Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Possible AVSIM E-Mail Problem

We have discovered a possible issue with the AVSIM e-mail system.  As you may know, when you send a PM or indicate you want to be notified about an activity on AVSIM, an e-mail is sent to your registered e-mail address.  This may or may not be happening.  For me, I have not received an e-mail since 7:09 AM this morning and this is definitely an indication there is a problem.  We have about 15 new member registrations that are awaiting e-mail validation and the members have not validated their respective account yet after several hours.  I have not seen this before and notified the AVSIM Tech and he is going to troubleshoot.  Apologize for any inconvenience!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Problem has been fixed and e-mails should be flowing once again!

• Like 2

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I had a load of emails last evening for posts earlier in the day for which I had already received a notification. I guessed something went awry but it’s a rare thing as AvSim is ultra efficient.

Glad it’s sorted. 😀

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 1/14/2019 at 3:13 PM, Jim Young said:

Problem has been fixed and e-mails should be flowing once again!

Do you know the story of the word bug.  Supposedly a bug crawled into a 40's or 50's vintage computer, fried a circuit, and the computer crashed.  Hence we say we have a "bug" in our code or system, those of us who have developed or taught software, or run a WAN like me since I did all three in my career.  Just imagine though, had a mouse crawled in that old computer we old computer geeks would be saying "there's a mouse in my code or system" and that thingie you move the cursor with at your right or left hand would be called a computer bug.  A moment for thought.

In the 60's my uncle Wally, who once drove for Gene Autry in WWII, saw something moving in his TV--when it was turned off.  As he moved towards the TV with its old fashioned picture tube he realized a mouse had crawled inside, he was living with his brother in a cottage my family owned in Cedar Lake Indiana, not far from my birth home in Sauk Village, IL, though I was born in Chicago Maternity University Hospital because of complications during my Mom's pregnancy with me. 

I was expected to be brain dead upon birth because my heartbeat had been unheard for a week in the womb.  My Mom said the Chicago Catholic Parish, along with Mayor Daley and the race car driver Gary Bettenhausen, who knew my family, had a prayer vigil for me.  My Mom told me a week later she felt a kick, and they knew I might be born alive.  But during my first five years of life I struggled with pneumonia the measles and all the childhood illnesses because I was born with what was called "mother's immunity" to all known antibiotics, except for very powerful penicillin. 

And as we know antibiotics are powerless against viruses.  Then I almost died with sudden onset appendicitis, my poodle saved my life, I was comatose in bed and she started to furiously lick me out of my fever.  By then I could barely walk to my Mom who thought it was just a stomach ache, she told me to eat some pudding and go to bed.  Had I followed her advice I would be dead.  Instead I slept by her and by morning she was certain I had appendicitis.  But she wanted to confirm it with our local doctor first because Kaiser was a half hour ambulance ride away.  The doctor confirmed it immediately by just touching me there and my Mom swept my nearly limp 11 yo body into her White Ford Maverick and somehow got us to the hospital in fifteen minutes, half the time an ambulance would have taken. 

Me, was I scared?  No, by then I figured I was on a great adventure, you know how bold young pilots are.  They shot me up with a bunch of happy juice to numb the pain and distract me from the 107 degree fever I had by then, and I was in and out of it until they wheeled me into the operating room smiling all the way, so on the children's ward I got the nickname "Smiley" as I smiled being lifted onto the surgeons table looking at all the tools they were going to hack me with.  Next thing I knew, two hours later because an appendectomy was major surgery back then, I was waking up and just asked my parents--"Is it over?"  They said yes, and I was out again for hours.  But then I woke up, tried to get out of bed and screamed as if I was being stabbed to death, that is what the post operative pain felt like. 

They jabbed a needle in me, out I went, they did that two or three times until an angelic girl around my age, a fellow patient recovering from an illness, just came to hold my hand.  And the pain went away, I fell asleep with her dark hand in my white hand, which is what kept me from growing up to be a racist, it was my first contact with an African American young girl that we did not see much in Napa.  Her compassion and strength have kept me together to this day, during my adult disability with seizures and diabetes.  It is her remembered compassion that made me believe in angels, male or female, since then.

Cactus521

Edited by John_Cillis
  • Like 1

Just to let everyone know, the e-mail system is down again.  It is under investigation and hope it will be fixed soon. 

Submit News to AVSIM