Sign in to follow this  
JerseySeven

Any fix for flickering after Win10 1809?

The "October" update just crapped onto my machine late last week.  P3Dv4.4 was running fine until then.  Since then I've experienced the flickering screen reported by others on this forum.  Setting vsync On and triple buffering in the P3D config helps slightly but does not eliminate it.  I tried rolling back to P3Dv4.3 and the flickering was still present.

At this point I'm seriously considering rolling back to Win10 1803 unless someone here has found a better solution. BTW, my gpu is Geforce 1080ti. I've tried geforce drivers 41616 and 417.35 (latest) and neither one helps.

Thanks folks.  It was in searching this forum that I realized that the problem was related to the windows update. I'd updated all manner of things trying to find a possible cause and was getting frustrated.

I've had 1809 since October and I never had any problems with flicker.

Try increasing your P3D graphic settings??

1 hour ago, JerseySeven said:

The "October" update just crapped onto my machine late last week.  P3Dv4.4 was running fine until then.  Since then I've experienced the flickering screen reported by others on this forum.  Setting vsync On and triple buffering in the P3D config helps slightly but does not eliminate it.  I tried rolling back to P3Dv4.3 and the flickering was still present.

At this point I'm seriously considering rolling back to Win10 1803 unless someone here has found a better solution. BTW, my gpu is Geforce 1080ti. I've tried geforce drivers 41616 and 417.35 (latest) and neither one helps.

Thanks folks.  It was in searching this forum that I realized that the problem was related to the windows update. I'd updated all manner of things trying to find a possible cause and was getting frustrated.

Have you tired disabling full screen optimization in P3D. Its been mentioned a few times. Fix my flicker problem. By the way, if you have the FSLabs it will uncheck the disabling full screen optimization. They will fix it on the next update.

• Right-click your P3D.exe
  • Properties / Compatibility 
  • Check: 'Disable Fullscreen Optimizations'
Edited by Wise87
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

@Wise87:  You live up to your user name!  That did the trick.  This never came up on my google search.  Works great.  This is the first time I've ever had to check "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" for anything.

@pracines:  I'm already running at 2160p with many settings maxed.  What settings specifically did you have in mind?

13 minutes ago, JerseySeven said:

@Wise87:  You live up to your user name!  That did the trick.  This never came up on my google search.  Works great.  This is the first time I've ever had to check "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" for anything.

@pracines:  I'm already running at 2160p with many settings maxed.  What settings specifically did you have in mind?

JS

I can't take credit for the fix. I was having the same issues with the latest version of Windows 10 and searched Avsim and P3D forums and found the fix. Glad it's working for you. 

Dan

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

11 hours ago, JerseySeven said:

Damm, the first time ever I could have helped someone and I’m 7 hours too late!! 😂

Had a thread on exactly the same subject a few days ago. Disabling full screen optimisation solved it for me as well.

Regards

Alan

I had the same issue last week the below fixed it.  If you rename the fslabsconfig Programe it will not change it back 

5 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Damm, the first time ever I could have helped someone and I’m 7 hours too late!! 😂

Had a thread on exactly the same subject a few days ago. Disabling full screen optimisation solved it for me as well.

Regards

Alan

14ppkc-6.png

Windows update 1809 break g-synk too...

and it is'nt fixed by disabling full screen optimisation...flickering yes.

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

2 hours ago, tooting said:

I had the same issue last week the below fixed it.  If you rename the fslabsconfig Programe it will not change it back 

I did not know this. Now maybe I can reinstall the labs again without having to wait for the update. Do you know the exact file name?

Thanks

Edited by Wise87

Dan

Limiting the frame rate to 60 or less is another simpler cure.

This (disable fullscreen opt.) fixes the flickering but causes other issues. Like one cannot use fixed refreshrates anymore. Things like 1/2 refresh-rate. And like mentioned other functions in the sync section wont work too anymore.

Sadly there is no fix that doesnt have unwanted side-effects, noone seems to care about this enough. There are hundres of posts in forum and everyone accepts the very first answer: "disable fullscreen optimizations or "use vsync". Theres exactly 1 group of ppl who are the ones who probably wont have this problem. The ones without any addons installed and able to fly in over 60 fps vsynced...Or the ones that accept immense microstutters....

Edited by Bytehunter

3 hours ago, Bytehunter said:

This (disable fullscreen opt.) fixes the flickering but causes other issues. Like one cannot use fixed refreshrates anymore. Things like 1/2 refresh-rate. And like mentioned other functions in the sync section wont work too anymore.

Sadly there is no fix that doesnt have unwanted side-effects, noone seems to care about this enough. There are hundres of posts in forum and everyone accepts the very first answer: "disable fullscreen optimizations or "use vsync". Theres exactly 1 group of ppl who are the ones who probably wont have this problem. The ones without any addons installed and able to fly in over 60 fps vsynced...Or the ones that accept immense microstutters....

I run on a 4K TV and have it set to 30Hz for smooth performance. I run my mine unlimited on the slider for smoothness. No one else that I know that is running disable fullscreen options are having refresh rate issues. 

Dan

I limit my frames in NI to 28, and that eliminated my flickering.

I know this is an old thread but this just started happening to me again after installing the Q400 that needed optional Direct X  components installed. Prior to this no flashing. but the last time those runtimes were update....9 years ago...