Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Monitor issue - washed out colors

Man, I don't have any luck with new monitors. I just returned AOC Q2778VQE because of some "motion-blur" issues. I decided I'll just go with standard HD monitor and got myself ASUS VN289Q. There's no more "motion-blur" issue in P3D, I'm happy about that. But there's a new problem. The screen looks washed-out like it's a white transparent overlay over the image all the time (not just in P3D but in general, desktop, everywhere). The monitor has this "Splendid" modes like standard, scenery, movies, night,... One would expect that Standard is the "normal" mode but the image is totally washed-out. Other modes are pretty much useless... I just want a "normal" image. I already reinstalled Nvidia drivers, the resolution is set to native 1920x1080. I tried to change brightness and contrast settings but it only made it worse. Anybody had a similar issue? Is this just the way this monitor is or is there a solution to the problem?

I also noticed that in NVCP under "Change resolution" my "native" resolution of 1920x1080 is under "HD" and not "PC" resolutions. There is no 1920x1080 under PC resolutions. Could this have something to do with the issue?

Edited by 0Artur0

I got it!

If I have monitor connected via DisplyPort-DisplyPort cable then the computer thinks it's HD TV and sets native resolution in HD section in Nvidia Control Panel. I happen to had a DVI-DisplayPort cable and tried connecting the monitor with that one. The picture is perfect! The native resolution with this cable is in PC section as it should be. Before I switched cables I also changed the resolution to one not native but in PC section. The picture was fuzzy and the proportions were wrong but no washed out image, blacks were black, so it was about if the native resolution is in HD or in the PC section. The only problem now is that there is no sound via that cable. How can I convince the computer that my monitor is not TV if I use DP-DP cable? What to do so the native resolution in NVCP appears under PC and not TV?

Here's how NVCP settings look: https://imgur.com/a/xlMuPok

Edited by 0Artur0

Hi Tomas,

Try a HDMI-HDMI cable. That can certainly carry sound.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 1/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Tomas,

Try a HDMI-HDMI cable. That can certainly carry sound.

I will but there's a catch. My GPU has 2 DP and 1 HDMI port. I already use HDMI for the connection to my TV since it only has HDMI. So I'll try to get HDMI-DP cable and try that.

Anyways, the best solution would be to somehow make DP-DP work as it should. I have no idea why it doesn't. Currently, I use DVI-DP cable and the picture is perfect but there's no sound. 

50 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I will but there's a catch. My GPU has 2 DP and 1 HDMI port. I already use HDMI for the connection to my TV since it only has HDMI. So I'll try to get HDMI-DP cable and try that.

Anyways, the best solution would be to somehow make DP-DP work as it should. I have no idea why it doesn't. Currently, I use DVI-DP cable and the picture is perfect but there's no sound. 

DVI cannot carry sound. DisplayPort can. I use a DP connection between my card and monitor and there's no problem with the correct resolution being used.

Can you just clarify your situation? You have a TV which can support sound. Is that your primary P3D display? And if you want a second display for a moving map etc. then why the need for sound on that one?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No, no... I have only one monitor.. it's a PC monitor. If I use DP-DP cable to connect my monitor to my PC the NVCP doesn't recognize it as a PC monitor but as a TV (native resolution under HD section). The result is "washed out image". If I use DVI-DP cable the monitor is recognized as a PC monitor and the image is perfect but no sound.

Tomaz, have you installed the monitor drivers? Is it correctly identified in Device Manager?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That's a bit naughty of Asus. My BenQ came with drivers as should most monitors. Otherwise how do you know what resolutions and refresh rates are allowed?

All I can suggest is you run with a DP connection, native resolution at 60Hz (30Hz if available) and then adjust contrast, brightness and colour for the best picture.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, 0Artur0 said:

Anyways, the best solution would be to somehow make DP-DP work as it should. I have no idea why it doesn't.

It could be the DP cable. Have you tried a different DP to DP cable?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit