Thanks guys! I'll probably go with GTX 1060 or eventually 1070 if I find a good deal as it seems it handles OpenGL games much better. 

5 hours ago, Flion said:

I will certainly buy an SSD. Since we already touched the SSD topic I would love to buy an M.2 however seems that the MB doesn't support it. Can anyone confirm that? Do I have any choices except SATA?

Any suggestions for the SSD? No M.2 on motherboard? 

18 minutes ago, Flion said:

The only place you notice M.2 or NVMe is in the pocketbook. I upgraded from a SATA 850PRO to an M.2 NVMe 970PRO. No perceived difference.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

My 4770 is the K version. It is unlocked.Whatever cpu you go for think about getting a K version.

Dave

19 hours ago, Flion said:

Thanks guys! I'll probably go with GTX 1060 or eventually 1070 if I find a good deal as it seems it handles OpenGL games much better. 

Nothing wrong with the Samsung drives.  I have used Crucial and Samsung  and have been very satisfied.  My Crucial is one of the earlier models and it is still going strong.  

Matt Wilson

19 hours ago, Flion said:

Nothing wrong with the Samsung drives.  I have used Crucial and Samsung  and have been very satisfied.  My Crucial is one of the earlier models and it is still going strong.  

Matt Wilson

I eventually ended up with MSI GTX 1060 AERO ITX 3G OC and Crucial MX500 500 GB SSD. I'm very keen to try the whole setup however I'm out of my hometown for another 3 weeks which makes me increasingly impatient to find out if it will be able to sustain a playable framerates. What are your thoughts? How should I tweak the settings for this configuration?

Also I will install Win 10 from scratch. I read that FSX should be installed to C:\FSX. Any other useful suggestions?

I'd put FSX on a separate SSD.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

18 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I'd put FSX on a separate SSD.

Jim Driskell

Why? The old advice about keeping FSX separate was more for HDDs to prevent the drive becoming fragmented and slowing down loading the sim. Modern SSDs are so fast that it's not a problem (assuming there's enough space) having everything on the same drive.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

You may be right but I've got an old box with a 1 G HDD so I installed a SSD for FSX. And the SSDs aren't very expensive.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

21 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Why? The old advice about keeping FSX separate was more for HDDs to prevent the drive becoming fragmented and slowing down loading the sim. Modern SSDs are so fast that it's not a problem (assuming there's enough space) having everything on the same drive.

Quite true, so long as you have space on a SSD.  With SSD's, the only reason to put FSX on a separate SSD is for drive space consideration.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.