Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

737NGX - are panels UHD standard

I'm interested in buying the 737NGX but having recently bought a new system and upgraded to a UHD monitor I was wondering if the panels would look okay on a UHD display. The only info I can find is the panels are HD quality but that was in a review on Mutley's Hangar 6 years ago.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I use the PMDG NGX in both my homecockpit setup and when flying with a Samsun 4K SUHD 55 TV.

The NGX panel is more than good enought, at least for me. Can't be that much better. If things should be improved, it must be my eyes not the NGX.

• Upvote 1

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

No they aren‘t UHD. But I fly the 737 on a 40“ 4k TV and they look really nice. PMDG did a beautiful job with this airplane. However if you search for it, there are „reworked“ cockpit textures around the internet that improve the panels even more. 

But keep in mind, the 737NGX is a really old addon, so there are some minor issues with the night lighting in Prepar3d. I‘d recommend using FSLAB‘s spotlights at night. It‘s free and works great.

• Upvote 1

Marc & Roar, thanks for your replies. Sounds as though the VC will be okay. I know the 737 MAX is in development but that’s still going to be some way off.

I rarely fly at night being retired but I have used Spotlights with Concorde. Are those replacement textures ‘legal’?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Are those replacement textures ‘legal’?

At least they have been mentioned on Avsim and even in the PMDG forums a couple of times and never has anyone told us they weren't. So I don't think there's any issue... I can look for it and send you a PM with a link.. I think they are similar to a repaint.. 

Edited by Ephedrin

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. 😊 I only ask because some developers can be very protective of their product.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. 😊 I only ask because some developers can be very protective of their product.

I know that PMDG ARE very protective and we both know that developer that is even more 😉 however it seems to me like a repaint. but if you want to be sure you always can ask in a support ticket first 😃

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Ray. First off a Happy New Year to you.

Apparently that FSL Spotlights is easily available for free, so there should be no probs there.I bet David Muerden could confirm.

Envy your bid screen. Wish I had the space or room for one. Enjoy.

Thanks Marc, I may do that. I’ve just watched a YouTube video by Blackbox711 in 4K and the instruments look great. Perhaps it’s the surrounding parts of the panel you’re referring to. That would make sense really as they’re bitmap images.

One other question. I have GoFlight modules which include two GF166s for Nav and Com. Can those be linked directly or do I need 3rd party software? Having to use the mouse to change frequencies would be a pain.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Ray. First off a Happy New Year to you.

Apparently that FSL Spotlights is easily available for free, so there should be no probs there.I bet David Muerden could confirm.

Envy your bid screen. Wish I had the space or room for one. Enjoy.

Thanks Rick and a Happy 2019 to you too. Lefteris released Spotlights last year to help customer relations, good move.

The UHD monitor is fantastic. Samsung do a 28” if 32” is too big. The move up especially with VCs is excellent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

One other question. I have GoFlight modules which include two GF166s for Nav and Com. Can those be linked directly or do I need 3rd party software? Having to use the mouse to change frequencies would be a pain.

My GF166s link directly with both COMs and both NAVs without needing the Pollipot GIT software. I need GIT to interface my EFIS and MCP PRO with the NGX though (Unable otherwise).

• Like 1

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Rick and a Happy 2019 to you too. Lefteris released Spotlights last year to help customer relations, good move.

The UHD monitor is fantastic. Samsung do a 28” if 32” is too big. The move up especially with VCs is excellent.

Hi Ray. Already have a 24-in Dell Ultrasharp. Am quite happy with that, but thanks for the heads-up. Will think about it.

also there was a non official vc texture update, very nice panels crisp HD. But PMDG had a problem with it so its hidden on the internet 🙂

6 hours ago, NBouc said:

My GF166s link directly with both COMs and both NAVs without needing the Pollipot GIT software. I need GIT to interface my EFIS and MCP PRO with the NGX though (Unable otherwise).

Thanks Normand, that's reassuring to know. I wasn't sure if PMDG had dedicated COM and NAV control or not. I also have the GoFlight MCP so will be getting the Pollipot software.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

44 minutes ago, Hypofx said:

also there was a non official vc texture update, very nice panels crisp HD. But PMDG had a problem with it so its hidden on the internet 🙂

That was confirmed by another user, thanks. Pity PMDG couldn't update them themselves.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather