Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

Desktop Speakers

3 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards

Hi Joaquin,

When I first saw them, because of their relatively compact size and the fact that they had no subwoofer and no treble or bass adjustment, I did wonder how well they would handle bass but I have been impressed by the powerful bass sounds which they reproduce - certainly to my aging ears it seems very good but as they are relatively expensive it may be sensible to get more opinions than just mine!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

2 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards

I have Bose Companion 2 series III speakers for just under £100 if i recall - they do not have or need a subwoofer.

I have had several desktop sets over the years and am somewhat of an audiophile (i spend thousands on my HiFi!). Trust me when i say that you do not need a subwoofer with quality 2.0 speakers. Generally they are used by PC peripheral manufacturers to make up for the poor low-frequency quality of cheap desktop speakers and they simply cause vibration and muffled sound. Bose have put the investment into getting the speakers right in the first place. You have to recognise that you are sitting up close to the speakers so will never get an optimum audio experience.

If you do want a subwoofer, i think you would definately need to spend a lot more than £100 to ensure quality. But eitherway, do not think they are necessarily a requirement.

Also - the tidier wiring and lack of space take-up is refreshing!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I think I'd be tempted to scour Ebay. There are always some fantastic bargains in electricals, more so than anything else I've found. But as was said earlier, make sure you have a subwoofer, it will make all the difference 😉

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

32 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... But as was said earlier, make sure you have a subwoofer, it will make all the difference 😉

I could not agree with you more, the subwoofer makes the sounds robust and 'come alive'.

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

37 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

I could not agree with you more, the subwoofer makes the sounds robust and 'come alive'.

What I did last year was to get myself a transducer (sub woofer) for £45, get a splitter cable for the sound and split the sound through to an old amp I had, yanked down the treble, yanked up the bass and screwed the transducer into the base of the seat and WOW! Talk about immersion. It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

54 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

Totally agree with you, Rock. This is not acoustic jazz we are talking about, it is aircraft sounds lol... engines, switches, flaps, landing gear, auditory alerts & whatnot, etc. Yes, immersion and a robust sound is what makes us feel like we are sitting in the cockpit and, for that, audiophile-quality speakers are not critical. For acoustic jazz & our music library in general: Yes, you bet, I sure as _hit have a 'serious', kick-a_s system & set of speakers down in the Living Room. 😉😎

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

I use an 800 watt per channel amp and two 15" speakers from a recycled Conn Artiste organ console. It's kind of L O U D!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

44 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I use an 800 watt per channel amp and two 15" speakers from a recycled Conn Artiste organ console. It's kind of L O U D!

So that is for your vehicle, what do you use at home, lol!

4 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

So that is for your vehicle, what do you use at home, lol!

The speaker cabinets are made from solid wood and between the two of 'em are nearly as big as my car.  :ohmy:

No, I have them under the very long desk in my sim/library/music room. :cool:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

What I did last year was to get myself a transducer (sub woofer) for £45, get a splitter cable for the sound and split the sound through to an old amp I had, yanked down the treble, yanked up the bass and screwed the transducer into the base of the seat and WOW! Talk about immersion. It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

I like that idea!

Extending the DIY bass kicker approach, it would probably help immersion to screw a transducer to the underside of my computer desk, so I would feel vibration through the HOTAS flight controls too. And then, another transducer for the pedals on the floor. Gotta keep everything in sync. 🙂

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Bose Companion Series 3.  Absolutely awesome.

Stan

8 minutes ago, n4gix said:

The speaker cabinets are made from solid wood and between the two of 'em are nearly as big as my car.  :ohmy:

No, I have them under the very long desk in my sim/library/music room. :cool:

In 1983 I bought two 100 watt speakers per my brother's recommendation.  He worked for various stereo stores and knew his stuff and when my Technics stereo system had a short, he had it fixed for me at his shop for free.  When that system died I bought Technics again and a Sony CD/MP3 player.  My 30 yo plus speakers still work and exist at my ex wife's house, I left them for her along with the home entertainment, 60 inch projection TV I bought for her some fifteen years ago.  Instead of hiring someone to adjust the mirrors I went online and learned how to do it, saving a hundred bucks a year for her.  I also set up a movie system from the laptop I gave her for free after our divorce, because she still let me live with her until she found a new man in her life, I set up a high def cable and RGB interface she could hook up to the VGA port on her laptop, I found it for twenty bucks online, an HDMI/RGB interface with a tuner so you could adjust the signal just right.  So upstairs and downstairs she just has to take her laptop to the two interfaces I bought for her and use the movie library I created and paid for for her.  Then she dropped Cox TV and phone and went to Hulu, just paying for web access, like I do on Centurylink.  I pay much less than TV, Cable and Phone, I have free home phone service thru Text Now and free Cell Service thru Qlink, recommended by a friend where I live.  I stay within both services download and upload limits to stay free.  Lots of ways to cut costs when one is a senior on disability with diabetes.  Sadly it was because of my diabetes and terminal pancreatic disease and seizures that I had to give up real life flying.  But God has given me a day to day purpose in my remaining life and that is how I live, I do not even worry about death, I put it in the back of my mind and it stays away as long as I eat natural foods and take homeopathic medicine.

John

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, ideoplastic said:

Klipsch is an obvious contender but unfortunately unable to find one here, Amazon used to sell  the 2.1 but no longer available. Shame.

I've had them about 10 years, love them.  I had the Bose companions before that and they were great, but I prefer the Klipsch for music as well as sim play. 

Jeff Callender

22 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers singlehandedly raised the bar on what is defined as exceptional sound from a computer audio system. Dual horn-loaded satellite speakers and a robust subwoofer deliver room-filling, crystal-clear acoustics that takes your games, movies and music to the next level.

Features:

• Three-piece computer audio system
  • Exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn Technology
  • 200-Watt Digital Hybrid Amplifier
  • Headphone Jack and Miniplug Input
  • 31 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response range

ProMedia-3-2.jpg

Wow, $139 for the Bluetooth version is a steal.  I think I paid $199 for the wired version about 10 years ago.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

8 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I like that idea!

Extending the DIY bass kicker approach, it would probably help immersion to screw a transducer to the underside of my computer desk, so I would feel vibration through the HOTAS flight controls too. And then, another transducer for the pedals on the floor. Gotta keep everything in sync. 🙂

We are definitely on the same page! I was thinking along the exact same lines last week 😉

Howard