Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

Desktop Speakers

Looking to buy desktop speakers for P3D of reasonable good quality. Would appreciate your feedback/recommendations that are available in the UK market. Primary role for the speakers is to reproduce as accurately as possible various aircraft sounds.

regards

Hello Joaquin,

I do not know if this is an aternative or not but I offer it as an alternative.

About four years ago, I fell into a pawn shop in Australia and found an old LEAK (British) amplifier,  I think about 50 watts RMS and haggled the price down to AUD7.00. A Friend of mine was also selling some KEF Cadensa (American?) 10 inch speakers (good quality) and I bought them for AUD15.00. I then mounted the speakers under my desk and the amplifier under my main screen, plugged the amp into the green slot of the computer rear audio panel and fired it up.

For a total of AUD22.00 four years ago I have incredible audio and it has luckily been absolutely trouble free.

It was so good that I added a music video folder and downloaded a fair collection of my favourite songs and I listen to them (at considerabe volume) when I am not flying.

So just a suggestion for you and others who may consider going down this route. I consider the sound a far better quality and it can be a cheaper proposition than a mid range desktop speaker set.

I am just wondering now that I have mentioned this, do many other simmers use this system?

Another suggestion may be the purchase of a good quality sound card and  the headphones.  Not as cheap but I would suggest that this would be the most popular set up.

Let us know how you fare

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Klipsch is an obvious contender but unfortunately unable to find one here, Amazon used to sell  the 2.1 but no longer available. Shame.

Whatever you get, if you really want to simulate aircraft sounds you'll want a subwoofer under the desk as well as desktop speakers. You need to hear that low THUNK when the tires hit the runway in a light GA aircraft. The "crack and boom" of lightning in a thunderstorm doesn't sound right without a sub either. It's a physical sensation with a good sub that complements whatever the main speakers are doing.

Or go with headphones and optional subwoofer just for the physical vibration in your chest. If VR is the future, that's what we'll all be using anyway. 🙂

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

7 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Looking to buy desktop speakers for P3D of reasonable good quality. Would appreciate your feedback/recommendations that are available in the UK market. Primary role for the speakers is to reproduce as accurately as possible various aircraft sounds.

regards

Funny you ask--I bought a pair of Bluetooth speakers at Family Dollar for 30 bucks.  If your rig has Bluetooth (mine came with it), the wireless speakers are great because you can position them just right to get great stereo sound, theater quality, at a very cheap price.  Any Bluetooth speakers priced around this price would work.

John

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers singlehandedly raised the bar on what is defined as exceptional sound from a computer audio system. Dual horn-loaded satellite speakers and a robust subwoofer deliver room-filling, crystal-clear acoustics that takes your games, movies and music to the next level.

Features:

• Three-piece computer audio system
  • Exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn Technology
  • 200-Watt Digital Hybrid Amplifier
  • Headphone Jack and Miniplug Input
  • 31 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response range

ProMedia-3-2.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

an old LEAK (British) amplifier,

What nostalgic memories. My very first adventure into hi-fi. A quality amp built to last when Thorn Electronics produced quality parts.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

KEF Cadensa

Another nostalgic masterpiece.

Fab combo. Lucky you finding them in that pawn shop.

Rick,

Not the same shop mate.  the Leak came from a pawn shop and the Kef speakers came from a mate.

None the less, an incredible combination and for just AUD22.00. Unbelievable.

By the way, I am currently looking for a Akai M9 Reel to Reel tape recorder and a good quality record turntable, obviously second hand, but new would be nice LOL.  This would be for a dedicated music room with already acquired 2 x JBL 12 inch speakers, 2 x JBL 10 inch speakers and 2 x non descript 10 inch speakers with a JBL 10 subwoofer. At this time, I cannot locate 2 x wharfdale speakers or even some electostatic speakers, but I am looking. I am currently running a Pioneer 7.1 channel amp with this system but not really happy with it.

Yes ... nostalgia reigns supreme in this household LOL

I think I may be going overboard with my wish list here but all these components have been second hand, trouble free and incredibly cheap (important as an aged pensioner)  I literally spend hours in pawn shops whilst in Australia and have come up with some incredible bargains.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

38 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Rick,

Not the same shop mate.  the Leak came from a pawn shop and the Kef speakers came from a mate.

None the less, an incredible combination and for just AUD22.00. Unbelievable.

By the way, I am currently looking for a Akai M9 Reel to Reel tape recorder and a good quality record turntable, obviously second hand, but new would be nice LOL.  This would be for a dedicated music room with already acquired 2 x JBL 12 inch speakers, 2 x JBL 10 inch speakers and 2 x non descript 10 inch speakers with a JBL 10 subwoofer. At this time, I cannot locate 2 x wharfdale speakers or even some electostatic speakers, but I am looking. I am currently running a Pioneer 7.1 channel amp with this system but not really happy with it.

Yes ... nostalgia reigns supreme in this household LOL

I think I may be going overboard with my wish list here but all these components have been second hand, trouble free and incredibly cheap (important as an aged pensioner)  I literally spend hours in pawn shops whilst in Australia and have come up with some incredible bargains.

Regards

Tony

Tony, AFAIK, Akai, whose products were so widely available here at hi-fi stores in the UK at one time, have long bitten the dust.  I used to have one of their cassette-decks. One of the first with auto-reverse, a GRX-88.

For reel-to-reel, see if you can lay your hands, 2nd hand most likely on the excellent 7-inch reels Sony TC-377 which I bought in 1969 and to date still plays recorded tape reels, or ReVox machines, the brand leader in broadcasting studios, such as the A77 or later B77 models. They are full size reels.

Rick,

Akai, as you have mentioned, are long gone. However, there are still some examples of the4 M8.9 and 10 still around. I do have a Harmon Kardon cassette Player and numerous CD players. Sony, Revox,  Ampex are all still in the second hand market and all (if in good condition) are well worth consideration.  However, there is just something about the Akai which attracts me and it was, in fact, the best in its day.

The point remains however, that it is all nostalgia and any hopes of buying new are pipe dreams.

I still have memories of my old system (late 60s) of Akai M8, Sansui AU999, Wharfdale speakers with a forgotten brand turntable with an empire cartridge.

Unbelievable quality even by todays standards if you don't take into account surround sound and digital technology.

Such is life as a pensioner ... lots of dreams and memories.

Perhaps now we should return to the topic

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I use Bose Companion 20 multimedia speakers which my wife bought for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. They are not cheap but Bose here in the U.K. are currently selling them at a reduced price of £179.95 (normally £199.95) and IMO they are worth it as I am very pleased indeed with the quality of the aircraft sounds they reproduce. For me, good quality sound reproduction is absolutely essential as it adds considerably to the the immersive experience. These Bose speakers certainly allow that and, providing the aircraft itself has a good quality sound set, very realistic reproduction of the different phases of piston, turboprop and jet engine sounds can be achieved. As an added bonus they are relatively compact!

Bill

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Sansui AU999

That does evoke memories

empire cartridge.

same

Such is life as a pensioner ... lots of dreams and memories.

And that says it all...................sigh

1 hour ago, scianoir said:

I use Bose Companion 20 multimedia speakers which my wife bought for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. They are not cheap but Bose here in the U.K. are currently selling them at a reduced price of £179.95 (normally £199.95) and IMO they are worth it as I am very pleased indeed with the quality of the aircraft sounds they reproduce. For me, good quality sound reproduction is absolutely essential as it adds considerably to the the immersive experience. These Bose speakers certainly allow that and, providing the aircraft itself has a good quality sound set, very realistic reproduction of the different phases of piston, turboprop and jet engine sounds can be achieved. As an added bonus they are relatively compact!

Bill

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards