Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Carenado Falcon 50....any luck getting it to follow GTN?

Hey Guys,

Bought the Falcon 50 and did a undocked window install of the GTN.  This same procedure has worked perfect on the Carenado CJ2...and the gauge works fine, display wise....however it does not seem to want to engage and fly the route when I hit NAV.

Autopilot is on, set to FMC, and it even displays the waypoint data on the Carsnado/Collins Nav display and the deviation line aligns with the course, but it wont track the path.

Heading selector works to manually turn the aircraft, but the NAV button does not (yet does on the CJ2).

Any ideas?

pic below.  I know it says HDG on the display...the issue is I click the NAV button and no switch.  I think I'm just missing something...someone tell me its something silly. 🙂

M9CGVI.jpg

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

7 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Hey Guys,

Bought the Falcon 50 and did a undocked window install of the GTN.  This same procedure has worked perfect on the Carenado CJ2...and the gauge works fine, display wise....however it does not seem to want to engage and fly the route when I hit NAV.

Autopilot is on, set to FMC, and it even displays the waypoint data on the Carsnado/Collins Nav display and the deviation line aligns with the course, but it wont track the path.

Heading selector works to manually turn the aircraft, but the NAV button does not (yet does on the CJ2).

Any ideas?

pic below.  I know it says HDG on the display...the issue is I click the NAV button and no switch.  I think I'm just missing something...someone tell me its something silly. 🙂

M9CGVI.jpg

Hi Steve. The PL21 gauges in the Carenado Falcon 50 have been completely rewritten, Thats the reason it does not work with tht GTN 750's. However, there is an excellent mod by Ramon Barreda (@RamonB) that fix this and works great. It was based on F1 GTN but I tested it with the great RXP GTN 750  and works OK. I suggest you go to the the Carenado Falcon 50 forum in Avsim (https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/357-the-carenado-support-forum/) and PM Ramon with your email address and he will sent you the mod. You won't regret!!

Best REgards,

Roberto Alvarez

Hi,

if not a bug in our latest v2.5.11, it probably means the aircraft NAV mode button doesn't arm the FltSim NAV mode, meaning the implementation of the autopilot in this aircraft is 'custom' and doesn't use the default A/P.

You may cross check this in adding a window to the panel.cfg file with default A/P gauge:

[Window##]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=150,100
position=8
visible=1
gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP, 0, 0, 150, 100

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

15 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

if not a bug in our latest v2.5.11, it probably means the aircraft NAV mode button doesn't arm the FltSim NAV mode, meaning the implementation of the autopilot in this aircraft is 'custom' and doesn't use the default A/P.

You may cross check this in adding a window to the panel.cfg file with default A/P gauge:

[Window##]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=150,100
position=8
visible=1
gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP, 0, 0, 150, 100

Thanks!

I'll check it out and let you know.

I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet.....will do that 1st....just wanted to know if there was an already known issue with this plane. 

If the update does not address it I'll try the gauge....but this is the 1st bird where it has not worked so i was thinking it was either my lack of knowledge with her or an issue a few simmers already had with her and found a quick solution.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

The default A/P test is a good one to cross check what is happening behind the scene, unless you do use more sophisticated 'simvar monitoring' tools (X-Plane has a standard 'dataref editor' tool sadly none equivalent in FltSim).

I'd suggest you update to v2.5.11 though as 'Panel Instruments' options have been completely reviewed.

Release notes extract worth of interest for this topic:

v2.5.11

• New: Autopilot NAV->APPR automatic sequencing with AFMS GPS Selected Auto.
  • New: defaults.ini file for third party aircraft vendors (see manual).
  • New: Additional fine-grained WAAS failure variables (Professional license Only).
  • New: rxpGpsDebug!variables (XML gauge) to monitor GTN (simvars override and data out).
  • Fixed: TOGGLE_WINDOW keyboard shortcut.
  • Fixed: HSI/VOR needle deviation limits.
  • Enhanced: Add-on menu and SimConnect initialization.
  • Enhanced: Add-on Panel Assistant presentation and logic.
  • Enhanced: GUI Settings Panel presentation and logic.
  • Enhanced: GUI Settings Panel AFMS settings simplified.
  • Enhanced: TAWS limits auto-detection.
  • Enhanced: Instruments/Master pilot links and simvars override (Panel Instrument Settings).
  • Enhanced: Instruments/Master pilot links when using both GNS and GTN.
  • Enhanced: User's Manual pagination and illustrations
  • Enhanced: Further stability and performance enhancements. 

rxpGpsDebug!variables (XML gauge):
It is an xml gauge designed to help 3rd party aircraft vendors to monitor GTN integration and the various simvar overrides.
It Installs to "Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\Gauges" and is pre-configured in RXP add-on.xml.

Add to the panel.cfg file:
[Window##]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
position=0
visible=1
always_visible=1
ident=16000

size_mm=128,256
gauge00=rxpGpsDebug!variables, 0, 0, 128, 256

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

9 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Carenado uses a priority Autopilot for their Proline system. In order to follow a GPS it has to be "hacked"/ Modified. I believe someone is working on a GTN mod for the Falcon . May check the Carenado Forum here.

Edited by Adrian123

Thanks Roberto and Adriana.

Ramon sent me the mod and I'll try it when I get home as another solution but I actually prefer to undock the GTN and move it to my tablet so it acts a a real touchscreen application. 🙂

I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks for the replies!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Though I'm not familiar with the mod, probably no reason why you couldn't still do that Steve. Or at least add it as a popup using the RXP GUI.

Edited by Adrian123

8 hours ago, RXP said:

New: Autopilot NAV->APPR automatic sequencing with AFMS GPS Selected Auto.

Is there any Garmin reference work on how this works?  How and when to execute? Does it just sequence from off the flight plan onto a loaded approach?  Or does the approach need to be both loaded and activated?  Those are two different options when loading an approach procedure in the GTN.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yes it is documented, but not in the Pilot's guide (it is an installation feature)

AUTO
When in GPS mode and whenever a GPS approach mode is active, no associated messages appear and no pilot action is required. The pilot is also allowed to select automatic or manual GPS to ILS CDI transitions on the System Setup page.

PROMPT
When in GPS mode and whenever a GPS approach mode is active and the pilot has enabled the A/P APR Outputs (an associated message is displayed telling the pilot to enable the A/ P APR Outputs). This setting will not allow the pilot to select automatic GPS to ILS CDI transitions on the System Setup page (only manual transitions are permitted). For Honeywell (Bendix/King) KFC 225 and KAP 140 autopilots.

Because integration in our simulators isn't so constrained to what autopilot type/model is in use in the aircraft, our implementation simulates the 'pilots' point of view (but we do output the necessary signals so that any 3rd party A/P developer could really make the A/P work like a real one).

In short: you are in NAV mode + GPS Selected Auto: it will arm the A/P APPR mode for you, otherwise if GPS Selected Prompt: it will prompt you to arm the APPR manually.

40 minutes ago, RXP said:

if GPS Selected Prompt: it will prompt you to arm the APR manually.

Still scrambling to figure this all out.  Where is this selection executed?

Does this GPS Selected Prompt reference just mean that it is when the GTN is annunciating say LPV or RNAV+V?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Very easy:

1) change the AFMS GPS Selected to prompt

2) fly, choose an approach (not sure if activated or not but I guess activated)

3) when the time comes, it prompts you.

Really nothing special: just reproduces what you'd get IRL with a Bendix Kind A/P (this mode is primarily there just for the BK A/P).

38 minutes ago, RXP said:

Very easy:

1) change the AFMS GPS Selected to prompt

????

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Failed.

Tried every suggestion....nothing seems to work.

I've never had any luck integrating the GTN into the VC, I just always like undocked.....but if it can only work in the VC I'll fly it that way...as of now, I can't seem to get any method to work. 😞

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

14 hours ago, Ralvarez232 said:

Hi Steve. The PL21 gauges in the Carenado Falcon 50 have been completely rewritten, Thats the reason it does not work with tht GTN 750's. However, there is an excellent mod by Ramon Barreda (@RamonB) that fix this and works great. It was based on F1 GTN but I tested it with the great RXP GTN 750  and works OK. I suggest you go to the the Carenado Falcon 50 forum in Avsim (https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/357-the-carenado-support-forum/) and PM Ramon with your email address and he will sent you the mod. You won't regret!!

Best REgards,

Roberto Alvarez

Hey Roberto....would you mind sharing your panel.cfg entries....I'm struggling to know how to exactly replace the F1 GTN lines in Ramon's cfg with the RXP ones.

Update....I have it partially working...one issue (that may have been fixed with 1.2 is the source is reading VOR1...but in the HSI it shows GPS and it in fact now tracing it ok! 🙂

More updates when I have them....would like to see the guage in the VC as I've never really tried it....maybe I'll like it 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg