Shadows at QHD resolution and have yet to have an OOM. There’s no "killer feature" yet in P3D which would tempt me to ditch FSX but I would never say never. FSX may be quite old but, for me at least, it's not showing its age, particularly in its Steam incarnation.

I have virtually the same add ons for FSX SE which looks great and the Steam Edition has worked flawlessly for me.

If the boxed version was the only option, I would have dumped FSX long ago. even though I could not take my Overland planes with me.

With the Steam edition, I think I still have the best of both worlds. 

If you don't think that prepare looks to be a sufficient upgrade from FSX then maybe you might want to wait until version 5 is released, which would be likely sometime within the next couple of years. FSX is a good sim, and since it was released in 2006, many add-ons have been created over the past 13 years to make it better. I foresee many happy flight simmer will still be using FSX well into the 2020's. FSX is one of those rare applications that will have a good 20 to 25 year run. No need to get into something new if what you have isn't broken.

• Like 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Have to agree with fsx - se/Steve's DX10 fixer combo users. Shadows and bloom for no noticeable frame drop and ooms in FSX-SE with pmdg high settings are very rare but they happened a lot in the boxed fsx edition and no need to blow a fortune on pc and new add-ons.. It's a worry when seeing super computers struggling with P3D so those with lower specs are back to tweaking settings again so the fsx connection hasn't improved there. Still waiting for wow factor in any sim combat or civilian but none of them including FSX-SE have it.

Perhaps DCS is leading as you can max it out on a high end system no probs but it has its own short comings in other areas

Oh well we watch and wait 

Edited by zmak
  • Like 1

ZORAN