Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Bye Bye Miss America Pie

We're an eclectic collection of folks here in this community with wide and diverse opinions on just about every topic... and this one is sure to bring out some emotional comments.

I dropped Win7 about 6 months before Win10 RTM and never looked back.  Not that I thought Win7 wasn't an excellent OS (it certainly was), but because I've been that way with all OS releases since Win98.  I think Win10 is excellent as well, but certainly not perfect.  There's never been a perfect OS, to my knowledge.  I just love new software, and Win10 hasn't let me down in any significant way yet.  We all have opinions...

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

The good news is we don't have worry about upgrading to Win 11 and addon developers will soon have only one OS for the sim to work on.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm in the stalled process of building a new system and am still planning on trying to get Windows 7 on it. I think that there is a higher probability of a Windows 10 forced update messing up my system than getting any malware on Windows 7.

Ted

Edited by Ted Striker
  • Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Hi Folks,

And here I thought this post was about a V-Tail Bonanza...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Noooooooooooooo. I hate Win10 with a passion: the user interface, the spying, the pushed updates that regularly break P3D addons. I think I'll be sticking with my nice stable Win7 environment as long as I can.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Windows 10 is great. Never had any issues. Jumped on the windows 8 train the day of launch same as when the free windows 10 upgrade came out! Some people don't like to take risks in life 😉

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

I'm in the stalled process of building a new system and am still planning on trying to get Windows 7 on it. I think that there is a higher probability of a Windows 10 forced update messing up my system than getting any malware on Windows 7.

Ted

I believe it is true that Win7 won't work with the 8-series cpu's -- not sure about the 9's -- what cpu are you going with?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Win 10 spying well they are mild compered to what the others are doing, I'm surprised users use WIN 7 if they feel like that about Microsoft.  

Just hope your hardware works after next year as manufactures will have no need to make it win7 compatible or the drivers an expense they no long have take.  

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Win 7 SUKS

Regards bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I've got 5 computers, but only one has W7.  I guess it's time to get it up to speed. 🤷‍♂️

18 hours ago, Mace said:

I believe it is true that Win7 won't work with the 8-series cpu's -- not sure about the 9's -- what cpu are you going with?

I have an 8086 and a Z370 motherboard. People have gotten Win 7 to run on the Z370 motherboards but I have not heard of any success with the Z390 boards. I may not be successful but I am going to give it the college try before succumbing to Win 10.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

23 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

People have gotten Win 7 to run on the Z370 motherboards but I have not heard of any success with the Z390 boards. I may not be successful but I am going to give it the college try before succumbing to Win 10.

Why? I really don't understand the animosity against Windows 10. Yes, there have been issues but no more than Windows 7 had in its early days and most of the problems have generally only affected a very small (but very vociferous) number of users. I know a number of people who don't have Windows 10 but seem to hate it with a vengeance based solely on what they've read (often inaccurately) on line about it! I also don't understand the criticism of the UI. The latest updates have made it easy to customise it (without third party add-ons) so that it looks almost the same as Windows 7 if that's what you want - you haven't had to have the annoying tiles for quite some time. Similarly, it's not difficult to turn off all of the data collection functions if you're worried about privacy (and, of course, you never use Google, Facebook, Twitter, or the myriad of web sites that collect more about you the Windows does). You can easily set Windows 10 to stop automatic driver updates and only allow security updates (which I consider essential if you ever go online). The hundreds of thousands of systems worldwide affected by the WannaCry ransomeware attack in 2017 shows the potential danger of not keeping your OS up to date.

I've used Windows 10 almost since it was released and keep it fully updated (1809, but without driver updates) and have yet to have a significant problem. It boots noticeably faster than Windows 7 and just seems generally snappier to me. If you are ever likely to use DX12 (or whatever comes next), with the increasing number of games and sims that support it, then Windows 10 is your only option. Fewer and fewer hardware manufacturers are releasing drivers for Windows 7 and, as has already been pointed out, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get new systems to even run without Windows 10.

For those people worried about leaving Windows 7, I'd say don't believe all you hear about Windows 10. The reality is that it's an excellent OS and many of the "problems" people have with it often end up being either just finger trouble or not directly related to the OS at all. Like anything new there's a learning curve but it's well worth the effort IMHO.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

windows 10. The PC POLICE! The extreme security makes it a total PITA! I feel a Large part of FS addon problems are due to W10 security./Window defender bender