Sign in to follow this  
CargoluxPilot748

PMDG 747-8 EFB Intersection Takeoff calculation

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask if the intersection takeoff calculation is planned for the EFB in the 747-8? Would be awesome. Thank you. I really appriciate your work!

Greetings Dennis

Dennis | CargoluxPilot

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, Dennis Etienne Ratzel said:

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask if the intersection takeoff calculation is planned for the EFB in the 747-8? Would be awesome. Thank you. I really appriciate your work!

Greetings Dennis

I was thinking this myself during my last flight.

Does anyone know where intersection distances can be viewed?  I can't seem to find anything on the charts. With that information, the shortening distances could then be manually entered. Then we could do the common KJFK "31L Shortened" takeoffs.

17 minutes ago, MattS said:

I was thinking this myself during my last flight.

Does anyone know where intersection distances can be viewed?  I can't seem to find anything on the charts. With that information, the shortening distances could then be manually entered. Then we could do the common KJFK "31L Shortened" takeoffs.

I do not believe this are available on the "generic" charts at least Jeppesen. There might be "special" extra charts for each airliner which contain these info on specific airports as per airliner request.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I just checked it with navigraph charts. On the airport contd page it also says take off info. At jfk there is no data available for intersections while at Amsterdam this data was available.

4 minutes ago, Dennis Etienne Ratzel said:

Okay, so it's not planned yet, right?

As far as I know there are no such information available on the navdata files.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd want to decrease my runway length in a heavy (747/777).  If you are that light then you are not making money.  Pilot's three favorite things: Fuel in the tank, altitude below and runway ahead.  In reality, any such operation would most certainly be backed up with heaps of that expensive data operators keep on each airport.  It's not something that we can expect to see.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I presume you heard the  31L shortened at JFK by listening to the YouTube videos of Steve the ground controller.  If you listen, almost all of those are for airlines that fly 737 or similar aircraft, not heavies.

Bob Zolto

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, downscc said:

I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd want to decrease my runway length in a heavy (747/777).  If you are that light then you are not making money.  Pilot's three favorite things: Fuel in the tank, altitude below and runway ahead.  In reality, any such operation would most certainly be backed up with heaps of that expensive data operators keep on each airport.  It's not something that we can expect to see.

Runway 31L at K is common at JFK for just about anyone, unless you make a specific request otherwise, which isn't commonly necessary.

Kyle Rodgers

12 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Runway 31L at K is common at JFK for just about anyone, unless you make a specific request otherwise, which isn't commonly necessary.

Not really sure about K, but from listening to LiveATC, it seems like they're more likely to use KE.

2 hours ago, Bob_Z said:

If you listen, almost all of those are for airlines that fly 737 or similar aircraft, not heavies.

I don't think Qantas is flying a 737 or smaller into JFK, and they've taken off from 31L at KE all the time.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

I don't think Qantas is flying a 737 or smaller into JFK, and they've taken off from 31L at KE all the time.

But they fly to lax first so the maximum payload or fuel isn’t needed.

50 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

But they fly to lax first so the maximum payload or fuel isn’t needed.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but my point being somebody can't make a blanket statement that "almost all of those are for airlines that fly 737 or similar aircraft, not heavies." In any event, from listening to LiveATC, there have been times when the pavement behind KE was closed, so everyone, including all the heavy jets, had to take off from KE.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

5 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Not really sure about K, but from listening to LiveATC, it seems like they're more likely to use KE.

Point still stands: common use of "whatever is not full length."

Kyle Rodgers

Yup, I stand corrected.  No one has mentioned the ability to use NOTAMS to shorten your runway, effectively providing a way to calculate from an intersection if you know the distances.  See EFB Manual pg 82.

Dan Downs KCRP