Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Dark atmospheric bar on the horizon

Why is the haze layer near the horizon so obvious at sunrise or sunset? If I look towards the Sun, there is this clearly visible "dark bar" that extends up from the horizon. Real world haze layers do not look like that. How do I get rid of it without switching to "Unlimited visibility" (which is unrealistic)?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Why is the haze layer near the horizon so obvious at sunrise or sunset? If I look towards the Sun, there is this clearly visible "dark bar" that extends up from the horizon. Real world haze layers do not look like that. How do I get rid of it without switching to "Unlimited visibility" (which is unrealistic)?

A picture is worth 1,000 words I think.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Whenever I see a dark atmospheric bar on the horizon, I pull over and go in for a drink. 🤣

A lot of it is to do with the settings on your graphics card and what they are capable of rendering. Some of it is due to the textures, and some of it is simply due to the fact that P3D is really in need of a much better rendering engine, which it is going to get apparently. In the meantime, just pretend it's an inversion layer.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

99% guarantee it's either your sky textures or something to do with a shader preset.  Most sky textures in the P3D world, despite looking great in pictures are not put together well for the sim- the banding you see is partly a result of this, and it's very pronounced during dawn and dusk.  My advice is to either go back to defaults or experiment until you find a dawn/sunset texture that's not as annoying.

Edited by dal330200

I am using a set of sky textures from REX4 Texture Direct Enhanced Edition. I will experiment with a few different textures (although I do not expect this to solve the problem), and maybe post a screenshot.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have the exact same problem and don't have Rex4 texture direct enhanced edition.  

I do have Skyforce, ACSA, Envtex and Envshade.    Betting it's one of those four.    I'll do some experimenting and we'll see.    

JH

To be fair, I'd say this issue has been around since long before P3d (I can remember it in FS9) and is always related to add-on textures.  It used to annoy me a lot and I found the simple fix is to use default cloud textures.  After installing 4.4, I didn't bother installing any kind of clouds/weather engine for a while an never saw this banding on the horizon.  It's there now though, and like before, hardy visible in certain directions and really obvious in others.

Cheers

Paul Golding

For the record, I discovered a half decent solution to this problem. I needed to disable volumetric fog. The problem of stars shining through that haze layer still exists, but I guess we will probably never get a solution for that.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Taxi to Gate 13 at EGAA Belfast International with a beautiful sunrise in front of me....and no dark bar on the horizon :cool:

0nuvilrg17u2i0f6g.jpg

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm not a fan of how volumetric fog is rendered in P3D. The effect on terrain is nice, but the way it blends with the sky textures and clouds is terrible. 

16 hours ago, molleh said:

I'm not a fan of how volumetric fog is rendered in P3D. The effect on terrain is nice, but the way it blends with the sky textures and clouds is terrible. 

Could you elaborate on what is bothering you about how volumetric fog blends with sky textures and clouds?

He is probably referring to the "dark bar" that is the topic of this thread. It looks ridiculous, even with visibility set to 50 miles.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png